Podcast and App Reviews

Options

Replies

• Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Saving for later as I've just started playing with the idea of getting back into running. Also, just got myself a new Android phone and it's pretty amazing what the little thing can do )
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I used the Christian Indie Tracks from: http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/
    The music helps me to relax while motivating me to keep running.

I tried another one (Podrunner?), but it set my teeth on edge.
  • clairedeedee
    Options
    I use the zenlabs app on iphone-its good on the treadmill but the pause button sometimes get pushed by accident when out and so sometimes the lady doesn't talk to me!!
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    My phone isn't terribly smart, so I use podcasts. My fave has been the series put out by NHS (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx). I like the music, and love the voice commentary. The encouraging comments are not too frequent, and timed perfectly. I like that she throws in some running tips each week too. Also, I do fancy that British accent.

same here. first time i listened to it at home i thought i would hate it, but nobody made a metal version so far haha.
    once i start running i dont really hear the music anymore, so its okay :)
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I use Run Double on my android phone.

I use it with Pandora or you can use it with your own playlist. When it comes time to switch intervals it pauses my music, vibrates my phone and the voice come on telling you what's next followed by a summary of what I just did (miles, pace, etc).

It also has a website that it uploads your progress to as soon as you're done with your run so you can see all the stats as well as a map of where you ran.

The first 2 weeks are free but to upgrade it is $1.60. I felt it was worth it. 80s Pop is always fun to run to on Pandora!
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use Run Double for Andriod. It comes with a free two weeks and after that is is $1.60 and it is well worth it. It lays out the schedule you'll be running, shows your stats at the end and uploads them to the Run Double website in your account. You can use your own music playlist or internet radio like Pandora. It has remained glitch free and I still use it for 'fun runs' and will be using it for the 5k to 10k training. By far the best app on my phone (aside from MFP, of course :p )
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • evanesco
    Options
    Highly recommend C25K by BlueFin, 69p gets you GPS, customisable playlists, run pace, walk pace, average pace, distance, current pace, weight tracker, calories burned. I graduate next week and have already dowloaded their Bridge to 10K app. They also do a C210K app.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week one of the 5K101 podcast, which is from the Running Mate website. I like it so far-- the music is motivating, and there's a real person giving the prompts. I haven't tried the app yet. Maybe if I get tired of the music, that will be a good option.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I just used the free "A HIIT Interval Timer" for my Android and plugged in the splits for training session myself. Can use it simultaneously running Endomondo (for GPS to get distance, calorie burn, etc., speed, split-times, etc.) and any type of music you want (Pandora, Tune-In Radio, your own playlist, whatever).

No voice. It just starts a warning countdown and then dings when it's time to change what you're doing but, obviously, if you're running, it's time to walk or vice-versa.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use the C25k bye zen labs was free and my music or audio book in my case plays over it its great
    I find the audio book helps with pacing and keeps my mind of the running
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use the zenlabs app on iphone-its good on the treadmill but the pause button sometimes get pushed by accident when out and so sometimes the lady doesn't talk to me!!
    if the lady isnt talking to you usualy means you have hit the silence tab on the side I lock my phone down when I am running so no buttons get pushed
  • BeckyAndie
    BeckyAndie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use the c25k app from Active.com. It works nicely, I play my own music. I "log" my workouts on it and if I run outside it tracks my distance and my pace, which I really like.

Just finished W7D2.

I use this app also. I love that I can build my own playlists to listen to and also get the voice prompts simultaneously. Great app!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do all of my training on a treadmill. I'm up really early (4:30 am) and it's way too dark and dangerous for me on the streets. I've been using the C25K Free from Zen Labs app on my Android for 6 weeks and it works just fine for me. I can play my own music; the voice prompts pause what I'm listening to to tell me to run, walk or cool down; It tells me when I'm halfway done; and it's free!!

The only issues I have with it are that sometimes the voice is too quiet and I miss my cues (usually only when my song was really loud and I had to turn the volume down) and one time it quit on me and I didn't know it... so my last 5 minute run before the cool down turned into almost 7 before I realized it. Oh! and the ads are kind of annoying but not too bad.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been mentioned - didn't read back through the whole thread - but I am in love with RockMyRun.com! You sign up & get a free credit each month, which you can use to download the 30-min playlist of your choice. You can filter by genre, length, & BPM, which is PERFECT for keeping your legs moving when you run. If you save your credits to accumulate, for 2 you can get 60-min lists. And if you just love love love the playlists so much you want more, you can purchase credits very cheaply.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I use Run Double on my android phone.

I use it with Pandora or you can use it with your own playlist. When it comes time to switch intervals it pauses my music, vibrates my phone and the voice come on telling you what's next followed by a summary of what I just did (miles, pace, etc).

It also has a website that it uploads your progress to as soon as you're done with your run so you can see all the stats as well as a map of where you ran.

The first 2 weeks are free but to upgrade it is $1.60. I felt it was worth it. 80s Pop is always fun to run to on Pandora!

i use this also. i just use playlists from within roundouble rather than bothering with another music app. apparently it will also work with certain HRM's. mine is an el cheapo but it worked with the machines at the gym i went to which supposedly only worked with Polars, so im hoping that it will work with rundouble as well, i just have to put a new battery in it.

my only gripe (and this isnt just a rundouble issue as i had the same issue with runkeeper on my android, and pretty much any other gPS running app on a phone) is that i do an out and back run rather than a loop. so when i get the halfway reminder, i double back and head home. the problem with this is that unless you turn right on the moment of a gps update, your intervals on either side of half way are going to come up short in distance.
  • aiziks251
    Options
    Oh, and I've also used Zombies, Run! I've heard they're working on HIIT and c25k expansion packs, but for now I just run it over Runkeeper or input my own workout. I don't like ZR as much for c25k, probably partly because the zombie chases are too fast for me... but also, the timing just doesn't seem to work with the interval training right now. Then again, I'm only on Week 3 right now, so if you're later in the program and running for long stretches of time, getting chased by zombies could be the perfect motivation to not stop :)

I use Zombies, Run! as well, they now have a c25k app that you can use that seems pretty good. I pushed myself faster than the program told me to though and injured myself and so I am having to take some time off from my training.
  • jlmed
    jlmed Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I use 10K runner by Clear Sky Apps. I started with the 5K runner free version but it only lets you do the first 2 weeks. When looking to buy an app I knew I wanted to go onto a 10K later or at least have the option KWIM? The 10K runner app has the 5K built in so you do that first. It allows you to play your own music, voice prompts you to run, walk, warm up/cool down and tells you when you are half way done. I chose this app because it looked good and had great reviews. I think it was $2.99, totally worth it. I can also run other apps while this is going and there is no interference. I would totally recommend this one.
  • SteadyEdina
    SteadyEdina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm using runtastic with the bluefin podcasts because I'm doing a 10k in July but just listening to the Chubby Jones pocast and I quite like the music
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    iPhone user: I am using the 5K Runner app from Clear Skies. I'm finishing week 7 today. My first 5K race will be next weekend.

It prompts for run/walks with a voice and vibration. It has controls for a music player but I don't use it. Here's what I do:

Start Downcast app to listen to podcasts while running.
    Start Digifit app to record HR, calories, GPS map, mileage, etc. **Syncs data with MFP and Fitbit**
    Start 5K Runner app for timing and prompts for current training level.

Here are the links:

Downcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downcast/id393858566
    Digifit: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/digifit-icardio-multi-sport/id314841648?l=es&mt=8
    5K Runner: https://itunes.apple.com/app/5k-runner-0-to-5k-run-training/id439852091?mt=8

-Bob