I AM "anti-religion".............so what?

Options
I often note ppl
who seem to back away from the words "anti-religion".........as if that is a "bad" thing to be.

"No, i am an atheist, but no, i am not "anti-religion"
i just don't like organized religions impact on suppressing science and education and freedoms" etc etc.

sometimes i suspect, there is such a pervasive mentality that religion is "good" :laugh:
that being "against" it, might indicate the person who IS against it, is somehow "bad".........but, i could be wrong on this guess.
:laugh: :wink:
and true enough,
those words, "anti-religion" might NOT describe at all how anyone but me feels about religion.:smile: There could be atheists who are all for religion, and feel religion is a very "good" thing.

but for me,
put me down as officially "anti-religion".
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :smile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :happy:
this does not mean i am hateful, or obnoxious, or violent, or not a peaceful person.
I just very much disapprove of religions, in so so many ways,
for so so so many reasons.

I do not bring this up when someone discusses their religion, occasionally i will discuss what the other person has brought up, but, usually not cuz theists go so ballistic if you challenge them to consider the logic of their own beliefs in any depth.
i do not go around trying to talk ppl out of their gods,
but i am against religion
and am an activist against any further encroachment of religion into my govt.
I am a nurse,
i have attended many deaths,
i have supported theists as they die, they never even knew i am atheist. :wink: I have even helped dying theists, who were afraid they might go to hell cuz they didn't pray enough or go to church enough,(THIS IS VERY COMMON FEAR AMONG DYING THEISTS)
with words like, "Well, you seem like a very love-filled person, who is kind to others....Your family just adores you, you must have done something right there, raising those kids............i'd think if there is a god that such a god must be perfect, and would understand that what is important is how we treat each other
that THAT is a way to spread love in this world, and i'd imagine, that a loving person like you would probably get some kind of a prize for the love and joy you have brought to others. I'd think that has to carry a lot of weight to a perfect god, more than what building you were in at 8am on Sunday." and then offer to call them a preacher or whatever.

I will not lie.
but i can step around religious crapola, especially for my patients.

I will not betray my own lack of belief by ever pretending to be in their boat with them,

I am true to my own self,
and as many times as i've had similar conversations with dying theists,
no one ever ever notices that i am NOT in their boat:wink: ........I step around it. This moment is not about *me* or what *i* think.
but i hate seeing anyone afraid.
Even if they are afraid of something there is zero proof of.
GVJRh.jpg aw ggeez, last frame the devil says, "Seriously, what are they saying about us up there!?"

yet, i am very much against religion........but, in cases like this,
what the person needs, is just a way to cope with the fear of hell that so so many theists really believe is waiting for them if they weren't very religious, yet often otherwise really lovely ppl........so so sad to see it.
They REALLY believe in hell,:noway: and are afraid. :cry: I do what i can to reduce their fear, i call their religious leader to their bedside, to help the person deal with that fear. I am all for PEACEFUL deaths.
yet, i dislike religion,
but can love the PERSON who has been flamboozled by it all.

BUT
I WILL STAND FOR ANYONE'S RIGHT to worship
whatever gods or demons or holy ghosts or whatever they want to worship:bigsmile:
in any way they want to,:bigsmile:
so long as no children are harmed.:explode:
and so long as it is NOT done on tax-payer supported land.:grumble:

but i can very much dislike the religion
and the impact of that religion
on a person
a family
or my govt,:embarassed:
yet still LOVE the person.........i just dislike the religion, not the person.

Atheists are diverse.
No one atheist can speak for any other.
I just wanted to provoke some thought
about understanding what "anti-religion" can mean for at least THIS atheist.

I am anti-religion.
I am anti-racism, anti-sexism, against so so many forms of abuse,
etc etc.

I am anti-religion,
i dislike religion very much. SO WHAT?:laugh: Where is a problem with this?

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    ^I guess my point there,
    is explaining how an atheist nurse helps a dying theist who is afraid of hell
    was only to demonstrate,
    that being "anti-religion"
    does not necessarily mean the person can not just step over religion now and then.

Most adults
    can and do
    find ways to step over things they disagree with
    from time to time,
    whether it's politics or religion or whatever.

Some things i will call out every time that card is layed on the table, like racism, sexism, or abuse of any type,
    which does take a certain amount of moral courage to do, but that is lifelong habit now, cuz i always tried to be an example for my kids, "this is how we do it" when we face something evil----you stand up against it,
    whether it is a quietly stated disagreement, if only to be the only voice there opposing the remark,
    or some other response,
    when evil crapola comes by, stick your foot out and trip it. Stand up against it. *Some* things i will stand up against every time....but religion is not one of those things.

But being "anti-religion"
    should not bring to mind images of a person who objects in a violent way:laugh: ,
    nor should it conjure up images of someone who objects to religion every time they see it.
    Dawg, i'd spend my entire day objecting to everything all day long!! rofl!!
    It's EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: but yeah, i AM "anti-religion":bigsmile: SO WHAT?????
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    btw,
    this thread,
    is sort of in response to other posts on other threads...........

but that "anti-religion" seems to be seen as a "bad" thing by some ppl, which i think should be challenged,
    if it is "bad"
    or if it isn't "bad".

i do not think it is bad. Now rudeness, is a whole other deal, from EITHER side, but i think one CAN oppose irrational influences in our culture,
    our society
    our school system and science textbooks
    our laws and legislation
    our public spaces which are tax-payer supported
    and
    our govt,

without being rude.

and without fear
    of being seen as "bad" by stating, "Oh heck yeah, i am anti-religion, so what?"
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I am anti-religion. I can definitely say that I am anti-faith. I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yep. Me too.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm passively anti-religion. I would prefer people to *want* to not be religious, not do it because I, nor anyone else, said so. So to that end, I guess I realistically don't care about the mere existence of religion so long as science trumps religion in political discussion and the "nones" get adequate representation, which unfortunately is not presently the case. I am not outwardly hostile toward religion, but do tend to scoff mentally any time someone brings up faith, prayer, religion, etc. I don't understand how anyone can follow the evidence and conclude that anything indicates a world that includes any god. The inability to think critically and come to that conclusion usually will take my opinion of a person down a few notches.
  • TMLPatrick
    Options
    .... so in other words.... I agree with you.
  • Songmartine
    Songmartine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm passively anti-religion. I would prefer people to *want* to not be religious, not do it because I, nor anyone else, said so. So to that end, I guess I realistically don't care about the mere existence of religion so long as science trumps religion in political discussion and the "nones" get adequate representation, which unfortunately is not presently the case. I am not outwardly hostile toward religion, but do tend to scoff mentally any time someone brings up faith, prayer, religion, etc. I don't understand how anyone can follow the evidence and conclude that anything indicates a world that includes any god. The inability to think critically and come to that conclusion usually will take my opinion of a person down a few notches.
    This^^^...my family & extended family members have a variety of religious beliefs. My adopted parents are pentecostal, my biological parent is a hearth witch, my adopted sister is Muslim (married into it), my adopted brother is a Baptist. *shakes head* I was raised in that mess. I am so glad that I was able to find the truth and be the logical person I am today, as an athiest.
  • riarachelle
    Options
    i'm anti religion.
  • TMLPatrick
    Options
    This^^^...my family & extended family members have a variety of religious beliefs. My adopted parents are pentecostal, my biological parent is a hearth witch, my adopted sister is Muslim (married into it), my adopted brother is a Baptist. *shakes head* I was raised in that mess. I am so glad that I was able to find the truth and be the logical person I am today, as an athiest.

Hah... that makes my strict Catholic upbringing sound like a walk in the park!
  • Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be part of any religion. It has nothing to offer me - I have good values and a moral code and I'm pretty certain I know what will happen to me after I die (I'm going for the decomposition route...). But I will support the rights of others to have faith if that is what they need. (And with the usual provisos of not harming others or, frankly, lecturing me on stuff). I'm not sure what the situation is like in the States but here in my particular part of the UK issues of religion are often so bound up in issues of ethnicity and race that I would certainly *have* to support people's absolute right to freedom of religion.

Jane
  • Idris42
    Idris42 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is where I am, too.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not... I mean, I'd be glad if religion disappeared one day, but still I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if I find it extremely stupid. I would never try to convert someone, anyway.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot of people are able to compartmentalize, so that they are able to believe in religion in one little box in their minds, and keep that separate from other places in which they apply thinking and logic. It also seems that we do have a genetic component that results in us being able to have pleasurable experiences which some people interpret as being a religious or spiritual experience. And everyone has feelings like that associated with love, relaxation, standing at the top of a mountain or alone beside the ocean, etc. We just don't all attribute meaning to it, beyond that it was simply a wonderful experience.

It does upset me when people do not "believe" in evolution, but really it's just that they have never allowed themselves to learn and fully understand it. They draw up their own set of false "logic" for why they do not believe in it. I admit, I start to feel frustrated. And this extends into other areas as well. I have a hard time when people do not understand science and it influences the state of our world in terms of what gets funded. But, my husband is a physicist working in alternative energy, so I guess I just have an inside eye on that. And then I have to listen to the ignorance of people talking about it and not understanding the science, the reality, the solutions and they have very strong feelings and opinions. I try not to let it bother me.

I agree with what others have said. Each person needs to go through their own process of learning, understanding, thinking, choosing. The human mind is very complex. Maybe some people need religion. Life is tough. But, it mostly seems like a waste of time and energy to me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Ok, one more thing about religion that makes absolutely no sense to me is the way people think that people are going to hell just because they don't believe. This really stumps me. My husband always just smiles and tells me it is because of those beliefs that religion is propagated.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Religion was a very effective tool for controlling the ignorant masses for centuries. Even today, it is the ignorant who cling to that nonsense. I married into a happily ignorant family. They are always on about their fairy man and all the good he has done for them. I make a point of filling my FB page with links to science and atheist arguments.

One relative cheated on his wife, then spent the next year barking about his invisible savior, and how much better he was now that the fairy had forgiven him. Naturally, if a mythical zombie born to a woman who lied about her sexual history could forgive him, his wife surely must. And she did.

So pathetic.

So if you are too weak minded to think on your own, let some bigger fool in a church tell you what to think. If you are guilty, you can 'find god' and expect the mindless followers of that mythology to forgive all your crap. And that's just the christians. heh

I have yet to meet the pagan who was not on some power trip, or just doing it to piss off mom and dad. A few of them actually believe that lighting a candle and chanting at the moon will make them any more powerful in their dead end jobs than the next barrista or used book store clerk.

I don't doubt for a second that religions which prohibit certain foods on certain days where begun by people who just didn't happen to like that food. "Ewww, this steak is a wierd color and is giving me a stomach ache..." becomes "Cows are sacred- you cannot eat them!"

One religion I do have some small respect for is Buddhism. It's not really a religion so much as a state of mind. Sure, some actually believe the silly reincarnation bit, but for the most part it is just exercise. Sit in this position and breathe this way, and you will clear your head. Psychiatrists do much the same thing with a couch. It also gave us yoga, which brings us back around to the point of these boards.

TL;DR- I am also vocally anti-religion, except perhaps for Buddhism, because yoga is a great way to stretch.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    There are a lot of Buddhists that are atheists.

Thich Nhat Hanh does not believe in reincarnation, God, souls, or an after life.

The Dalai Lama wrote a book called "Beyond Religion"

The Secular Buddhist

Yoga Brains is a web site of articles by Atheist Yogis (some friends of mine as well)

Stephen Batchelor wrote a wonderful book about his experience called "Confession of a Buddhist Atheist"

Many other Vipassana meditation teachers are Atheist or at least compatible with that (as I can not say for certain if they are atheists or not). Jack Kornfield, Sharen Salzberg, Joseph Goldstein, Pema Chodron

Lots of scientists meditate and there are mental and emotional health benefits from it. Sam Harris talks about it (as one example).

There is also a group on Facebook called Atheist Meditation.

Those are just the ones I can think of, off the top of my head.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I agree that being anti-religion is not a bad thing at all. I think the stigma comes because people see "anti-religion" and automatically assume that we are then "anti-religious-people". Which for me at least is not the case at all.

My parents are both Lutheran. But they, I think, do religion the "right" way if you could say that such a thing exists. They don't shove their beliefs down others' throats, they don't let it guide their moral compass to any great extent, and they don't let it dictate other aspects of their lives like politics or stances on social issues.

And I know plenty of other people like that. People who have a private relationship with their god that they socialize about with others who hold a similar faith once a week.

So, while I would prefer to see a world with no religion, that's probably not an option. So I hold my own values of anti-religiousness but I can separate that from individuals so long as they are not all up in my face.