Heavy Lifting

Options
martinbeks
martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
So, I started doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer, and lifting heavy, per her instructions. I can't believe how many people get on me about lifting heavy and how it'll make me look like a man. I could argue until I'm blue in the face, but I won't. I'm enjoying lifting heavy, and isn't that the most important thing?

Anyone else have to argue the same point?

Replies

• Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How heavy is "heavy"?
  • erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I say don't let it bother you! They will see, you will not bulk up but you will get lean and lose weight. Let that speak for itself.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Haha, I think my husband is getting jealous of my guns, he said the other day I better stop soon, no way sucka, he's just jealous!
  • martinbeks
    Options
    How heavy is "heavy"?

As heavy as I can safely go. Sadly, it's not much, but it varies. For my lower body, between 90-150 lbs, and for my upper body, 8-70 lbs. It depends on what part I'm working out, and what machine/dumbbell/barbell I can safely lift. For example, I could easily squat 50 lbs with a barbell, except my weenie upper body won't let me lift a barbell bigger than 40 lbs.
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love lifting heavy weights. Luckily, a lot of women lift heavy weights at my gym so there are no comments. My husband couldn't believe the amount of weight I've been lifting and he says my arms look fantastic. It's nice to feel strong, so I agree with you, if you feel good doing it, keep it up!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Dont let it bother you! You can't tell people, wait till they see you aren't bulking up! I have yet to be bulking- I lift heavy and used to powerlift!
  • karenplauze
    karenplauze Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and recently increased my single arm Kettlebell snatch weight from 16 to 18 KG (39.7 pounds) at Crossfit class. No one complained, but many complimented.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Drop a knowledge bomb on them. Talk about how women don't have the testosterone etc. Make them realize they don't actually know what they're talking about
  • martinbeks
    Options
    Drop a knowledge bomb on them. Talk about how women don't have the testosterone etc. Make them realize they don't actually know what they're talking about

You know, I told my sister that last night, and she retorted, "I've seen some women at Walmart who would argue with those 'Facts.'"

*rolls eyes*

I guess I'm just going to have to be their proof. It's a cross I'm willing to bear. :wink:
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How heavy is "heavy"?

As heavy as I can safely go. Sadly, it's not much, but it varies. For my lower body, between 90-150 lbs, and for my upper body, 8-70 lbs. It depends on what part I'm working out, and what machine/dumbbell/barbell I can safely lift. For example, I could easily squat 50 lbs with a barbell, except my weenie upper body won't let me lift a barbell bigger than 40 lbs.

If you use a smith machine, you won't have to worry about your arms lifting anything. Not to say you shouldn't build your upper body strength, but using a smith machine will allow you to go heavier on your legs.
  • Annaruthus
    Options
    speaking of lifting heavy. I had an NSV on Monday morning. On an incline bench, I did my chest press with 35 lbs dumbbells for 6 reps!
  • Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How heavy is "heavy"?

[/quote

Wow!! I can only manage 10kg at the moment for the barbell lifts and 5- 6 kg for the dumb bells]
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    speaking of lifting heavy. I had an NSV on Monday morning. On an incline bench, I did my chest press with 35 lbs dumbbells for 6 reps!

blond question here: but so many things have different names - is a chest press just like a bench press - except u were using dumbells instead of the bar??
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    How heavy is "heavy"?

If you use a smith machine, you won't have to worry about your arms lifting anything. Not to say you shouldn't build your upper body strength, but using a smith machine will allow you to go heavier on your legs.

You know i started on the smith machine then went to the racks with my squats - oddly tho, i could squat MORE in the racks then in the SM - but it still was great for me b/c it built my confidence to do the RACKS alone w/out fearing making a fool of myself.

lol
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I had a guy ask me how I was lifting heavy and not getting "bulky." I said, "I don't have the same level of testosterone as you AND I'm not taking steroids." Simple! And it shocked him, which made it good for a laugh. :laugh:
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Because I needed to bulk more, I did 2 months of phase 1 of LiveFit, and I'm not HUGE. I'm definitely stronger and have muscle pushing under the extra 'fat' I gathered during bulking....
  • Annaruthus
    Options

blond question here: but so many things have different names - is a chest press just like a bench press - except u were using dumbells instead of the bar??

yup, that's pretty much it. It's just that chest pressing with DB's allows you to isolate each side of your chest.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    So, I started doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer, and lifting heavy, per her instructions. I can't believe how many people get on me about lifting heavy and how it'll make me look like a man. I could argue until I'm blue in the face, but I won't. I'm enjoying lifting heavy, and isn't that the most important thing?

Anyone else have to argue the same point?

I did her program last year. It gave me great definition and helped me lower my BF%. It didn't not make me look like a man which shut many people up. Just ignore them or reply with smart *kitten* comments. I usually reply with smart *kitten* comments.
  • Tina044
    Options
    Lol., Totally Awesome! Love that!!:happy:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    People are stupid--just do your thing and ignore all that negative talk. It takes a lot of hard work and very purposeful eating to put on muscle, even for a guy! And if a woman really wants to get huge, as in what is considered "manly" looking, she's probably gonna have to take some steroids. None of these things happen accidentally, or just through the course of normal heavy lifting at the gym and eating typical diets.

As for the squats, get yourself into the squat rack so you don't need to lift the barbell over your head and onto your back. That's what it's there for!