I'm 48 with several signs but still have periods

Options
2»

Replies

• s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is driving me nuts!! I really stay on my plan and not dropping weight, then get bumbed and eat. The cycle drives me crazy!! Need to be more consistant with my exercise.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this group and glad I found it. I will turn 50 in 2 weeks. I have had 3 periods in the past year but appear to be past the hot flashes and night sweats. My main problem is my weight at this moment. I have always been active and have had a normal weight. The past year I gained about 13 lbs without doing anything different. I decided 2 weeks ago to join mfp and have increased my walking slightly and have been keeping track of my food intake. I do eat the extra calories allowed from my walking. I have lost nothing so far. I have no idea what else today because I do not believe in starving myself. I have been thinking about maybe start running. Anyone else have had this experience?

Yes, yes, yes! Only my weight has steadily increased. I lost a little last summer but it's all back & then some! I can't seem to stop eating & I can tell I've really slacked on my workouts b/c I just can't do what I did 2 years ago. It sucks! But I have confidence that one day WE WILL CONQUER this beast! Rawrrr!!!

ETA - I forgot to mention not to be upset that you haven't lost anything yet. Give it time & stick with it. It takes a little longer than 2 weeks; especially since we're in that time of our lives! :grumble:
  • heiditracker
    heiditracker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say, YES! I have been in the same boat since 2005. I will go 6 months with no cycle and the hot flashes when I'm not cycling and I went 8 months last year and thought I might finally be done but, no. And this latest stint has been the worst. I'm desperate for something to get rid of the hot flashes and it seems I'm running out of options. In the firat few years it seemed the Black Cohosh worked but not anymore. I actually went on low estrogen treatment but it gave me headaches and I am deathly afraid of having a stroke so I went off. I just scoured the internet recently and I read that drinking apple cider vinegar would help almost immediately but I've been drinking it for two days and I'm flashing as I type. I also read that Boron would help by balancing out your hormones and I couldn't find it in any of the stores so I just ordered it from Vitacost yesterday. I'm really anxious to try it. I have a friend I talked to a while back and she told me hers lasted 13 years! I really hope not.
  • toverfee39
    toverfee39 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't posted for about a week I think. I weight in on Monday and actually gained some weight. So frustrating! Obviously counting calories, and adding on the calories I gained from exercise does not work for me. There is no way I can live on 1200 calories a day so I feel stuck. The past few days I haven't even counted anything and eaten whatever I felt like which is bad because it includes cookies with my coffee. Walking might not be the healthiest as it will only get to - 24 (wind chill included) today and it looks like this weather will last for a few days at least a week. So I need to think about options. A friend of mine suggested eating carbs for breakfast and cutting them out for the rest of the day. Anyone out there done this? Alvalaurie, you mentioned that it will take longer then 2 weeks before noticing any weight loss, is this what happened to you and how long did it take for you to start noticing anything.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    @toverfee, I know it's not popular here, but the primary way I can lose weight (these days) is by going "slow carb". In other words: no sugar, no white rice, no white bread, and very few processed carbs (and no wine). And lots of cardio. Otherwise, I pretty much maintain or gain lol.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is.
  • sebuck
    sebuck Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm going through the very same thing. At 51, I'm through the worst of the peri-menopause symptoms: I'm sleeping through night again, no more hot flashes, mood swings, etc., but I now find it impossible to lose weight. I'm physically active (walking three to five times a week, spin classes two or three times a week, yoga once or twice a week), and have always had a healthy diet, stayed at my ideal weight for ten years after having children. And then, steadily over the last two years, I've put on 20 lbs. I did the new Weight Watchers program for 8 months and gained and lost the same two pounds over and over again. I've been using MFP religiously (I like it a lot more the WW), but I cannot lose weight. My doctor says its menopause. Can anyone offer advice on how they lost weight after menopause? Someone mentioned increased breast size, I've gone from an A to a C+ (luckily, no tenderness).
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    For me (retrospectively, I'm post meno) there was about a year of perimenopause - intense hot flashes, night sweats and breast pain. My cycle had sped up over the years, going from 28 day cycles to 23 days but aside from that gradual change they stayed crampy and obnoxious and the same duration of bleeding.

The last cycle was normal in July of the year I was 42. They just stopped cold dead. That was over 3 years ago. The doc ran the hormone tests to ensure it was really menopause. It is. Three plus years later the hot flashes are far fewer and far less intense. Same with night sweats. The rampant stupidity that everyone around me displayed to piss me off also died off. :laugh: My brain and memory has not come back online. At this point it looks like stupid will be my new normal.