A YUMMY Breakfast recipe for us gals on the go!!

Options
mlangevin5
mlangevin5 Posts: 12 Member
Good Evening Ladies!

I have tried this smoothie recipe before and it is DELICIOUS! Flax seed looks scary, but once it is blended with all of the other ingriedients, it is so good and also GREAT for you.

Just see just a few examples of the benefits of introducing flax seed in your diet:

Omega-3 essential fatty acids, "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
Fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types to help you digest and keep you full longer!

Enjoy the recipe below and let me know if any of you try it and how you liked it yourself :-)

****Berry-Flaxseed Smoothie
A smoothie is a smart way to start your day, especially when it includes this tasty mix of foods for better blood sugar.

• prep 5min cook 0min
Ingredients Number of servings: 1 cup
• 2 tablespoons whole flaxseeds
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
• 1 cup unsweetened frozen mixed berries or blueberries
• 1 small banana, sliced
FACTOID:
Flaxseeds may seem like an unusual addition, but they blend in seamlessly and make this breakfast drink an excellent source of fiber.
How to make it 5 minutes

Place the flaxseeds in dry blender, cover, and blend until ground into a fine powder. Add the orange juice, yogurt, mixed berries (or blueberries), and banana. Cover and blend until smooth and creamy.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
• Calories: 200
• Fat: 5g
• Saturated Fat: 0g
• Cholesterol: 1mg
• Sodium: 33mg
• Carbs: 36g
• Protein: 5g

Replies

• Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Looks easy and good, I will try this when/ after I buy some flax seed. Can you mix this (flax seeds) with other things? I will be going to store before the end of the week. Thanks for posting.
  • mlangevin5
    Options
    Yes you can use flax seeds in other things and can still be tasty! Just make sure you blend/chop finer as a texture thing. If they are too large, sometimes it can make things too grainy. I have put them in my oatmeal in the morning and I have thrown in raspberries or strawberries as well, this is a great option if you like oatmeal! With the oatmeal idea I said above, you can mix in a tablespoon of vanilla flavored whey protein when you add the water before microwaving which you can get at most pharmacies or health stores. The added sweetness of the protein powder with the tart taste of raspberries is YUMMY! You can also add it in yogurt or if you blend it really well, top it on your favorite cereal!

Enjoy!!!
  • elc_july
    elc_july Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds good:) I will try when I buy all of the ingredients this weekend:) Thanks for sharing:)
  • mlangevin5
    Options
    Welcome!! Let me know how it comes out for you :-)
  • Newme318
    Newme318 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey I love to mix in the Flaxseeds with my smoothies and anything I think I can sneak in. Grind it up and you can top your Salad. So good, Thanks for the receipe
  • mlangevin5
    Options
    Yum, I never thought to put it on a sald, i'll try that! Thanks!