Jimmy Moore's n=1 Experiment

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
This was a great read - I went all the way back and read the beginnings of it, too.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-n1-experiments-nutritional-ketosis-day-151-180/16584

Also, I hopped back on the LC wagon after a week or so of crab loading and then 5 weeks of not working out because of a pulled muscle and physical therapy... The scale has went UP everyday since Saturday. Weird. I may cut back on protein a little.

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    This was a great read - I went all the way back and read the beginnings of it, too.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-n1-experiments-nutritional-ketosis-day-151-180/16584

Also, I hopped back on the LC wagon after a week or so of crab loading and then 5 weeks of not working out because of a pulled muscle and physical therapy... The scale has went UP everyday since Saturday. Weird. I may cut back on protein a little.

Shrimp loading is the way to go, crabs are bad news ;)
  • mstorvik
    Options
    HAHA on my typo. Love it. I was wondering if anyone tests their blood ketones? I was thinking that the second week in January (when I am back from a vacation), that I might start doing a little experiment. I'm on the fence about it.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    HAHA on my typo. Love it. I was wondering if anyone tests their blood ketones? I was thinking that the second week in January (when I am back from a vacation), that I might start doing a little experiment. I'm on the fence about it.

Another low-carber, praxisproject recently got one ... a "Abbott Freestyle Optium", might be worth checking out with them how they are getting on :)

I still wouldn't mind getting a combined ketone/glucose monitor just for education's sake, if the strips were dirt cheap it would a no-brainer really.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's the one I got here in Australia. It looks very similar to the Precision Xtra and is also made by Abbott. For Aussies and Kiwis, the Ketone strips seem to be much cheaper here, I bought mine special order from my local Amcal chemist.

If you've never done a Ketone blood test before, it needs more blood than a glucose one, I wasted a few strips by not using enough blood, I think I have the hang of it now.

Why are people trying this?
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (Jeff S. Volek & Stephen D. Phinney)
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone tests their blood ketones? I was thinking that the second week in January (when I am back from a vacation), that I might start doing a little experiment. I'm on the fence about it.

Those test strips are rather costly aren't they?
    I can tell that I have excess ketones by the taste in my mouth, the smell of my clothes after a workout and by how frequently my wife asks me to go brush my teeth again please.

If I'm going an experiment where I'm using myself as a lab rat to test the effects of a food on serum glucose and ketone levels then yes I want to be able to accurately quantify the effects with numbers. If I'm just worried about how I feel and are some "hidden" carbs sneaking into my diet then how I feel, the afore mentioned indicators, and a urine test strip should be more than enough feedback I think.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've never once tested myself. I just low carb and love it. That site it's fantastically detailed. I subscribed. His progress is fantastic.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Blood Ketone measuring is for Nutritional Ketosis, not just ketosis (which you can use Ketostix for).
  • debk3p2
    debk3p2 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Praxis Project:

What is the difference between nutritional ketosis and regular ketosis? Has Jimmy Moore revealed his menu yet? I'm not sure I could stand that much fat with that little proteins and carbs (taste wise).

thanks
    Debbie
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Jimmy said he's not going to reveal his menu because it's just fat... mainly fat. I think I am wanting to test my blood ketones to know when I am in *nutritional* ketosis. Not just ketosis. I also am a Math teacher and I am a HUGE stickler for numbers. I'm really considering this... I know the strips are expensive... so I may do it once a week or something. Ugh. wish the strips were cheaper...

Just bought the art and science of low carb performance and I am digging right in!
  • FLUFFYMCFLUFFERSON
    Options
    I get my strips from Walmart for 6 bucks 50 count
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Fluffy - those are ketone sticks. We're talking about measuring blood ketones. They're like $2 a strip.

I didn't end up doing it... but I will if i eventually stall. I wish things were cheaper here. Jealous of Australia!

PS: I had a big LC question that has never been answered and I emailed Jimmy Moore about it and he Emailed back! Is it wrong that I was totally giddy? Haha!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Fluffy - those are ketone sticks. We're talking about measuring blood ketones. They're like $2 a strip.

I didn't end up doing it... but I will if i eventually stall. I wish things were cheaper here. Jealous of Australia!

PS: I had a big LC question that has never been answered and I emailed Jimmy Moore about it and he Emailed back! Is it wrong that I was totally giddy? Haha!

He'll talk to ANYONE these days ;) <Insert whatever smilie means I am only kidding with you>
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Already bought my blood ketone reader and strips! Let the testing begin!
  • rws262
    rws262 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What brand and how much were the strips? and where did you get it?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Praxis Project:

What is the difference between nutritional ketosis and regular ketosis? Has Jimmy Moore revealed his menu yet? I'm not sure I could stand that much fat with that little proteins and carbs (taste wise).

thanks
    Debbie

I sometimes get my diet as high as 80% fat. Trust me, it's absolutely DELICIOUS. Also, the higher my fat, the better I feel and the more weight that I lose. Strange, I know.
  • rws262
    Options
    For anyone looking to try monitoring blood ketones:

I just picked up a NovaMax test kit that includes the lance and the meter and 10 strips for ~$26 at American Diabetes Wholesale. The kit included the free meter.
    Just a box of 10 strips is $24 before shipping.

http://search.americandiabeteswholesale.com/search?keywords=blood ketone
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Precision xtra on amazon, strips from a Canadian pharmacy (jimmy has a link I think)! I am patiently waiting...
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Praxis Project:

thanks
    Debbie

I sometimes get my diet as high as 80% fat. Trust me, it's absolutely DELICIOUS. Also, the higher my fat, the better I feel and the more weight that I lose. Strange, I know.

Not strange to me!! Way to go!
  • mstorvik
    Options

I just picked up a NovaMax test kit that includes the lance and the meter and 10 strips for ~$26 at American Diabetes Wholesale. The kit included the free meter.

Are those blood strips or glucose ones? Mine came with glucose ones...
  • rws262
    Options

Are those blood strips or glucose ones? Mine came with glucose ones...

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/product/nova-max-plus-ketone-test-strips_3398.htm?source=SiteSearch

They are advertised as blood Ketone test strips.