Weight Loss through Bikram

Options
shano25
shano25 Posts: 233 Member
Has anyone had success losing weight with Bikram, or know any success stories of doing so? I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I do have belly fat leftover my last pregnancy that I would like to get rid of. I'm wondering if Bikram classes will do the same for losing that weight as other cardio workouts. I've increased to 4-5 classes a week recently.

Replies

• StizzyP
    StizzyP Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I see this is an old post, but I'm new to this group, so it's new to me! I had significant fat loss doing Bikram anywhere from 3-5 times a week for a few months last year. Started in June and by December I was down almost 30 pounds. I don't know if all of that was Bikram, but I have no doubt it played a role.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Nope not for me at least. I still have to diet and hit the gym I practice more for my head than anything.
  • Nina103
    Nina103 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in 8 weeks when I increased my hot yoga to 4 times per week. :smile:
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    I think Birkam personally helped me and it is a nice addition to my other workouts. It has really toned my legs for sure! It is definitely a nice way to put life on hold for 1 1/2 and just focus on me, my postures and that's it!!!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Bikram plays a role for me in that I know exactly where my body is at when I get into some of those poses. It motivates me to eat very clean.
  • scardone
    scardone Posts: 40
    Options
    As the poster above mentioned, i'm definitely seeing more tone in my body, especially my back, abs, arms and legs. I also pretty much have to eat healthy because if not, I'm very nauseaus in class. I think if you are eating healthy and taking Bikram 3-5 days a week you will see a difference.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If I do Bikram once or twice a week I usually lose around a pound that week. If I don't do Bikram (and do some other kind of exercise instead) I only lose about 0-0.4 pounds. So yeah, it definitely works for me,
  • watchtheworld
    Options
    I've been doing bikram daily (and no other exercise beyond walking every couple of days if I've gone over calories) and I've definitely lost fat.
  • naseron
    naseron Posts: 5
    Options
    I used to do it last year for a couple of months and noticed when I quit the weight came back on.
    I have since rejoined and go 5 times a week. It definately is motivational in staying healthy and feeling healthy.
    The best part is you do see the inches come off and more definition throughout your body.
    I recommend going at least 3 times a week if you want to see some serious results.
  • shawashanah
    Options
    No but it has helped me with my breathing meaning I can run long distances and breathe without having to stop. It also has helped me tolerate humidity. I hate the summer but on those 100+ degrees days, I am good.
  • Luvnapo
    Luvnapo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I'm going back into Bikram Yoga after a two and half year hiatus. I'm trying to organize this time into a busy work schedule.
    Bikram Yoga class starts at 6 pm and ends at 7:30. I get home by 8:15 at night. Should I eat dinner after the practice? What kinds of foods should I be eating in the evening or should I juice to keep from being nauseated?
  • mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    so far i have been doing it for about 5 months about 3 days a week and not even one pound of loss. the only other exercise ive been doing is walking and of course watching what i eat. i suppose i was taken by the claims, that it would burn fat and increase muscle. i have gotten stronger though but not visible muscle changes. i am going to start incorporating other workouts, as this is unfortunately not working for me.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    so far i have been doing it for about 5 months about 3 days a week and not even one pound of loss. the only other exercise ive been doing is walking and of course watching what i eat. i suppose i was taken by the claims, that it would burn fat and increase muscle. i have gotten stronger though but not visible muscle changes. i am going to start incorporating other workouts, as this is unfortunately not working for me.

I've been doing it for 9 years, but my experience is the same. The most i've lost is 15lbs doing just Bikram yoga-- I didn't lose any more until I I started monitoring what I was putting in my mouth. For some people (me included) weight-loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I still do Bikram about 2-4 times per week, but alternate with an intense kettlebell workout (2-4 times per week).

I've continued doing the bikram for other benefits (blood pressure, cardio and arthritis).
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    I'm relatively new to Bikram but I definitely notice a change in how my body looks and feels - everything is much tighter and my energy levels are higher. If you're having trouble losing your lower tummy you'll definitely notice a change! I can't say I've noticed a scale change from it yet but definitely a body composition change.
  • mollylaremeter
    Options

I've been doing it for 9 years, but my experience is the same. The most i've lost is 15lbs doing just Bikram yoga-- I didn't lose any more until I I started monitoring what I was putting in my mouth. For some people (me included) weight-loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I still do Bikram about 2-4 times per week, but alternate with an intense kettlebell workout (2-4 times per week).

I've continued doing the bikram for other benefits (blood pressure, cardio and arthritis).

interesting. I am coming to that conclusion too.
  • mollylaremeter
    Options
    i recommend using a heart rate monitor to see what you're really doing.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So I originally posted this when I increased my practice to 4-5 times a week and held steady at that for 6 months. I noticed no weight loss at all. Of course, no weight gain either. I did stop for a while and there was no weight gain after that either. Flexibility and energy, yes. Weight loss, no.

Of course, I did notice an improvement in my knees and the banishment of anxiety and panic attacks, so I'm still a Bikram devotee for life!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I think weight loss would be slowly and I am watching calories. Mind sharing what you calorie intake is based on stats..I am going to start bikram yoga hopefully this month...

I am 5'1" and fluctuating between 107-108 and 1200 and fasting some days, some progress but nothing drastic yet for me.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump