How long should Stronglifts take?

Options
osualex
osualex Posts: 409 Member
I started Stronglifts today with Workout A, which is 5x5 squats, bench press, and barbell rows. I completed all my sets but didn't take as long of a rest as the app suggested (usually I just took 30-60 seconds) and I finished in maybe 20-25 minutes. Is that normal or should I have taken longer? It felt like a good workout but it was so quick!

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. As you go up in weight you'll do more warm-up sets and need to take a little longer rest between sets.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 35-40 minutes.....unless I need longer rest periods, then it can take 45-50 minutes. When I do a deload week, I can easily be done in 25 minutes.

As the weights go up, you'll need more rest (as sjohnny already said!).
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten the answers you need, but check out the group on MFP for women doing Stronglifts. I just found it today. It seem to have a lot of information for lifters. Good luck - sounds like you're off to a great start!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten the answers you need, but check out the group on MFP for women doing Stronglifts. I just found it today. It seem to have a lot of information for lifters. Good luck - sounds like you're off to a great start!

^^this is a good idea. The groups can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5542-stronglifts-5x5
  • osualex
    Options
    thanks all! just joined the stronglifts for women group!
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What are the warm up sets supposed to look like?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    All told, it should take about 45-60 minutes including warmup sets. You're not skipping your warmup sets are you?

The sessions may be quicker at the very beginning as the weight will be pretty light relative to your ability.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Totally normal in the beginning. (And yeah, I had the same thought when I started.) That will change as you progress in weight.
  • osualex
    Options
    All told, it should take about 45-60 minutes including warmup sets. You're not skipping your warmup sets are you?

The sessions may be quicker at the very beginning as the weight will be pretty light relative to your ability.

No, no warm up sets, I didn't read anything about that in this program?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Stuff like this is exactly why StrongLifts is inferior to Starting Strength. People seem to go straight to the formula and miss the details, the whys, and the hows. But I digress.

You have to warm up. Start with the empty bar. Do 3-4 warmup sets before your working sets.

http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Stuff like this is exactly why StrongLifts is inferior to Starting Strength. People seem to go straight to the formula and miss the details, the whys, and the hows. But I digress.

You have to warm up. Start with the empty bar. Do 3-4 warmup sets before your working sets.

http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/

For the first several workouts your working weight is the empty bar or only a little heavier so your 3-4 sets with the empty bar are most of your working sets anyway.

But other than those few introductory workouts, yeah, do some warm up sets. It says so on the program's website.