total rookie, looking for advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    thanks all ! Bit of a bummer though as I am having problems with my knees. Discomfort in one, pain in another if I over extend it , plus other random soreness, so worried tae kwon do could really make them worse....gonna see if I can see my Doc soon for advise. classes are still a couple of weeks away so might be ok by then.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    thanks all ! Bit of a bummer though as I am having problems with my knees. Discomfort in one, pain in another if I over extend it , plus other random soreness, so worried tae kwon do could really make them worse....gonna see if I can see my Doc soon for advise. classes are still a couple of weeks away so might be ok by then.
    Definitely get your knees looked at by your Doctor. See if you can get in touch with the Instructor about whether or not you can observe a class first, that way you'll be able to see what goes on and whether or not it's going to strain your knees.

As for the first session...I found it no different to going to an aerobics class for the first time! The movements were so alien to me!! But you do need to persevere :) to see if it's something you want to do long term
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have knee issues, too. You should definitely bring that up with the instructor (assuming you get the all clear from the doctor). My instructor gave me some exercises to help with my knees, and doesn't give me a hard time when I modify the conditioning training to be gentler.
  • mmiski
    mmiski Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do Muay Thai Kickboxing at an MMA gym, where I can also do some ground game work with MMA. The cardio is outstanding when doing kickboxing and when you get to the level when you can start sparing it becomes something else all together.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga!
  • 8limbedpanda
    Options
    I do Muay Thai Kickboxing at an MMA gym, where I can also do some ground game work with MMA. The cardio is outstanding when doing kickboxing and when you get to the level when you can start sparing it becomes something else all together.

Lol I was wondering when someone was going to mention Muay Thai! I agree with what you said, and I would also check out any Muay Thai classes to
  • kitsuneandy
    Options
    I do Choy Li Fut Kung Fu

If you look at the Plum Blossom Federation website there might be an affiliated school near you.

It's a very traditional form of Kung Fu and there's an incredible amount to learn. Really good workout, very good for self defense and designed for fighting multiple opponents.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Seconding the shout-out for Krav Maga! Even though I'd argue that Krav Maga isn't a martial art; it's learning to survive a street fight. There are a lot of exercise drills, which are an incredible cardio workout in and of themselves, plus a good bit of conditioning work. The calorie burns are also higher than in most martial arts.

Another way you might see what looks like the right style for you is to watch youtube clips of this discovery channel program called "Fight Quest." These two guys basically travel around the world to learn about differing fighting styles, and then going against the practitioners. It's worth watching the krav maga episode JUST to see the MMA fighter get his *kitten* whooped by a tiny Israeli woman. Scratch that: it's worth watching just to see a female martial arts instructor!

I am Thirding Krav Maga. If Self-Defense is your goal along with a hell of a workout...I dont know of another style that can compete. Krav Maga is all the martial without the art.

No disrespect to arts like TKD and BJJ, but they are built around a controlled environment. If you want self defense for modern everyday situation, Krav is the way to go.
  • jlmarcin
    Options
    I take boxing classes. An hour of technique and then an hour of bag work three times a week. I may add Muay Thai in the next month or so. My first class about killed me as I was out of shape. I quickly started feeling stronger and had more stamina with the conditioning drills. Every single class my coach reminds us to be wary of our pains and past injuries. He even works separately with those who have injuries to help loosen them up or reduce the pain. I injured my Achilles tendon last year and while I take it a bit easy on certain drills, this sure beats the crap out of running right now even though you are always moving and using all your joints. I feel and see a significant firming up of my core, legs, and arms. And I've only been doing it for about three weeks.
  • LGinSoCal
    LGinSoCal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this has already been asked in an earlier thread....

I am just considering pursuing some training in martial arts. In the past I have participated in a lot of organized sports but never any fighting or self defense. There is a lot of different martial art styles/types and it's a little overwhelming. What advice or resources can you give me to help me figure out where to start?

I know I should look into different facilities around me and see what gets my attention/feels right.

You may also wonder what I want to get out of it, I would like the training to be physical and a good work out. I am also interested in progression, continuously learning and improving (I'm not sure if all areas of martial arts are progressive or just some). Self defense or situational fighting skills could be useful as well.

I am a 24 year old female and in fairly good shape and very active.

I appreciate any advice you have!

Self defense is a lot more than learning striking and grappling. Even though I do several disciplines, I wouldn't say it is for self-defense. After all no martial art really makes you Taze proof, bullet proof, knife proof, multiple attacker proof, and what not. So why bother? 'Cuz it is fun and oddly satisfying. It does teach you about violence and you quickly realize fighting isn't what you imagined it to be. It does teach you hard knocks and coping with pain.

Frankly, it is the quality of the school rather than the particular discipline. Find a good school. It will become like a second home. What happens anyway is that once you get into martial arts and you find that you like it, you will branch out into other disciplines.

Hope that helps.