Dance Cardio Alternative

Options
sugarplumj
sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
Hello!
I just finished TAM Day 150 - Hipcentric, and still love it. The first few months were fantastic as I could watch my body transform. Now, however, I seem to have hit a bit of a plateau (I posted Plateau Woe on the main board last week).
I have only done the Dance Cardio a few times, and this is not just due to laziness or finding it really jarring without the proper sports bra, but because I live in a crumbling brownstone and I feel like I am shaking the entire house! I did it straight through in my apt. last week and my downstairs neighbor emailed my fiance. greaaaat.
I have looked into getting a Rebounder, too, but I hestitate due to noice as well as the space issue.

Has anyone done TA at any level and done a different cardio workout, eg., Running (which I would prefer to avoid, to be honest), or kickboxing or the like?

The second part of my question is regarding caloric intake. I have never done Tracy's prescribed meal plan, as I think it is way too strict. I started out at 1200 cals/day, eating back workout cals. As of a March I officially hit a plateau. I have done many versions of checking BMR, and find the average tells me I need my intake to be closer to 1600-1700 cals/day. I am terrified of increasing to this amount for fearing of gaining back even more. So consdering TAM mat exercises and a new type of cardio, I would love any feedback and insights.

I look forward to hearing from you!
SJ

Replies

• HeidiYogi
    HeidiYogi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I just finished TAM Day 150 - Hipcentric, and still love it. The first few months were fantastic as I could watch my body transform. Now, however, I seem to have hit a bit of a plateau (I posted Plateau Woe on the main board last week).
    I have only done the Dance Cardio a few times, and this is not just due to laziness or finding it really jarring without the proper sports bra, but because I live in a crumbling brownstone and I feel like I am shaking the entire house! I did it straight through in my apt. last week and my downstairs neighbor emailed my fiance. greaaaat.
    I have looked into getting a Rebounder, too, but I hestitate due to noice as well as the space issue.

Has anyone done TA at any level and done a different cardio workout, eg., Running (which I would prefer to avoid, to be honest), or kickboxing or the like?

The second part of my question is regarding caloric intake. I have never done Tracy's prescribed meal plan, as I think it is way too strict. I started out at 1200 cals/day, eating back workout cals. As of a March I officially hit a plateau. I have done many versions of checking BMR, and find the average tells me I need my intake to be closer to 1600-1700 cals/day. I am terrified of increasing to this amount for fearing of gaining back even more. So consdering TAM mat exercises and a new type of cardio, I would love any feedback and insights.

I look forward to hearing from you!
    SJ

Hey girly!

Had no idea this group was here,how cool!

Anyhow, regarding the dance cardio. Yeah, it's pretty stomping heavy. I tried doing it while on vacation in a hotel room and it was horrible I stopped. I was shaking the entire floor, ugh! At home I can do whatever I want but I've had lots of problems with severe pains in my ankles and shins and I'm not that overweight, I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong or if oths also have the same problems. Anyhow, I have been mixing up my cardio now but still dancing. I've been doing Zumba and I burn a ton of calories doing that and yeah I'm sore but it's not shooting pains like I got from tam dc. I also recently purchased through groupon goods Shaun T's Rockin' Body workout DVDs and love his dance workouts! They are fairly low impact and still burn a lot more calories than doing tam DC, crazy, right??

I've had a recent obstacle that I just figured out so I haven't been losing since I started working out at least 5x a week about 5 weeks ago but it's because my calorie goals and intake were way off due to a miscalculation on my part. OOPS! Oh well. I just figured it out on Monday of this last week so here we go. At least I'm being consistent with my workouts with minor aches and pains which is great. Hoping to see some results here soon. You'll be able to see also since we're already friends on here! :)

Also, about your calories. I am following the TDEE calculation minus 20% and NOT eating back my exercise calories (which was my mistake I made 6 months ago when I initially calculated my TDEE). My daily calorie goal, workout or not, is 1,718. I am 5'7", 35 years old, currently 174 when I recalculated on Monday and looking to get down to 145. I can find the link if you would like to figure yours out and either send it to you or post it here but I highly believe that eating 1,200 calories is not good for you in the long run. I did that initially when I started TAM and it worked for a while but then I also hit a plateau and became very frustrated. Let me know if you're interested in trying it out! I feel and believe that your body needs the proper fuel and nourishment to maintain your workouts and that you must et more to weigh less! :)

I'm also thinking of trying out another at home dance workout DVD but haven't figured out which one yet. If anyone has any suggestions,I'll take them! Thanks!

Heidi.
  • sugarplumj
    sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Also, about your calories. I am following the TDEE calculation minus 20% and NOT eating back my exercise calories (which was my mistake I made 6 months ago when I initially calculated my TDEE). My daily calorie goal, workout or not, is 1,718. I am 5'7", 35 years old, currently 174 when I recalculated on Monday and looking to get down to 145. I can find the link if you would like to figure yours out and either send it to you or post it here but I highly believe that eating 1,200 calories is not good for you in the long run. I did that initially when I started TAM and it worked for a while but then I also hit a plateau and became very frustrated. Let me know if you're interested in trying it out! I feel and believe that your body needs the proper fuel and nourishment to maintain your workouts and that you must et more to weigh less! :)

I'm also thinking of trying out another at home dance workout DVD but haven't figured out which one yet. If anyone has any suggestions,I'll take them! Thanks!

Heidi.

Hey Heidi,
    First I want to say that you look amazing, so kudos for being fit, and with that, don't get too wrapped up in the scale number. I know it's a hard cycle to break, and I also know that you know this, but just saying, you look fantastic!

I used the Scooby calculator to calculate TDEE. I am doing that with a 15% deficit right now, and I have gained a few pounds back, but still feeling ok. Things fit, though not the same way in all the same places (eg, my hips are smaller, but my stomach isn't as flat--very weird and new to me!)

I would LOVE to check out the Shaun DVD's, and will def keep an eye out for the deals
    1200 cals a day is just plain old stupid. I can't believe I did it for so long (eating back cals, of course, but STILL!)

thanks for the feedback!
  • runner4546
    runner4546 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

Anyone in here doing different cardio than the DC? I really dislike it! I watched a few of her rebounding videos and am doing that on my easier days - I've just starting Zumba (today was my second class) and I LOVE it. Isn't that much different than DC so I figure might as well so something I enjoy.

I am a recovering cardio (spin, running, stairmill, elliptical) addict so this is all new to me, but so far so good!
  • happy_travels
    happy_travels Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am not on my Tracy Train at the moment but when I am I don't follow her cardio. I do either:

Petra Kolbers 1 2 3 Dance
    http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/petra-kolbers-3-2-1-dance-7924

Ellen Barretts Barefoot Cardio
    http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/ellen-barretts-barefoot-cardio-5747

TurboKick

Zumba Class

Running

When I completed bootcamp for the first time (and got AMAZING results) I did TAM and Petra Kolbers video exclusively.

I need to update my pics really bad so you can see what I am talking about!

Good luck finding something!
  • amandajane3000
    amandajane3000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am day 6 L2 Omni Meta, I do her DC on a rebounder, works just as good in my opinion. On the Meta community, someone mention something called TA Tel Aviv rebounder workout on YouTube, have a go at that as well, really kicks butt! I just stick the DC on and follow the moves and sometimes freestyle with my rebounder. I would never do the DC on a hard floor, my knees and soles would not take it!