W1D1....Anyone else needing accountability partner?

Options
amrie81
amrie81 Posts: 28 Member
This is my second go round doing the c25k. I was doing it in the fall, but had to have surgery in October and then the holidays...excuses, excuses. Starting again and today is Day 1 for me so was wondering if anyone else out there is starting today as well and was looking for people to help keep them accountable.

Replies

• fruitcake91
    fruitcake91 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I also started yesterday. Found it difficult but finished day 1 so happy with that. I haven't ran since I was a kid. So quite unfit and also asthmatic. But determined to do it:)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm in - so feel free to friend me.

I too started C25K last year and had a break from running due to illness in Nov/Dec. Back on board and just did W3D1 this morning. Last time I found I lost momentum around Week 6 due to the difficulty ramping up and many of the friends I was doing it with on MFP dropping out. This time I'm going to just redo weeks as many times as I need to until I master them - and support really helps too.

And I really sympathise about the asthma. I make sure I have a couple of pumps of both my preventative (steroid) and reliever inhaler about 20 mins before setting off. I then use the reliever as many times as needed when running. When it is really cold I wear a buff (a kind of scarf) that I can pull up over my mouth - helps keep the air going into my lungs a bit warmer. And, the best thing is, after starting running last year my lung capacity has greatly increased and my asthma nurse has noticed a real difference in my peak flow etc.

The best motivation when I'm running, I find, is a good C25K podcast. Both NHS and Chubby Jones are free on iTunes (music on Chubby is better but she does swear, which I don't mind but other people might not like - I find her really funny). The NHS website also has loads of advice: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • coldspringheadmomma
    Options
    I just did w1d1 yesterday! Anyone can add me as a friend....cuz I need the accountability as well! It was minux 8 deg celcius yesterday when I ran.......so cold but still was great! :)
  • fruitcake91
    fruitcake91 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeh I had to take my reliever a good few times! Gonna start taking my preventer when I should because I'm not great at remembering to take it regularly (tut tut!). It's good to hear your asthma has improved. I'm hoping mine will too with the running and losing weight. I have downloaded the nhs podcast so just sticking with that. Very cold here in Aberdeen at the moment (snowing!) so thank you for the scarf tip:)
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm so friending all of you.

I'm starting W1D1 in about 30 minutes when I get my butt to the gym. I started it about a year ago, but got myself into a pretty bad motorcycle accident. I was in the ICU for a couple days and required reconstructive surgery. Needless to say, recovery from that took a while, and bad habits slowly started to creep back in, especially when I was working upwards of 50-60 hours a week over the summer... I gained back all 35 pounds I had lost and then some. But now I'm back on the ball and ready to go full speed ahead! I'm so glad to meet people who are right there with me!
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started Sunday - the gym was packed and it was beautiful out. Today its freezing & I'm impressed with those running outside still!

Did anyone find that their quads were extremely sore / tight afterwards? I get that I'm not in shape, but I could do 45 mins on the ellipitcal at a 10/12 and not end up feeling this sore. but feels good too.
  • coldspringheadmomma
    Options

The best motivation when I'm running, I find, is a good C25K podcast. Both NHS and Chubby Jones are free on iTunes

I've never heard of a C25K podcast....can't even imagine what that is so I will def be checking that out! Thanks for the tip!
  • coldspringheadmomma
    Options

Did anyone find that their quads were extremely sore / tight afterwards? I get that I'm not in shape, but I could do 45 mins on the ellipitcal at a 10/12 and not end up feeling this sore. but feels good too.

Can't say that I found my quads an issue. I guess just overall my whole body felt kinda stiff/tight. My shins hurt quite a bit during all the jog portions (I did W1D1 yesterday) bu I know whenever I try jogging I have shin splints and have to just work through it. So glad to have others on here that are at the same cycle as me. Tomorrow is W1D2 and I can't wait. It's projected to be minus 18deg C outside tomorrow! If it's unbearable - I'll go to the gym/treadmill. :)
  • coldspringheadmomma
    Options
    I'm so glad to meet people who are right there with me!

Me too....it's awesome to have others at the same spot in C25K as I am. Welcome....glad we're friends on here now!
  • jenesnow
    jenesnow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me! Add me please, I am so excited that there are so many people starting at the same time I am!
  • Jillathia
    Jillathia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started today too :-) Tried one week a year ago and I am pleasantly surprised I am not as dead as I was then. Feel free to add me as a friend!

I also used the Chubby podcast. Loved it!
  • erinkelly77
    Options
    I got through week 2 (just two weeks ago...) and then my knee started getting tight. So I upped the cross training/strength training in the mean time and am planning on restarting tonight.

I MUCH prefer running outside. And I had been good about doing it when I got home around 8/830 pm - even when it was cold. But right now - it is just too cold. No amount of layers prepare my thighs for the burn. So I'll try the treadmill. But i HATE treadmill running... so here's hoping I can get through it!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

The best motivation when I'm running, I find, is a good C25K podcast. Both NHS and Chubby Jones are free on iTunes

I've never heard of a C25K podcast....can't even imagine what that is so I will def be checking that out! Thanks for the tip!

Ha ha! Basically they include music with someone talking over the top to tell you when to warm up, when to run, when to walk etc, along with bits of advice. I find it much easier than trying to keep an eye on my watch about when to run.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm starting tmrw and desperately need someone to keep me accountable! Every one I know either down right doesn't support, doesn't think I can do it, or doesn't want to actively help on the journey. Having someone else going through the same thing I am AND help keep my accountable for skipping a day/week is exactly what I need!

Feel free to add!!!!!
  • coldspringheadmomma
    Options
    I did my week 1 day 2 tonight on the treadmill. It's minus 32 deg C out there so off to the YMCA I went. I made it through, never once thought about stopping even though I had the shin splints again. I do have good sneakers, and good orthotics. I'll try some stretches, as I have not been doing those before the jog/walk. Please everyone check in and let us know how today was (if it was a C25K day!).....
  • amrie81
    Options
    Oh yay!! So glad so many are starting at the same time I am. Did W1D2 today. Took everything I had! I'm running "literally" on two hours of sleep today. Our two year old decided to just randomly be up all night. But did it!
  • amrie81
    Options
    I started Sunday - the gym was packed and it was beautiful out. Today its freezing & I'm impressed with those running outside still!

My issue was my hips! Man they are tight! Really need to add yoga or something to my new routine. I'm running outside but I'm in Texas so it's not bad. I think it was in the 50s today.
  • coldspringheadmomma
    Options
    Oh yay!! So glad so many are starting at the same time I am. Did W1D2 today. Took everything I had! I'm running "literally" on two hours of sleep today. Our two year old decided to just randomly be up all night. But did it!

You sure did do it! Take everything positive as a victory!!!!
  • erinkelly77
    Options
    I did my week 1 day 2 tonight on the treadmill. It's minus 32 deg C out there so off to the YMCA I went. I made it through, never once thought about stopping even though I had the shin splints again. I do have good sneakers, and good orthotics. I'll try some stretches, as I have not been doing those before the jog/walk. Please everyone check in and let us know how today was (if it was a C25K day!).....

When I first tried doing this on the treadmill, I had shin splints (that i didn't have when running outside!). I eased it by loosening up on the elliptical. Gets your body moving with low impact. Give it a shot - it may help.
  • amrie81
    Options
    Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Today is W1D3 for me. How do you log it in? I've seen some actually have it listed through MFP, but is that something you manually did or am I searching the wrong thing? Anyone else signing up for a 5K at the end. I'm going to because I think it will help keep me accountable. So it looks like March 23 is the day.