Protein intake

Options
How do you get enough protein in with out the shakes. I'm already sick of them. :sick:

Replies

• Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, egg white omelettes, protein bars, make pancakes out of the protein powder and eat with sugar free syrup. And if you have the money for it you can buy protein candies, jellos and even ketchup!
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Be creative with your shakes...proteins 1st at every meal
  • jamers1949
    Options
    Try yogurt that is low in sugar,Cottage and or Ricotta cheese .Try Nova lox salmon [cold smoked]
    Check out Bariatric foodie on line also for yummy stuff. I hope this is helpful .Oh, add some cinnamon or nutmeg to protein shakes or add coffee.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have no problem getting in protein, not really sure why people spend so much $ on shakes etc. Personally, I would always rather chew my protein/calories than drink it!) I aim for 15 - 20 grams a meal, as my doctor recommends 60 - 75 a day. Don't want too much more than that or it is difficult for your body to handle. I have Greek yogurt almost every breakfast, and that alone is close to 20. (get plain non fat and doctor it up yourself or you are adding unneeded sugar). Lunch always includes chicken breast in a salad or equivalent. (3 oz chicken is over 20 grams). Dinner similar with protein first, sides of veggies. Good luck to you!
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I make sure to have 2 shakes a day. I just play with them.
    Before surgery, I LOVED iced coffees. Sweet sweet, iced coffees. Now I have 1 cup of coffee split between 2 shakes during the day. I add a tad unsweetened almond milk, vanilla protein powder, and ice and voila! Not a bad iced coffee. Sometimes I put cinnamon and nutmeg in it. Other times I use sugar free flavored syrups. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of low fat whip cream to the top and sprinkle that will cinnamon and splenda.
    I also LOVE fat free greek yogurt blended with fruits, half a serving of 15 calorie lemonade, sugar free popsicles, etc... whatever I'm craving at the moment.
    I also use unflavored protein powder in foods that I eat with sauces. I don't always use an entire scoop, but just using a bit here and there really adds up to help you get in your needed amount.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: take a look at my diary i never have them and normally hit 90g a day!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how far out you are or where your diet is now...but greek yogurt and cottage cheese are great ways to add protein. Also, play with your shakes. I have learned to make some that are so good even my hubby likes to drink them. I am at the point now where I eat most of my protein and usually only have shakes when I have a hard workout or I just havent eaten enough. With food I stick to a lot of greek yogurt and fish and shrimp are pretty high in protein and tend to go down really easily. My doc is happy with 80-100gm protein a day when working out and I have no trouble getting that most of the time.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Depending on how far out you are, try shrimp or other seafood. It's soft, I digest it easily, but some people may not, and it's a great protein boost. I typically have shrimp cocktail made with cocktail sauce and greek yogurt and a dash of Old Bay seasoning. I also do deli turkey slices rolled with low-fat provolone cheese. Love these!

Oh, and I am six weeks out. :happy:
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    I discovered I can eat shrimp Yay! I'll try the meat roll ups. Thanks!:happy: