How did you start? Finding will power to take the plunge?

Options
Hey there,

For the past 6 months, I've been sort of flirting with some primal recipes, reading the books, bringing down my carb %, and paying attention to added sugars way more than I used to.

But at the end of the day I'm still not really primal at all. I might have a week here or there where I successfully have eggs and bacon everyday. But then the next week I often break down and have a bagel or something! Now I find myself buying low-carb wraps and cereals that totally still have grains, even if it is better than nothing. Sugar has found its way back into my cabinets and I never even pretended to say goodbye to dairy.

I might have some gluten sensitivities but nothing too extreme, so it's not really my motivator. I'm really just trying to get healthy and avoid diabetes (and every other health problem) which runs in my family.

When I look for inspiration online it seems everyone is in this 110% Like the second they found and gave primal living a chance they were all about the bone broth and organ meats and never looked back. Never lost their will to the power of french fries.

As a former vegetarian, and avid grain/bread/potato lover I find this whole lifestyle to be such a huge radical step away from the foods I love eating. Even if some part of me really believes this is for me, my mouth has other ideas.

I'm curious to know how y'all got where you are now. Did you dive in all at once? Did you do a lot of two steps forward one step back type things at first? Do you have any great beginner recipes or blogs or books that helped the transition? Sorry if I sound really winey, guess I'm looking for tips and inspiration. Thanks!

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance and a suspected problem with dairy and how it makes my blood sugar nuts. When I first started eating Paleo, I went back and forth. I was a weekday Paleo-eater for about a month until it finally clicked that I was feeling horrible Monday through Wednesday or even Thursday because of eating gluten, etc on Saturday or Sunday. Now I eat 100% Paleo, but I still have a treat day/meal - they're just paleo treats.

There are actually a lot of people who do it 80/20, or 90/10. I was never a vegetarian, but I've never liked meat. I also grew up with a constantly-dieting mom during the height of "low-fat" as a solution, so it was a huge switch. But I feel SO much better.

Only downside is that I'm not losing weight. But I recently figured out that I was probably netting about 800 calories a day, so...that might be why. We'll see. Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you'd like!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's so great that you went 100%! I feel like I'd be really proud at the moment to get to 80%, but I don't think my current lifestyle is what anyone meant by 80%

Thanks for the response! Maybe I'll try focusing on making paleo treats instead of nonpaleo ones all the time :) Good luck with your weight loss!
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    Maybe it will just take you a while to get fully on board. Before going paleo, I made other transitions: I stopped eating fast food, white pasta and breads, and sodas. After all of that, it wasn't hard at all for me to transition to paleo.

If you really think about it, bagels aren't really that good. They're just large hunks of bread that are so dense, it hurts your jaw to chew and are often dry; it isn't as enjoyable as we make it seem. Maybe thinking about small things like that and slowly taking away things like breads until you feel comfortable jumping on board would be beneficial for you.
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I spent a good half of a month telling everyone around me that I was going to eat Paleo in January. This gave me the accountability. I stopped buying the grains/dairy/legumes but obviously still had them in my pantry. i started looking at paleo recipes and cooked one or two before January showed up.

I think the best thing i did was get used to having a slice of frittata for breakfast every morning since that's when I used to have a lot of my grains (i.e. cereal). We find it very easy to cook one frittata each week and it makes 8 servings, giving the two of usin the house 4 weekday breakfasts. the last day we will each have 2 fried eggs, a scoop of frozen veggies, and some "real" bacon bits (not the best but it gives it that extra flavor without having to fry up bacon!). This takes less than 10 mins and the eggs can cook while we're doing other things to get ready.

The hardest thing for me has been lunches but I'm making more servings at dinnertime and just bringing the leftovers. I drive by my old bagel place every day. I'm sure someday I'll go back and have a fresh-baked local bagel from a real bakery; but it doesn't "call" to me. I'm not the type of person who eats that for breakfast anymore. try to tell yourself the same thing! changing habits is hard and a lot of people have great luck starting small. Make a clear, concise, small goal: I will not eat cereal for the next 30 days. See if you really miss it after those 30 days and work from there.

good luck!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Sometimes going by the KISS method (keep it simple silly/stupid) makes life a whole lot easier! :smile: I've found if I eat every 2-3 hours, I don't crave the bad stuff. It takes planning and organization - but when you plan and organize when you aren't hungry, you tend to make better choices. I have also found if you have a meal plan laid out (e.g., you've planned every meal and you have the ingredients at hand), you tend to follow it. If I know I've planned for grilled chicken and a veggie, the last thing I want to do is eat something different - because I've already started to crave what I planned. Personally, to me, there's nothing worse than having built up an expectation to eat something and then having it switched at the last minute! ("Nooooo... I don't want italian, I was craving mexican!!" :sad: )

I am trying to make this something I can do for the rest of my life. I try to make good choices at every meal, but when my son wants to make brownies, I understand my personality will make me slip and have one. I don't punish myself, I just keep on plan (THAT SAME DAY.. I don't think "ok I blew it, I guess I'll have 10 brownies"). For example, yesterday, I had a brownie - but combined with good choices for the rest of the day, I was still under my limit of 50 grams of sugar and 100 carbs. No harm, no foul. Was it 100% primal or paleo - uhh... no, but that's o.k. too. Not being perfect everyday is o.k. When you strive for perfection, you are truly striving for failure. No one is perfect all the time.

Going hard core on ANYTHING (unless it's for health reasons) is unsustainable. Find what works for you that you can do in the long run. I found eating "clean and simple" makes it easier for me, instead of trying to make a bunch of fancy paleo/primal recipes. So, basically, my lunch/dinner meals mostly consist of some sort of meat with some sort of steamed or roasted veggie or sweet potato. Period. Snacks are very basic and natural (nuts or a piece of fruit). I don't worry about carbs normally, as long as they are natural (obviously days I choose a sweet potato over brocolli, my carbs are going to be higher - but I refuse to stress about it).
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    It's so great that you went 100%! I feel like I'd be really proud at the moment to get to 80%, but I don't think my current lifestyle is what anyone meant by 80%

Thanks for the response! Maybe I'll try focusing on making paleo treats instead of nonpaleo ones all the time :) Good luck with your weight loss!

Believe me, I went to 100% kicking and screaming. And a lot of whining. My mom has two autoimmune pain disorders, and I would like to avoid those if I can. I peeked at your food diary - if you don't want to go cold turkey, there are smaller changes you can make. Either "fix" a meal, or "fix" a food - like, either fix breakfast, or replace whole milk with coconut milk if you're aiming for paleo vs primal.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb diet, which in a nutshell is Primal with beans and no dairy or fruits. You also get one cheat day a week where you can eat whatever you want in any quantity you want. I actually usually end up doing a cheat meal instead of a cheat day.

I had no problems at all eliminating grains and sugar. It means I can eat more meat!
  • each_day_stronger
    Options
    these are all really great suggestions! Thanks everyone! I'm feeling way less hopeless :)

I think planning has probably been my failure right now. Maybe I'll try my best at this moment, and start planning for February to be the month I cut out grains and sugars, might keep dairy right now, as I think it will be easy to get rid of later. Thanks for listening to me whine, and congrats for all being such stellar primal/paleo-ers!
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My nerd in me needs to quote Yoda... "Do or do not, there is no try"

:D you got this.
  • each_day_stronger
    Options
    HA! Truth. :D
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    My nerd in me needs to quote Yoda... "Do or do not, there is no try"

:D you got this.

Lol! Win.
  • ajwolters
    Options
    I'm slowly getting back to 100% Paleo. You don't have to jump in and go 100%. Just change breakfast to Paleo the first week, then add lunch the next, and dinner last. Or in what ever order would work best for your schedule and cravings :) After about 4 months of strict Paleo, "normal" food was revolting - too salty or sickeningly sweet. I can tell I'm getting back there because I ate at the chinese buffet yesterday, and EVERYTHING tasted of sugar.

I think it also helps (me, anyway) to watch things like Fat Head and remind myself what that tasty garlic bread (or biscuit, or carrot cake) is *really* doing to me, and why I do *not* need to eat sugar, ever. Just because you like certain foods doesn't mean you should eat them. I like smoking, too, but I know it's bad for me and want to quit again :)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

start planning for February to be the month I cut out grains and sugars, might keep dairy right now, as I think it will be easy to get rid of later.

Honestly, I'd cut sugar first, then worry about the rest later. Sugar (at least to me) is an addictive substance that causes cravings for other c.r.a.p. It takes a good 3 days to get it out of my system, but once it is gone, it's amazing how many other cravings go away as well - breads, chips, crackers. If you can get off sugar, the rest seems to be smooth sailing. And for god sakes, if you get off it, stay off it. It's 10x harder to get back on after you've slipped than to just pass up that one temptation. If you ever learn a lesson from someone else, that's one to take! :drinker:
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I went 110%, but I was coming to paleo from a necessarily gluten-free diet already. I made the change after a year of GF and six months as a vegetarian that left me nearly as sick as gluten did. In a sense, I think it's a lot easier when health issues spur the change - I can barely function because of pain and mental fog unless I eat this.

Honestly, I think you just have to commit and go for it. It takes self-discipline, which is hard, but with each step forward and the longer you eat this way it does get easier. Taking baby steps might be a better approach. If you cut sugar and see what a difference it makes for you, it might be more encouraging then to cut grains or legumes or something like that.

We also tend to focus a lot on what we can't eat with a paleo or primal diet, but another good step is to focus on bringing more of the foods you can eat into your diet. Up your veggies or focus on better fat sources. That can help too!

Regarding books and blogs: there are quite a few threads in this group about just that subject that shouldn't be too hard to dig up.
  • bonnieellison96
    bonnieellison96 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did it all at once, just because I have no concept of moderation...the second I "cheat" with pasta or something, I'm going to eat 3 plates of it and want more carbs an hour later. I had a hard time with withdrawal, it's so embarrassing, but I literally cried because I wanted sugar so bad lol. A lot of people have better success doing it slowly, (www.nerdfitness.com has a great article about it!), like not buying milk 1 week, replacing your dinner grain with a veggie the next, and so on, baby steps. Whatever works for you! =)
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was NOT planning ahead. I had decided to go adult-beverage-free for one month starting January 2nd because I was becoming wary of the increase in my daily alcohol consumption. I knew that that would be a big hurdle. When I woke up on the 2nd, I decided on the spot to also eliminate dairy, wheat and processed sugar products; I ended up eliminating almost all grains, processed foods and dairy. Just promised myself for one month. 23 days in and my only non-paleo food has been a Kashi granola bar for week day breakfasts and some garbanzo beans on my lunch salad. At the one-month mark, I figure I'll re-evaluate so I'm not looking too far ahead and setting myself up for failure.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I take 2 steps forward and 1 step back quite often, but I'm far closer to being 100% then I was a month ago. Sugar is my only struggling point. I have to be gluten/corn/peanut free, and giving up rice/beans was no big deal. I also have to be mostly dairy free, I can only handle a very small amount and don't miss it at all.

But it gets easier and easier every day. I find now if I have a day where I eat non-paleo and induldge my sweet tooth, I feel horrible that day, and usually the next day. Its easy to remember that feeling and hold onto it for the next time I decide I *have* to have a chocolate bar or a Pepsi.
  • each_day_stronger
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom! still feeling a little overwhelmed, but feeling MUCH more hopeful just hearing how many folks are doing it :) thanks again!
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    Options
    On Thanksgiving, I read through a lot of the Bulletproof Exec blog, which recommends eating a stricter form of Paleo. I kept seeing this word Paleo and vaguely knew it meant "eat like a caveman," but had no idea what it really entailed. So over the next week I read tons about Paleo online and everything made perfect sense. It took me about another week to kick the daily cereal for breakfast/turkey sandwich for lunch, but I did.

In some ways, I've been working my way towards Paleo for a while, in that I rarely to never ate junk food/fast food/etc, didn't have a sweet tooth, but I fully believed whole grains were good and would refuse to eat any standard supermarket bread (usually containing HFCS and worse), instead going for the more expensive sprouted grains loaf. If I hadn't stumbled upon those blogs, I would never have known whole grains were not all they were cracked up to be. How could I? The propaganda is so wide-spread. It never would have occurred to me that my super-healthy whole sprouted grains wheat bread and daily apple were the causes of my blood sugar fluctuations.

I'm doing Whole30 right now, to see if dairy is having a negative effect on me, and I'm kind of looking forward to cheating at the end of it, as an experiment to see if a slice of fresh (delicious) Italian bread makes me feel like crap. I still want foods like that. I was obsessed with bread and bread-like things even though I wouldn't allow myself to eat very much, and do miss my daily bowl of cereal, but I don't have crazy cravings. And my blood sugar "issues" appear to be fully resolved.

I jumped in fairly quickly and DEFINITELY felt overwhelmed at first, and I'm still figuring it all out. You should take it slow. Make small changes in the right direction and before you know it you'll be 80% Paleo, or whatever your goal is. The more you read about how bad typical SAD foods are for you, the easier it will be to stop eating them. Good luck!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I read and got educated first and it freakin made sense! I said to my hubby I'm going to start eating a paleo diet one night and the next day I started and haven't looked back! My hubby used to tell me to stop waiting for an event to make changes ! So last year was all about going for changes and not waiting! I went 100 percent and still try to maintain that to the best of my abilities!

Can you eat this way? Most definitely! You have to know you can and will once you decide it is what you want to do! We can give you tips and advice for you to try but it won't mean a damn thing unless you get on board mentally! You can do it if you want to! Go for it!!!