Candida and food allergies

Options
peggymoney
peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
i have had issues most my life with allergies, both food and environmental. These last three years my food allergies have been out of control. My doctor put me on Diflucan and a low sugar diet (it's in everything!!!!)
I keep having intense cravings and failing at the no sugar part.
Any helpful hints?

In particular my major issue is that I am develping food sensitivies towards everything I am eating. I have consistant rashes and welts on my legs and hands, mainly. A food allergy test was done two and a half yrs ago and it found: celery, cucumbers, broccoli, bananas, cabbage, coffee, soy, oats, pinto beans, green beans, lima beans, tuna, shrimp....there is more but you get the drift. No real food allergies (no peanut, dairy, gluen intolerance)...Makes no sense and we've attributed it to sugar and candida.

Any support, information, motivation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Peggy

Replies

• NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Welcome peggymoney and anyone else who's new here.

I'm happy to trade support on this issue. I fell off the no sugar wagon myself over the holidays and I have 10 new pounds and achey joints to show for it so I am officially back on the wagon.

I find the sugar cravings do go away after awhile but they can be intense until they subside. Hang in there! For me it's motivational that when I quit sugar the weight falls off and my joints feel so much better.

Glad to see folks here, I would love to see this group become more active but not sure how to make that happen.. I'm open to suggestions. :)
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think people underestimate candida and the syptoms it produces. It's very hard to bring up the topic without people just thinking "yeast infection"!
    I've done a lot of studying on the subject, just can't follow the diet. :( It's too intense!
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    It's subtle too, it's not like you go off sugars and suddenly feel like super woman but over time.. it does have a huge impact on how you feel. I've found it not too hard to stick to, lots of lean meats, eggs, and raw and cooked veggies.. with butter.. and nuts off the approved list.. and sprouted bread and occasional low glycemic fruit. All of which I find very satisfying. My biggest cheat item on the dietary plan is wine lol.
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    Another thought I have. If you find the diet too "intense" why not just try incorporating a meal that fits on the plan that you find good say once a month.. and then over time you could increase that until you're eating on plan a bit more. I've found that even when I'm not perfect (which can be often) if I only eat on plan *some* of the time I come out way ahead. Seems that way to me anyway.
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I've never really shaken my candida. I've tried diflucan, nystatin, and itraconazole (very heavy stuff) and unfortunately the candida keeps coming back or really never goes away. I can't quite get down to no/low sugar as there are natural sugars in a lot of healthy foods that I eat so I just stay away from anything where sugar has been added. I do know that if I take in sugar like eating a piece of cake, cookie, etc. I will end up gaining 5 to 10 lbs that night. It is pretty weird.

I have a similar allergy list as you do and it becomes quite a pain to deal with. I went on a rotation diet for a while. As of now I just try to avoid anything that I am allergic to. Personally I would stay away from the glutens. I tend to blow up really big if I have any.

You might want to see if you're allergic to any soap. lotion, etc. I learned that I'm allergic to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (trial and error) which is found in many soaps/shampoos/toothpaste. I switched to some natural soap and don't have as many of the rashes and irritations that I used to have.

Unfortunately, I'm on some pretty strong antibiotics to knock out a nasty bug that I am dealing with. Once I'm off them, I will go toe to toe with trying to knock out Candida again. Good luck in your hunt to knocking out Candida!
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options