Questions About Butter

Options
Next step on my quest for health and fitness is figuring out butters and oils. Now that my wife and I have completely eliminated margarine from the house, it seems the next step is to make sure that our butter is the best choice. So, a few questions

1. Do you use grass fed, organic, or just whatever brand is handy?
2. If you do insist on grass fed or organic, how come?
3. Have you noticed any impact?

thanks!

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My preferences:
    Bacon grease (eggs, some meats)
    Ghee (clarified butter - cooks well at higher temps; won't burn like regular butter) (anything where I want a little more buttery taste)
    Regular butter (mostly baking these days; sometimes to butter vegetables after cooking)
    Kerry gold herbed butter (veggies, occassionally eggs)

The ghee I buy is organic (Purity Farms is the brand), although that's not something that's a buying factor for me. It's just the only one brand Ive found at the grocery store.
    Kerry gold is made from grass fed cows (I just like the taste)
    Our regular butter is store brand
    We have a bacon grease keeper and drain off the fat when we make a batch of bacon.

I haven't gotten into coconut oils.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I've read that grass fed butter has omega-3's, which grain fed butter does not. And that the taste, as you point out, is superior also.

Anybody else?
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I use Kerrygold. Mainly due to the taste and it's one of very few butters in the supermarkets which isn't lower fat or had oils added to make it more spreadable.