fell off the diet

Options
maml317
maml317 Posts: 5 Member
I have been doing well even though I am a few weeks into the program. Tonight I felt the stress of life and decided to bake bread. This was the first time I had bread since I started and it was the best. I over ate those carbs and enjoyed it with butter too. So, I guess tomorrow I will have to work out 2 times to get off these extra calories.

What does everyone do to distract themselves when yopu really want to eat bad to help with stress?

Replies

• larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    What are some of the things I do when stress seems to be driving me toward eating more?

- Look at my daily log and ask if I can eat some more and stay under my daily target. If yes then how much and I will eat but not more than allowed. For example, the other day I had a particularly stressful day at work (we are having to lay people off and/or cut their salaries a lot) and I was feeling a need to relieve this stress so I looked at my log and I had about 80 calories remaining so I had 2 wonderful hershey kisses (20 calories each) and a diet soda. I ate those hershey kisses just like I was at a fancy restraunt that was serving some exotic dessert. It was great.

- Read MFP Community Success Stories. This keeps me motivated.

- Workout even if it is just a walk on the treadmill down in our basement or a walk around the block if it is nice out.

Hope this helps.
  • maml317
    maml317 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support and those are great ideas. I hope things get better for you at your job. I hope you have a bag of those kisses and a case of the diet soda as it sounds like you may be in for several stressful days. It sounds like you have retrained yourself for those stressful moments. I will keep working on it and let you know how it goes:)
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know I won't be perfect, so i plan a few healthier versions of what i know I'll eventually cave and eat. Like I made some low carb banana bread, bought some dark chocolates, and I buy gluten-free bread and have on piece if I really need it.

If I'm stressed, I watch a movie. This seems to help better than anything ...or read a murder mystery!
  • Fhoover
    Fhoover Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had a horible day today.. Ate lots of chinese food then came home and ate chips, cookies, and milk :( Tomorrow is a new day :) I need to get back on the plan!!
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Just write it off to experience and pick up where you left off. Nobody's perfect.
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options

- Look at my daily log and ask if I can eat some more and stay under my daily target. If yes then how much and I will eat but not more than allowed. For example, the other day I had a particularly stressful day at work (we are having to lay people off and/or cut their salaries a lot) and I was feeling a need to relieve this stress so I looked at my log and I had about 80 calories remaining so I had 2 wonderful hershey kisses (20 calories each) and a diet soda. I ate those hershey kisses just like I was at a fancy restraunt that was serving some exotic dessert. It was great.

I do this too. I look and see if I've got any calories left and what treat can I have. Or a low calorie hot chocolate drink. Only 40 cals and it makes me feel like I've treated myself.

Sometimes though the only way to deal with it is to do something completely unrelated to food. Watching a movie wouldn't work for me as I'd want a snack with it. But maybe a walk outside. Or something mundane like doing the ironing. x
  • lauries3
    lauries3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have completely fell off of working out. And what is worse I hate myself for it but yet I can't find the motivation to start working out again. Why? However, today is a new day and I did go walking yesterday. I love INSANITY because it helped me to keep mine. So today will be a restart. I wish the weather will get warm again because as it does I begin to feel better and get out of this funky depression.
  • MadMaz359
    Options
    Hi
    I'm new today and when I get stressed I listen to Glenn Harrold relaxation this solves the stress, but the eating part I try to keep busy.. I have been doing Jenny Craig for a year and at my halfway goal and I know that if I eat bread that this is bad for me and I visualise that as soon as I take a bite my body converts it to sugar, but there are times that I say what the hell..
  • MadMaz359
    Options
    Hi,

I just joined today and read your post apart getting back into exercise, I'm at the same place, I have been doing Jenny Craig now for 12 months and at my halfway goal and when my husband was doing it, we motivated each other now that he is at his place, I'm now alone and I am finding it tough to get into like before, I know how to, it's the getting to it that is causing the problem..

I like Zumba and love the Zumba Abs as this really works and I can see results which is great for me..

I live in Perth Australia and it's hot and that puts me off of walking outside.

If you would like to friend me we could motivate each other..

Marion
  • NanahcubJess
    NanahcubJess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First off, don't be too hard on yourself, it happens to all of us :)

This may not work for everyone, but if I'm feeling like face diving into ice cream or something fried, which I often do, I'll go to youtube. I look up videos of people who have made amazing transitions into healthy bodies and I'll do this for about ten minutes. By the time I've seen a few people who have lost a bunch of weight by eating healthy, I realize that eating those things won't help me toward my goal and I'll regret it later. If I still feel the urge and I absolutely cannot resist eating something that I don't need, I'll find a substitue. Frozen yogurt is often my crutch instead of ice cream, and do I love bread. I could probably eat a whole loaf on my own, just keep moderation in mind. You can do it, you're strong :)