Nutrition Fundamentals

Options
stroutman81
stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
A while back I started writing a manual. My intention was to cover everything I had in my head at the time regarding things such as nutrition for fat loss, muscle gain, performance, exercise programming for various goals, the mindset of success and expectation management, etc. Needless to say... I stopped short of completing the task.

Life got in the way. Even if it didn't, I'm not sure I would have continued on. I'm simply not interested at the moment in joining the group of fitness publishers on the net for a variety of reasons.

The short of it is I decided to give the nutrition section of the manual away on my website. It has received almost 20,000 views and a lot of people claim it's the best consolidation of nutrition information they've seen on the 'net. Therefore, I think it's worthy of being stuck to the top of the forum. If you haven't seen it before, I think it'd be very helpful to you if you read bits and pieces of this when you have the time.

And if you enjoy it, I'd really appreciate you sharing it.

www.body-improvements.com/resources/eat

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    This is really great info!!!!! Thanks for all the hard work!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    My pleasure. I appreciate you tuning in!
  • jaimevondawson
    Options
    Thank you, as always for the no bs straight talk. It is SO appreciated! With that being said, I was wondering what your thoughts were on the whole herbalife thing. I know it is most important to learn to have a heathly relationship with your body, food, calories, etc...but I was curious as to what your thoughts were...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thank you, as always for the no bs straight talk. It is SO appreciated! With that being said, I was wondering what your thoughts were on the whole herbalife thing. I know it is most important to learn to have a heathly relationship with your body, food, calories, etc...but I was curious as to what your thoughts were...

Tagging this thread to read Steve's reply to the above.
  • stroutman81
    Options

First thing that comes to mind is pyramid scheme. I hate the invasion of these sorts of company structures. Granted, just because a company is structured to build legions of minion zealots to preach 'the good word,' it doesn't necessarily mean the underlying program or product is trash. Just look at beach body with their p90x. It's a decent program relative to the rest of the garbage on the street. But the whole beach body consultant nonsense generates a legion of elitists and gurus who do nothing but preach a biased message about the product/program they've come to love.

I'm speaking very generally as I have friends who are beach body consultants who aren't as jaded as the general bbc. But my point remains.

So what do I think about what's going on under the hood of herbalife... behind all the marketing and business crap? I think most HL customers use the supplements more than anything else. And from that standpoint, I have to believe they're paying premiums for what HL represents. Why buy supplements through a biz structure that has more middlemen than necessary? Granted, I've never done a comparative analysis... it's simply my suspicion.

What does the actual HL program look like nowadays? Is there a unified way they want you handling your nutrition overall?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    (welcome back Steve)

Not the person who asked the question but I was curious so I went to their site and looked at their product packages. Why I couldn't have done this before you responded, I don't know, but I didn't. So --

Seems to be 3 core products for weight loss programs: a meal replacement shake, a multi-vitamin, and a 'cell activator' (another pill or capsule, based on the packaging). And their articles are the usual 'eat several small meals, replace high calorie snacks with low fat high protein snacks such as our delicious bars, and 30 minutes of exercise 3x a week.' They have an 'advanced' and 'ultimate' package as well which are those products plus additional supplements like:

Snack Defense® a unique herb blend that helps your body process sugar from your meals and snacks.*
    Aminogen®† to help break down proteins into amino acids
    Cell-U-Loss® to support the appearance of healthy skin and the healthy elimination of water.*
    Thermo-Bond Give your digestive system and Weight Management program added support with this fiber-enriched tablet.
    Total Control® is made with high-quality tea extracts – including green, black and oolong teas – and calming, soothing ginger to ease the digestive discomfort

Can't figure out how much they cost since you have to go through a distributor.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Honestly, there's nothing earth shatteringly awesome out there in the supplement world. So if HL gives you the financial incentive, placebo/belief, or whatever to actually make a meaningful difference in your life/health... then I'm on board. For some, it might provide the sticktoitiveness that's needed. But from a high level, without doing a bunch of research of their actual products, I just don't see it being anything special at all besides a dressed up nutrition multi level marketing company.
  • jaimevondawson
    Options
    Thanks for your input; always value your opinion!
  • OregonShell
    OregonShell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Steve,
    Just finished reading your article on your website ( Nutrition 101) and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to compose a lot of information into a single place that is fairly easy to comprehend. I look forward to combing thru the information you have made available to us here on MFP and on the web.

I am hoping this new information will help me to be more successful in my own personal journey to a healthier and happier me. :smile:
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You're welcome guys! It's really my pleasure and of course I LOVE hearing from folks who are able to take something positive away from my writing.

If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate asking.