Dumbbell shoulder press - stage 1

Options
rachietuk
rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
I upped my weight today - I went for 10lb to 15lb. I could only manage 9 lifts instead of 12. I am going to try again with the same weight next time, hopefully I will be able to do more.

I really am a weak girlie!!!!!!

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Your'e not weak! You probably just never really trained those muscles before so it's hard. Trust me, I know. I managed not much more than your weight last night and was absolutely dying and making terrible faces for the last 3-4 reps.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Terrible faces - I do a kind of Elvis, one sided lip curl/snarl. I'm sure I look crazy.
    I am scared some grunts and noises are going to escape too!!!!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Haha. I'm sure sooner or later a little grunt will sneak out!
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am right with you on this one! My muscles there are weak. I am almost finished Phase 1 and the last two workouts are 3 sets of 8 reps. I used 17.8lbs and that was HARD, but 12.8lbs is too light for 8 reps and I can only increase by 5. So I make do with 17.8. That 5lbs makes a difference!! Grr!
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Good for you for going to a heavier weight and challenging yourself! That will definitely make you stronger! I did light weights the first time through to get used to the exercises but I'll be picking up the 15 pounders for the shoulder press next time!!
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was only able to do 10 lbs and it was really tough! I used to have such strong upper body strength, so it's a bit discouraging. I'm doing my second 1B workout tomorrow, so hopefully I can kick it up a notch!
  • bec30
    bec30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with the rest of you! We gotta start somewhere, and my somewhere is 10 lb DBs :) I think going to 15 right now will be too much for me...
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. Went from 10lbs to 15lbs and it was incredibly hard. Managed 12 on good form and the final three - well, let's just say I did it although the form wasn't good. Hopefully stronger next time!
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know I"m late responding...but you just don't put the words "only" with the pounds....... we all have to start somewhere! You are doing a great job!