Zone of Misery

Options
Tanja_CHH
Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
Today I woke up after a horrible nights sleep with the worst stomach cramps and headache. Ive not been feeling too great the last couple of days after having 1-2 days after my carb flu where I felt okay. I couldnt stomach the thought of egg and sausage or anything fatty and gave in and had the most boring breakfast consistent of Oats and Milk. I feel much better now with my headache gone, fogginess gone and stomach cramps gone.
However I was wondering why I cant seem to get the wonderful benefits out of being paleo after having done it for 21 days despite not feeling great. I havnt cheated once, I havnt subsisted any funny stuff or had honey or artificial sugars besides a little dark chcoolate which was a while back. Am I just a unique snowflake or am I in some zone of misery? Ive heard this can happen from too much protein, low-moderate carbs and moderate fat? I try and get my fat up, but eating fatty makes me feel slightly nausaus, which might be from where I had my gallbladder out and my protein is just always high as I eat a lot of meat, carbs went over yesterday despite only eating vegetables till I had a banana due to feeling headachy and tired at 19 and having important work to finish.
Im really close to just listening to my body and adding in some oats in the morning, maybe it was all a bit much on my body giving it all up? However obviously I dont think my body needs proccessed foods and wheat to function, however it does seem to need more than meat, vegetables and fruit.

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You had your gallbladder out, so that's a factor. I also see that you eat peppers almost every day, and most of your protein is chicken. I recall hearing that people without gallbladders should stay away from chicken but I don't remember why.

Hopefully tomorrow someone who has more experience than I will have better answers, but for now that is what jumped out at me. Never fear, I know there are answers coming your way!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Without your gallbladder, you're probably not going to want to eat really heavy on the fat. Your body just isn't going to process it the same. I had mine out about 15 years ago, and really high fat isn't comfortable. Digestive enzymes help quite a bit. You can still do Paleo, but try having somewhat leaner cuts of meat and if low carb isn't working you might want to add in sweet potatoes or squash to see if that helps.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    here is an article on paleo/primal and gallbladder removal
    http://paleoparents.com/featured/how-to-enjoy-bacon-without-a-gallbladder/
    Also,the other day,someone else started a topic about prima/paleo and gallbladder removal.
    If you search around you might get some more help.I would think speaking to your dr or another professional might help.
    If you are feeling better with oats this is how you might need to go.Try for wheat free oats..you need to listen to what your body tells you..that doesn't mean you have to eat wheat.Do what works for you.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I remember Robb Wolf doing a breakdown or two about paleo without a gallbladder. Pop "Robb Wolf gallbladder" in your search engine of choice. Maybe even go to his forums.

Someone mentioned peppers. I cannot eat peppers (or other nightshades) without some gnarly backlash. But I never would've known that if I hadn't tried going without them a la the immune protocol he talks about. So every time I see one of you cavefolk here eating peppers and spicy things, I wave my fist at you in jealousy!

There will be points that you're going to have to re-evaluate and tweak as you go along, since we're all dynamic little systems.

Keep at it!
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The oats didnt help, if anything Ive just felt miserable and hungry today, so am not trying that again, though it did initially help with stomach cramps, but they came back. I guess my body might just take some more time to get used to eating paleo and Ill see if I can cut out nightshades, I just love tomatoes in food and peppers are super easy food to bring school, but if thats what making my stomach ache then ill happily give them up :) Thanks for all the answers
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've found that without a gallbladder, I have to stay a little higher carb than most paleo eaters. My digestion is a lot better, and so is the rest of me if I eat a sweet potato or other starchier vegetables.

I'm going nightshade free for a while at the end of this Whole30, and I'm with you - I love tomatoes and peppers, and I think that might be harder for me than giving up just about anything else!

Edited to add: find what works for you! I think the brilliant thing about eating this way is that it encourages us to experiment and find our own individualized paleo framework.