Recently diagnosed hypo - success stories??

Options
ChrisC8181
ChrisC8181 Posts: 29 Member
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 1.5 weeks ago and just started generic Synthroid a week ago. My TSH was 9 and T4 low - don't remember the exact number. So I'm taking 50 mcg. I gained 30 lbs in about 6 months, and was extremely tired and cold all the time.
Since starting the medicine, me energy level has improved. I am very concerned about the weight issue, as I would like to lose about 40 lbs. I cannot attribute the weight gain completely to the thyroid issue - I was definitely slacking in the eating right and exercise categories. Now I'm back using MFP, 1550-1650 calories a day, and exercising 3-4 times a week. Does anyone have weight loss success stories that they can share? I did a general Google search, which actually scared me, because I found a number of threads on different forums about people gaining weight on Synthroid. So I just would like to hear everyone's experiences. Thanks!

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was hypothyroid due to anti-thyroid meds, as treatment for graves, and successfully lost 18 lbs. It's definitely possible, if your meds are right then you're "just like anyone else" and eating well and exercising should work.

People tend to gain weight on synthroid because it's not the greatest thyroid treatment, or at least not the best for most people.

TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid one, and isn't the greatest measure of thyroid function. You want to ensure that your doctor tests both your free T4 *and* your free T3. T4 is kind of like the "storage" thyroid hormone, and T3 is the "active" hormone - T3 is the one that makes your cells "go", and low levels is what makes you hypothyroid and symptomatic. T3 is created by converting T4 stores.

Synthroid is a T4-only med, and many hypothyroid patients have difficulty doing the T4->T3 conversion, which can result in low T3 levels. If your doctor is only testing TSH and free T4, this will not be picked up, and no amount of extra med increases will make your free T3 go up. As well, the synthetic T4 isn't bioidentical to your natural T4, so can be more difficult for your body to convert into T3.

Make sure your doctor tests the free T3 levels and not total - more than 99% of T3/T4 are bound to carrier proteins and considered biologically inactive; the "free" refers to the remaining bit that's free and available for your body to use.

If you DO have low free T3 levels you have two options to raise them:
    1. Add a synthetic T3 med like cytomel
    2. Switch to a natural dessicated thyroid med like Nature Thyroid and Armour, as they contain both T3 and T4; and the T4 is also bioidentical to your natural T4

If your doctor won't test free T3, I'd find a new doctor. Also, have they tested you for Hashimoto's antibodies to see if it's autoimmune in nature?
  • chelle3283
    chelle3283 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been on synthroid for about 6-7 months. i was hypothyroid before both my thyroid surgeries. while i was hypothyroid i did gain weight but over the last few months i actually lost 2 lbs without even knowing it. They just recently raised my dose to 200mg. ( ive had a dose change a few times). Once they get your levels stabilized it will be easier to lose weight. hang in there. any questions feel free to ask.:smile:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a success story. I feel a lot better now than I did a couple years ago. I still have weird issues from time to time, but overall, I am much healthier.

Obviously, the first step is to work with your doctor to get your hormones under control. After that, you just need to work out and eat nutritious foods, and it is entirely possible to see results.

We recently had a "maintain don't gain" program at work. We weighed in right before Thanksgiving, and then weighed back in after New Year's. The idea was that if you didn't gain weight over the holidays, you got a prize. I actually lost some, and while it didn't seem like much, it was more than anyone else in my department lost. I thought for sure that I would have a hard time with it since I am hypo, but it turns out that regular exercise and a little bit of discipline with the food was working just fine.
  • ChrisC8181
    ChrisC8181 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I have an appt. again with my doctor in April, and I will talk to her about checking the T3 levels as well as T4 and TSH. An interesting thing -- since starting the medicine, I've been sooo hungry! I guess it's because my metabolism has increased? I'm trying my best to stay within my calorie goal for the day.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Synthroid, I'm on Eutirox 50mg.
    I was diagnosed in august 2011, and I lost 99,2 lbs. My weightloss journey has just ended (I reached my goal weight yesterday), and you can do the maths and see that it took me a looong time to reach my goal. My thyroid is not well treated and since last february it's been really hard to lose weight. Strength training has helped increasing my metabolism (I think), and the fitter i got, the easiest it was to engage in more demanding physical activities to adapt the routines to my decreasing scale weight.

Once your levels are fine it shouldn't be so next to impossible to lose weight, it should be easier, closer to a normal person's weightloss capabilities.

Best of luck!!!
  • KCtoCapeCod
    Options
    I was diagnosed over 6 years ago and unfortunately didn't really educate myself on it.

I ended up putting on quite a bit of weight. We also moved several times (due to the military) so I was constantly having to restart the entire process. About 1.5 years ago I decided enough was enough. I educated myself, got into a new doctor, and my levels were an absolute mess. My TSH was in the 90's. I had to continually monitor myself and demand that to up my dose a little more. Eventually, after almost tripling my dosage, I finally started feeling normal.

I've lost over 44 pounds and went from a size 14 to a size 2/4. Of course I also started running hardcore, so that majorly contributed to my weight loss. I feel awesome though. I'm in the best shape of my life.

My advice is to get educated (don't scare yourself though) and advocate for yourself. You know yourself. You know your body.
    Don't give up because it gets better!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid for over 10 years. Personally, I didn't experience any weight gain when I went on it- I started out overweight and experienced weight gain over time in the years preceeding being diagnosed. After the synthroid, I leveled out for a while, and then dropped 20 lbs during a stressful couple of months. I started on MFP in January of 2011 and by June of 2012, had lost 45 lbs. I did it slowly over time - about 3 lbs per month loss - but I didn't push myself to lose quickly and don't know what the results would have been if I had. What I've learned:
    1. We're all different. Synthroid works for some, but not for everyone
    2. Everything takes time. If you approach your lifestyle changes as an effort to be healthy, to be the best you that you can be, it'll be easier when you hit those weeks when you don't lose weight. Or, you suddenly put on a pound or two.
    3. As others have said, education is the best practice. But, do it with the knowledge that we're all different - don't worry that other people's issues will necessarily be your issues. It's good to know what to look out for, but you may be lucky and easily treated. Only time will tell.
    4. Be patient in general. Some people see the effects of medication changes quickly. I personally don't see changes for at least a couple months.
    5. Be patient especially with yourself. Your levels can be stabilized but it may take time. You can lose weight but that will definitely take time. You'll have good days and bad days - some of those because of your thyroid. Remember that we're here for each other.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    VERY well put, lmelangley.
  • TheTrym
    TheTrym Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've had the diagnosis for 15-16 years, I was overweight when I got the diagnosis, but stopped gaining weight when I started on meds (levo). Have always been tired and easily exhausted, but then I've been undermedicated for all those years too. A year ago I saw an endo who pointed this out, and once I had the right dosage, I dropped 10 kg over a couple of months. Gotta work the rest off the old fashioned way. :P
  • RGlass85374
    Options
    TheTrym - what kind of doctor did you see that dialed in your meds? I need to see a doctor who specializes in Hypo to ensure I am getting the correct dosage. I have gained alot of weight and feel like my doctor started me out too low at 100 mg.
  • TheTrym
    TheTrym Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The dosage was corrected by an endocrinologist. Before that it had been monitored by various gp's.

It takes quite a while for the body to catch up when a dosage is adjusted (8 weeks I've been told), so it makes sense for docs to start out carefully lest to end up overmedicating people.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    TheTrym - what kind of doctor did you see that dialed in your meds? I need to see a doctor who specializes in Hypo to ensure I am getting the correct dosage. I have gained alot of weight and feel like my doctor started me out too low at 100 mg.

Please make sure your doctor is testing your free T3 and free T4, and not just your TSH (TSH isn't a thyroid hormone, it's a pituitary one).

If you still feel crappy on the 100 mcg of T4 med, then your free T3 level might be too low. Talk to your doctor about possibly adding a synthetic T3 like cytomel.