Martial Arts Speech

Options
JephaMooi
JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
Hey, I was considering writing a speech (for college) on martial arts.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

My age group is college kids. I'd like to overall inform them that martial arts isn't about beating people up, and key in on respect and preparation.

Replies

• chandjm
    chandjm Posts: 16
    Options
    Good idea. Also focus on the concept of "Do"(pronounced doe like deer) or "the way" Karate-do, Tang Soo Do etc. Getting to Black belt is not the goal its the path getting there thats more important. Also "do" describes a way of life that developes from being in martial arts. The founder of my style, Tang Soo Do, Master Hwang Kee believed that through hard and training you could develope a persons character. And those things would transfer into everyday life. These concepts can be found in almost all traditional martial arts philososphies.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I would also recommend how it teaches the importance of responsibility and restraint.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    We're taught in TAGB style of Tae Kwon Do the following tenets, and t feel this applies across the board for all Martial Arts:

Courtesy
    Integrity
    Perseverance
    Self Control
    Indomitable Spirit
    Getting to Black belt is not the goal its the path getting there thats more important
    And this.

Just my thoughts on what you could include in your speech.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Good idea. Also focus on the concept of "Do"(pronounced doe like deer) or "the way" Karate-do, Tang Soo Do etc. Getting to Black belt is not the goal its the path getting there thats more important. Also "do" describes a way of life that developes from being in martial arts. The founder of my style, Tang Soo Do, Master Hwang Kee believed that through hard and training you could develope a persons character. And those things would transfer into everyday life. These concepts can be found in almost all traditional martial arts philososphies.

This.

I actually have seen a black belt test at my school, and at the end of the test, there was a (required) speech which was very uplifting and emotional at the same time. He spoke about how his journey to BB started, and how my Master and Chief Instructor, were very motivating, helpful, and supportive during that time. He also mentioned how his family played an important role in achieving his Martial Arts goals, and how it changed him mentally as well as physically.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Focus on the Art in the martial art not just the martial portion. It seems to be lost in this day and age of cage fughting.
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Getting to Black belt is not the goal its the path getting there thats more important

and the path that continues afterwards.

I think it's great to try and dispel the myth that it's all about fighting. If your art had tenets maybe you could talk about everyday situations to which the tenets could apply, or personal experiences, you know, how your art affects you as a person and your life outside of training.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Google ten commandments of the dojo.

Read book of the fiverings.

Google henry okazaki