Putting a plan in place

Options
I'm still contemplating what method to take to maintain, so I'm not sure what would be best. I could do with some re-assurance I am on the right track. :cry: :frown:

I was thinking that I would increase up to and eat the base number of calories that MFP suggests (around 1,700 to maintain my weight) and then eat back any additional exercise calories gained over the course of a week. Changing consumption and mixing things up as necessary and as I learn how my body reacts.

At least then I don't have to force myself to eat if I am not hungry and I could eat back more one day than another. Say, if I go out for a meal for my birthday which is coming up and if I happen not to be able to exercise for some reason (e.g. being ill - cutting off half my thumb like I've just done!) I don't have to be concerned; I can just go back to my base line of 1,700 until I can get back to my routine.

Many have suggested that it is easier and more relaxing to space out the calories over a week and others have said to do it daily.

I still have to work out what would be best for me, especially since I can't guarantee that through switching exercises / fitness improvements I'll burn the same amount every time I exercise, which is also why I was thinking about using the MFP base and eating back calories over the week from there - as noted by my HRM. As opposed to simply including them in advance into my diet.

This is so confusing! What do you think?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You have this quote in your bio, "As a warning, I over think things and I worry a lot." Well, don't! :smile:

At the beginning of maintenance it's hard to find the right balance, but you will eventually get a daily calorie allowance that works for you. Try to stick to that and then use your exercise calories for treats and extras, it's what I do and it works for me. I also work more on a weekly basis than a daily one, so if I know I'm going out for a meal or meeting friends for a drink I save some exercise calories and 'spend' them on my treat.

Don't worry, you will get there. Maintenance isn't easy, but it's worth it and enjoyable!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is work on eating a healthy amount of calories, so yes, working up to 1700 is a great start. And yes, as long as you are there or there abouts on your weekly net, you should be fine if you have a high or low day.

One thing I would suggest is having a maintenance range of 4-5 lbs and not a single number. This will then stop you freaking out if you go up a pound or 2 through normal fluctuations.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is work on eating a healthy amount of calories, so yes, working up to 1700 is a great start. And yes, as long as you are there or there abouts on your weekly net, you should be fine if you have a high or low day.

One thing I would suggest is having a maintenance range of 4-5 lbs and not a single number. This will then stop you freaking out if you go up a pound or 2 through normal fluctuations.

I think I've settled on a 4-5 lb fluctuation, either way as a maintenance range to help me along the way.

I'm going to reduce my exercise down this week and start to increase my calories up fortnightly by about 200 or so until I find the right 'core/base' calorie intake for me.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    You have this quote in your bio, "As a warning, I over think things and I worry a lot." Well, don't! :smile:

I love this. :tongue:

At the beginning of maintenance it's hard to find the right balance, but you will eventually get a daily calorie allowance that works for you. Try to stick to that and then use your exercise calories for treats and extras, it's what I do and it works for me. I also work more on a weekly basis than a daily one, so if I know I'm going out for a meal or meeting friends for a drink I save some exercise calories and 'spend' them on my treat.

This is exactly what I want to do. It seems like we have the same idea, which is reassuring!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I think I've settled on a 4-5 lb fluctuation, either way as a maintenance range to help me along the way.

I'm going to reduce my exercise down this week and start to increase my calories up fortnightly by about 200 or so until I find the right 'core/base' calorie intake for me.

Sounds like a plan, you'll be fine!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    See what works for you, in terms of both energy and 'feeling full'.

Generally I find that after a hard work out (+1000 Cal) its the next day that I get hungry.. So I generally spread out my exercise cals over 2 days starting on the day I do the exercise. Anything less than 1000 I tend to eat same. Most days are +/- 300 cals and balance over a week.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    All good advice here :)

I would slowly increase your calories to maintenance mode....try it in stages for a few weeks and if you feel good and are still maintaining then you're on the right path. Don't freak out if you gain a pound or lose a couple when trying to figure out maintenance mode.

Maybe try focusing on doing different fun exercises instead of doing the same old things. You know what you can do to lose weight...now's the time to challenge yourself and have fun with your life :)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    All good advice here :)

I would slowly increase your calories to maintenance mode....try it in stages for a few weeks and if you feel good and are still maintaining then you're on the right path. Don't freak out if you gain a pound or lose a couple when trying to figure out maintenance mode.

This sounds like great advice to follow. Thank you.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    Options
    See what works for you, in terms of both energy and 'feeling full'.

Generally I find that after a hard work out (+1000 Cal) its the next day that I get hungry.

Me too! Which is what I was hoping balancing exercise calories over a week would help with.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I slowly added food in, making sure it was quality (no pizza and beer). More protean and good carbs. After a while I found food intake and activity level found and equilibrium and I went to a pure TEED method where I eat a fairly consistent cal level and don;t log exersise.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I first started maintenance mode I calculated calories and exercise weekly. This worked well as long as my exercise routine was uninterrupted. I found that in weeks when my schedule was interrupted my calorie count exceeded the recommended level. If on the following week normal exercise resumed then I was reluctant to consume fewer calories to compensate for the previous week. I have now returned to daily calorie counting and adjust my calories on the day. I find that for me this works much better.