Who else just started the program this week?

Options
bec30
bec30 Posts: 17 Member
Hello! I just started on Monday, and boy are my glutes sore today! Just wondering if anyone else started this week.... I've been on MFP for quite a while now but not been a part of the community, so I'm looking for support from friends here :)

Replies

• hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just started today! Feel free to add me if you want :) My goal is to do the lifting Tuesday, Thursday and either Saturday or Sunday depending on my weekend schedule. I do love feeling a bit sore after a workout so I am looking forward to this - let's me know I'm working hard ;) Let's do this!
  • vt2200a
    vt2200a Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started last Thursday and love it! Except I might have done the deadlifts incorrectly on Sunday and have been suffering the consequences since then. Oh well. Hopefully by the end of the day today I feel well enough to complete 3A. (I've numbered my sessions 1-16 and then just mark them A or B, it helps me keep track of where I am.

Feel free to add me!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This is week 2 for me. After my first workout my legs hurt for 2 days!!!!
    Add me if you would like.
  • bec30
    Options
    vt2200a, that is a good idea to number the workouts like that, it seemed a little confusing at first ;)
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    message me your emails..... I have great spreadsheets and guides I can send you.
  • bec30
    Options
    Also, I am working out with the ball at home and at our tiny apartment gym room for everything else. Unfortunately we do not have any barbells at the gym, (and I have zero extra space in our apt.) but I have found some good alternatives on here for just using dumbbells. So, what weights are y'all (yes, I'm from Georgia :) ) starting out with?

This is where I'm at:
    1A
    Goblet Squats (modification from squat with barbell) holding a 15 DB
    Push ups off the wall- ahhh I am so weak!
    seated row using 50 lb. on cable machine
    step-ups on a bench holding 2 10 lb DBs
    and the prone jack knife was a joke... but I managed after falling off the ball a few times ;)
  • oameyers
    oameyers Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies I just started yesterday. I can really fell it in my back but nothing else. I think my squats and step ups need lots of work. My form is weird or at least it feels weird when I squat. I used 20lbs dumbbells for both moves but I think I may need a bar to help spread the weight. Any thoughts??
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I just started last week too! I've only done 2 workouts so far since this cold/flu season is kicking my butt straight to bed. But i'm looking forward to really getting started.

This may make me a weirdo, but I love doing deadlifts. So good :)

Here is where I'm starting (for 15 reps):
    Squats: 65 lbs
    Deadlift: 115 lbs
    OHP: 15-20 lb dumbbells
    Lunges: 40 lb. barbell
    Step-ups: 30 lb. barbell
    Row: 27.5 lbs (per arm)
    Lat pull down: 30 lbs (per arm)
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I am starting on Monday when my new gym opens. Patiently waiting for my book to arrive.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is week 2 for me! Definitely feeling sore, but stronger already! Push-ups are getting easier every day :)
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is week 2 for me! Definitely feeling sore, but stronger already! Push-ups are getting easier every day :)

Also feel free to add me!
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started on Monday. I'm very happy about it. I admit I'm not used to doing so many reps, but I do like it. (I had done Starting Strength for a few months last year. 2x15 is much different than 3x5!)

I have a series of worksheets with my workouts printed and bound into a folder. It's all very exciting and I look forward to how I'll be able to do as I keep doing it.
  • bec30
    Options
    Hello Ladies I just started yesterday. I can really fell it in my back but nothing else. I think my squats and step ups need lots of work. My form is weird or at least it feels weird when I squat. I used 20lbs dumbbells for both moves but I think I may need a bar to help spread the weight. Any thoughts??

(Having just started myself, I don't have any expert advice ;) ), I'm having to modify some of the moves because I do not have access to bar bells, only dumbbells. Look up the goblet squat, and try that for your squats. For me, even doing these modifications, I'm still getting a great workout, and at this point I'm just taking it a day at a time! I also had to do the dead lifts with DBs. Being my first week, I did not overdo the weights, but I could feel it! Also, I was stepping up quite high (for me) on the step-ups, stepping onto a low bench. It was tough!
  • bec30
    Options

It will be cause for celebration when I can do a real push-up! My upper body is so weak :P Hopefully with tomorrow's workout I can try them at a lower angle :)
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Did my second workout today. I might redo the first two workouts because I definitely need to increase my weights. Its been a while since I lifted and I just wanted to get a feel for some of the exercises. I don't have a bar to use so I do everything with dumbbells. I also don't have the lat pull down or anything to use for the rows so I do dumbbell modification exercises.

Goblet Squats - 20lb dumbbell
    Deadlift - 2 10lb DB
    OHP - 2 10lb DB
    Lunges - 2 10lb DB
    Step Ups - 2 15lb DB
    Rows (done with DB on bench, single arm) - 15 lb DB
    Overhead Lat pull down modification - 2 10lb DB
    (everything done with reps suggested in book)

I was very sore the day after workout 1A but am feeling better after the second workout today! I am excited to increase my weights and really lift heavy like it looks like many of you are!!
  • bec30
    Options
    Did my second workout today. I might redo the first two workouts because I definitely need to increase my weights. Its been a while since I lifted and I just wanted to get a feel for some of the exercises. I don't have a bar to use so I do everything with dumbbells. I also don't have the lat pull down or anything to use for the rows so I do dumbbell modification exercises.

Goblet Squats - 20lb dumbbell
    Deadlift - 2 10lb DB
    OHP - 2 10lb DB
    Lunges - 2 10lb DB
    Step Ups - 2 15lb DB
    Rows (done with DB on bench, single arm) - 15 lb DB
    Overhead Lat pull down modification - 2 10lb DB
    (everything done with reps suggested in book)

I was very sore the day after workout 1A but am feeling better after the second workout today! I am excited to increase my weights and really lift heavy like it looks like many of you are!!

GREAT job hark15! I've never really used free weights so its been a learning experience for me as well, knowing how much weight to start off with. Plus, I am so happy to have a buddy on here that can relate with using DBs only for the modifications :)

to update from workout B for me:

Deadlift- 1st set 2 10 lb. DB, 2nd set used 2 15 lb.
    OHP- 2 10 lb DB
    Lunges- 2 10 lb. DB
    Lat Pull Down- 40 lb. ( I am on a cable machine with this one)

Also, I see we have the same goal weight... 140 How focused are you on this now with the weight training? I've been weight "obsessed" before and its really difficult for me to get out of that numbers mindset. My personal challenge is to focus on eating healthy (incorporating a lot more protein!) and do the workouts, AND try NOT to focus on the number on the scale. BTW, I am still rather sore from yesterday. :)
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Started last week and already I love it! Doing 2-3 sessions a week at home (other days are cardio/HIIT), I have a bench, dumbells, barbell, weights and a ball, which has worked fine so far. Although I think I will need more weights soon as they are getting light and I only have 40KG.

Am happy to have more NROLFW friends!
  • MzDfy
    MzDfy Posts: 14
    Options
    I am getting the book today, but I have been weight training for five weeks now, so I will start the first week as soon as I read the book. I'm curious to see how my workouts will change after I read through this.
  • slammy1079
    Options
    I'm just picking this up again after being sidelined last year by a shoulder injury. Note to self: no more trying to clean and press a bar that's too heavy over your shoulders! I've been doing a mish-mosh of other strength stuff in the meantime, so I'm not totally starting from scratch.

My goal is to do it 2, maybe 3 times a week, depending on my schedule. I generally play roller derby on T/Th/Sun and sometimes take a strength/agility class on Mondays, and as the weather gets better I'll probably start running more too.

I have the book on Kindle but am picking up a paper copy tomorrow so I can refer to the diagrams/workouts more easily!
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started monday. Today was workout number 2. I knew it was going to be hard, but WHEW!!! I'm loving it though. I feel empowered already. Its a nice feeling.