Please help

Options
Hello I found out today I need to follow the Paleo diet, I have no clue what to eat or make etc: so I'm looking for new friends so I can basically nose at your food diaries lol ... Please add me thanks so much :D

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I recommend you reading Practical Paloe or It start with Food. Both are excellent resources. Paleo is basically no sugar, no grains, no legumes (why peanuts are legumes) and depending on how strict you are no diary. With these rules 99.9% of processed food is out. However you can eat whole foods and this is not a fat phobic plan!!! Hello steak and bacon!! Any questions let us know.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Here's a great breakdown from RobbWolf.com: http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/ (his whole blog is an awesome resource).If you sign up for his email list, I'm pretty sure Robb sends you some great tools like suggested shopping lists and stuff.

Practical Paleo is the book I recommend the most - it's easiest to understand, has great meal plans, I've yet to try a bad recipe and lots of pictures (hey, they help!). The author also has lots of information and printables at her blog: www.balancedbites.com

There are a few threads around here with lists of favorite websites and cookbooks that can be really handy when you're starting out.

Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask questions - everyone in this group was new and confused at one point, and it's a really friendly, supportive group of people.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    One more that I just found: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/transitioning-to-paleo/ - it's nice to know going in what to expect! Lots of solid resources on that site too!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I am a work in progress! Good luck to you!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I also recommend paleodietlifestyle.com! and here's my pinterest page for primal and paleo recipes and articles http://pinterest.com/bcreyes/primal-food/... welcome!
  • lilbrowngirl
    lilbrowngirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Check out everyday paleo for lots of great recipes. I have her cookbook and it's super helpful! Good Luck!
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. The last few weeks, in there, are pretty clean (and admittedly not very imaginative). The few months prior, were pretty loose and indulgent, albeit paleolithically so... almond butter is the devil.
  • disappearingme
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help, sorry for late reply,
    I didn't see them till now, your all so very helpful
    Thanks again
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Also, get a copy of the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, its what sold me and got me going on it... 13 lbs in 3 weeks baby!!! Gimme some more bacon!!!:laugh:
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Primal since July.

My favorite blogs:
    www.nomnompaleo.com
    www.theclothesmakethegirl.com
    www.paleomg.com
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    feel free to add me.been on and off primal/paleo for 1.5 years
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me to get over was that fat is not the enemy. It's been drummed into our heads for so long that it is soooo bad for people that it is hard to stop thinking of it that way.

We were eating boneless pork chops tonight at dinner (from a great local butcher) with some fat along the edge and my wife asked if we should cut off the fat. I said no and my daughter said "I love the fat parts!".

People say that eating primal/paleo is restricting because you don't eat refined carbs or sugar but I've found it liberating and quite enjoyable to be eating such real foods now. Things taste better and are quite filling.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to follow the paleo lifestyle? Not trying to be personal, but curious. I follow the lifestyle and feel great. Welcome to the group.
  • disappearingme
    Options
    Why do you need to follow the paleo lifestyle? Not trying to be personal, but curious. I follow the lifestyle and feel great. Welcome to the group.
    Hi my doctor advised me to try it for 6 months I have to cut out carbs. Thanks for the welcome :D
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    Hi my doctor advised me to try it for 6 months I have to cut out carbs. Thanks for the welcome :D

That doesn't seem like sound advice considering vegetables and fruits are carbs.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    All the above sites are great. I'd recommend your starting point is the book the paleo solution (also Robb wolf) its entertaining as well as informative and has an eating plan included- very useful
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. The last few weeks, in there, are pretty clean (and admittedly not very imaginative). The few months prior, were pretty loose and indulgent, albeit paleolithically so... almond butter is the devil.

Agreed on the almond butter. I have a hard time with it myself. And by hard time, I mean a hard time not just spooning it directly out of the jar and eating it by itself! To the OP, I just sent you a friend request. Feel free to take a look at what I have been eating!
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options

That doesn't seem like sound advice considering vegetables and fruits are carbs.

I wonder if the doctor was mainly talking about refined carbs and sugar (bread, pasta, grain, cake, cookies, etc). That is what a lot of people think of when the word carbs are mentioned.
  • disappearingme
    Options

I wonder if the doctor was mainly talking about refined carbs and sugar (bread, pasta, grain, cake, cookies, etc). That is what a lot of people think of when the word carbs are mentioned.
  • disappearingme
    Options

Yup she was talking about pasta, potatoes breads etc