Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any surgical menopause 40 something women on here?

hap2010
hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
I am 43, had my last surgery in May of 2011. I was great for a while without hormones but then I stopped sleeping so I started HRT. Now I am off of it again because of the weight gain. Anyone else have a similar story?

Replies

• fatyoga
    fatyoga Posts: 207 Member
    I had my BSO in May of 2008. The following Feb. I had my gallbladder removed. I have done nothing but gain weight since. I started (seriously) trying to lose in Nov. 2012. I have lost 15 lbs. so far but CANNOT get back to my pre-surgery weight yet. I'm not on HRT--tried it for a while but dr. says I don't need anymore.
  • hap2010
    It is so frustrating for me. I used to cut back a little and I could lose the weight. Now it just seems like a daily struggle. Too much exercise, I stop losing, too little, I stop losing. I just want to feel normal again.
  • fatyoga
    I know what you mean. Having the surgery made me feel really old and now that I can't get back to that pre-surgery weight, I'm feeling really old again, only fat and old this time. I know it's mostly mental but I'm struggling to find the right combination to break through the plateau.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    When they done my hysterectomy, they didn't know if they would take the ovaries or not until they got in there. My doctor ask me if I wanted HRT if they had to take them. He said it would be up to me, but he thinks the advantages far out weigh the risks. He said if I didn't take them I would most diffidently gain weight and age alot quicker. The didn't have to take the ovaries, but I am at that age, I thing they have failed anyways. I do take HRT, I don't gain....but losing sure it tough.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    I'm 45 and had my total hysterectomy last April because of cancer. I feel so fortunate that I haven't noticed any menopause symptoms even though I'm not taking HRT. I *might* have some of the sleep related symptoms, but they're pretty mild and I'm in shock that I never had a single hot flash. I've lost 70 pounds since the surgery and it seems a little harder to lose than when I was younger, but it's not impossible.
  • fatyoga
    I'm 45 and had my total hysterectomy last April because of cancer. I feel so fortunate that I haven't noticed any menopause symptoms even though I'm not taking HRT. I *might* have some of the sleep related symptoms, but they're pretty mild and I'm in shock that I never had a single hot flash. I've lost 70 pounds since the surgery and it seems a little harder to lose than when I was younger, but it's not impossible.
    Good for you!
  • hap2010

That is awesome..congrats to you!!
  • hap2010
    When they done my hysterectomy, they didn't know if they would take the ovaries or not until they got in there. My doctor ask me if I wanted HRT if they had to take them. He said it would be up to me, but he thinks the advantages far out weigh the risks. He said if I didn't take them I would most diffidently gain weight and age alot quicker. The didn't have to take the ovaries, but I am at that age, I thing they have failed anyways. I do take HRT, I don't gain....but losing sure it tough.

When I had my hysterectomy, they only took one ovary. Then four years later, I ended up having to go in and have the last one removed. HRT are so hard to predict. I hear some gain, some lose. I didn't gain right away but doctors kept increasing the dose and that is when the weight gain started. I feel much better off of them but I was never good on birth control so I think it is a hormone thing.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    how about almost 50 surgical menopause....i was early 40th when it happened though!
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    very similar story, but now using BIOIDENTICAL hormones. Not so harsh and not as bad systemically!
  • hap2010
    how about almost 50 surgical menopause....i was early 40th when it happened though!

It is nice to know that I am not alone. :happy:
  • hap2010
    very similar story, but now using BIOIDENTICAL hormones. Not so harsh and not as bad systemically!

When I started having issues on the patch, I wanted to try Bioidentical but my insurance doesn't cover it so I just weaned myself off of the patch. Aside from some hot flashes and minor sleeping issues, I feel great. I have found that since I started working out, the hot flashes have reduced considerable. All the more reason to exercise!!
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    I had surgical menopause, had hormones (the horse urine ones), then compounded hormones worked best. Gained weight. I had gallbladder surgery too. Continued to gain weight. Lots of thyroid (low)/hypothyroid issues.

If you have trouble losing weight or continue to gain weight you may want to have your thyroid checked out. Mine was very low.
  • Lesliet69
    Lesliet69 Posts: 1 Member
    You are not alone!
    I had a TSH in April 2010. And gained 10 pounds instantly. I continued to gain and I am now 30 pounds more than pre surgery. I have faithfully logged every single thing that I put in my mouth. For exercise I tried working out at the gym doing elliptical, treadmill, weights. And just recently did Insanity for a full month and lost a lousy 4 pounds.
    I am so depressed and about to give up.
    I had my thyroid checked last year and it was fine. I tried being off of hrt, being on higher does, and now I am on low dose Estrogen and Progesterin. I have to be on both because I had horrible endometriosis.
    I haven't tried bio-identical because when I first had surgery my DR said I couldn't be on those due to endometriosis.
    I feel Fat, and old. I feel like that surgery took away a good 20 years of my life.

This is my last attempt, Praying it works. But it doesn't seem to be doing a thing....
  • hap2010
    I feel your pain. I am getting frustrated. I have been doing this for 50 days now. Faithfully logging all my food. Exercising (which I never really did before) I have been able to drop 9.5 pounds but I have been at that weight for about 2 weeks now, Annoying!! I just wish that I would have known the true consequences of having my last ovary removed. I am happy that I am no longer in pain (ovarian cysts) all the time. I still have some pain but not nearly as bad as before. I assume that it is from new adhesions but I will do whatever I can to avoid more surgery since they cause more adhesions. Vicious cycle!! We can make it through this together.
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Surgical menopause since September last year, on HRT and having no problems - I lost about 4 more pounds post-surgery and have maintained easily since then (at goal weight). I've heard a lot of people having trouble with this, so I was concerned - but for me it wasn't an issue. Get your doctor to review HRT with you.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    I had my hysterectomy 10 years ago at 38, but I kept my ovaries. Didn't have too many problems at first, but starting soon after I turned 40, mild hot flashes that became major and weight just crept up on me. I use compounded natural progesterone cream and have off and on for years, but only for the last 9 months on a regular basis. I have not had a hard time losing weight, but I do have to be vigilant, and I cannot lose without exercise, but that may be because I love to eat.

I have breast and cervical cancer in my family, so I am only willing to use the natural progesterone--my aunt's breast cancer developed soon after she began HRT and my grandmother's cervical cancer did, too. Luckily, it works pretty well. I still have hot flashes and night sweats, but they are infrequent and bearable if a little embarrassing sometimes.

ETA: hysterectomy was due to endometriosis. Even with the menopausal stuff starting early and seeming unbearable at times a few years ago, still the best decision I ever made. The endometriosis made me miserable, and I in turn made everyone around me miserable.
  • I did the same thing! I've gained about 9 pounds since my surgery in April this year. It's depressing. The hot flashes have gotten more tolerable, but the mood swings seem to have gotten worse. I can't have hormones due to having had cancer, but I"m scared to try the Lexapro for my moods because antidepressants could make me gain even more weight! Giving this my best shot, I'm only 41, but at the rate I"ve gained weight they'll be rolling me around by the time I'm 50, lol!
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Lapband surgery in August 2011. Lost 130 pounds by January 2013. Had hysterectomy in February 2013 and have gained 10 pounds. No change to my diet or exercise routine. How can I go from consistantly losing to nothing almost overnight? Sooooooo frustrating! I'm only 48 and at this rate will never hit my goal weight.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I want a higher dose of HRT. I hate what losing my ovaries did to my brain. I have to work really hard at feeling happy now, and I feel mentally slow, like information isn't right on the tip of my tongue any more. I don't think the surgery, or the HRT has affected my weight in any way.

P.S. For me, progesterone seems to be more important than estrogen. Estrogen-only HRT turned me into a wreck. Adding progesterone got me tolerably back on track. Also, I do much better with synthetic hormones than bio-identical hormones. I think that you look great, but if the HRT that you are taking is causing trouble, there are probably other HRT options.

I'd trade gaining weight for feeling stupid, but I am in the best shape of my life, partly because I exercise to cheer myself up.