calcium

Options
i notice that they show that 3/4 cup of plain yogurt = 68% of daily calcium need. at our age, we should be getting 1200 mg of calcium so that amount of yogurt would only be about 40% of daily need. seems like there should be the ability to customize the setting for calcium goal.

Replies

• greenwel
    greenwel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can customize your calcium setting by going to goals->change goals. It is set at 1000 mg (it says 100, but that means 1000) If you want to raise it, you would put in 120, I think.
    1200 is correct for our age.
    I have adjusted (down) sodium to 1500. I like the fact that I can do this on this program.
  • greenwel
    greenwel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to fool around with dietary calcium, it's easier to take a supplement. I like the one that is 1200 mg calcium with 1000 IU of Vitamin D since they work together, and there is not much sun in my part of the world at this time of year :glasses:
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI about calcium supplements. There have been several studies that show supplements could create a prediliction for heart problems and another recent study that shows a correlation between calcium supplements and brain lesions.

I used to take supplements, but my doctor told me to stop. She said adjust your diet slightly to include more calcium rich foods and she herself was not taking supplements anymore. She does however advocate taking Vitamin D supplements to help your body absorb calcium better.

I'm not preaching that you shouldn't take supplements, just that there is research that you might want to look at.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I take D3 and a Tums daily per my Doc's orders and try to get the rest by diet.