What were you told about NSAIDS?

Options
on2anewme
on2anewme Posts: 18 Member
When I had my surgery in 2007, I was told no aspirin or motri, aleve etc. I've read about some people with a bypass taking these without problems. What is your experience? Just curious as I have a knee that keeps acting up.

Thanks,
Debbie :-)

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was told never any NSAIDS. They can cause uclers in what's left of my stomach (sleeve).
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I was told that if I needed some pain relief, to use only acetaminophen.
  • meangrl29
    meangrl29 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i don't remember being told anything about them. I had a very bad ibuprofen habit for chronic headaches. recently starting taking aleve every once in a while. i will have to switch.
    on the same note; i was told no extended release meds. my psych told me it wasnt a problem. took one for a year then family doc said he must have thought i had lap band b/c i shouldn't be taking extended release. anybody know about this?
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was told no Nsaids after surgery. and I know from personal experience that they cause ulcers since I had one.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention I had the sleeve WLS. Some drs will allow NSAIDS after sleeve surgery but my group won't. I was on them before surgery and had to get off them a month before surgery May 2012 and haven't been on them since. I was worried I would be in horrible pain being off them but I am not. Loosing the weight has helped so much with my knee pain.
  • veggibus
    veggibus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My surgeon allows me to take Alieve as long as I am also taking my Pepcid. I had a bypass.

I haven't taken advantage of this yet - have only taken tylenol since my surgery. But it is nice to know that the option is available.
  • Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i was told absolutely no nsaids, its on all my medical forms everywhere. basically they can make little holes (ulcers) in my pouch!it stinks because unfortunately tylanol never relieves my pains!
  • Mystismom
    Options
    I was told I could only take Acetomeniphen.As far as sustained release meds, I needed to switch to non -sustained release post surgery.I had a bypass.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was told no Nsaids after surgery. and I know from personal experience that they cause ulcers since I had one.

Me, too! I was taking an arthritis medicine and continued it after surgery. And got an ulcer!