Thursday Challenge!! Show me your BEST push-up

Options
Realizing that we're all at different places with our physical abilities I thought it would be fun to have a push-up challenge!!! If you're able to do push-up join us Thursday!! http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/pushup-challenge

The Pushup Challenge

by Mercy College

Take this 3-minute test to find out how fit you really are.

Physical fitness isn't just about lifting. It's about how strong you are relative to your body weight, says Martin Rooney, P.T., C.S.C.S., author of Ultimate Warrior Workouts. That's why he has his athletes-in-training do body-weight tests. If they struggle, they need to either gain strength or lose weight. Test yourself the same way with his pushup challenge.

The Test

Do as many pushups as you can in 3 minutes.

Rules

1. Rest whenever you want, but keep the clock running the whole time.

2. For a rep to count, you must maintain perfect form: elbows locked at the top, chest 2 inches above the floor at the bottom, hips not sagging, and knees not touching the floor.

3. Pace yourself however you’d like, but it’s best not to rush, Rooney says. Take a 15-second break once you slow down after your first burst. Then take longer breaks as you become more tired, he says. Never push yourself to total fatigue.

How you did:

< 55 pushups
Below average

55 to 74 pushups
Average

75 to 99 pushups
Good

100 to 110 pushups
Excellent

111 or more
ExtraordinaryThe Pushup Challenge

Replies

• oAshlio
    oAshlio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am so for doing this, but man I garantee that I can only do like 10 in 3 minutes. Lol. So I am way below average, but I think some pushups will be good for my upper body!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I just knocked out 60 in the 3 minutes. Not too many added after the 2 minute mark. I had 50 at that point. Still a lot of room to improve. I don't know where they got 3 minutes from for the test. The US Army, Navy and Air Force have a timed 2 minute test. The Marines have no push-up test, but do pull-ups instead. Anyway, the test really is a good indication of upper body strength and increasing can be as easy as do 10 before bed and increasing by two any time it gets easy.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Oh I can't wait to do this!
  • beverlyl64
    Options
    I also will be below average, but that's ok, you gotta start somewhere. I'm game and will post results later. Push-ups are great for strength training the upper body, and they create lean sexy upper arms and shoulders.
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't have to do it to know the answer! lol Below Average for sure. I started slim in 6 this week and the push-ups on there are the girlie ones where your knees are on the floor. Yesterday I worked up to 10 push-ups. My arms are my weakest thing though. Hopefully will be able to work my way up with that.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    For hell week at GISFW I just did a similar activity. I am way below average.
    I could do 6 in 1 minute. I’ll work on this one, it’s a CHALLENGE for sure.

Modified Knee pushups I can do 8-9 a minute.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I will do this but I can tell you without doing it what i am. LOL