Chicken Noodle Soup

Options
cristieg
cristieg Posts: 31 Member
Last night I made the chicken noodle soup from the book. I did it a little different than it says to, but it turned out sooooo good! I think this one will be a keeper!

I didn't cook the noodles ahead of time, I just threw them in when I added the chicken & veggie broth. I also picked up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store for my boyfriend's dinner. So, I just used 1 1/2 cups of the breast meat (no skin) for my soup. Easy peasy.

Here it is with my changes.

1/2 to 1 T butter, margarine, etc.
1/2 c chopped celery
1/2 c chopped onion
3/4 c sliced baby carrots
1 1/2 c diced chicken
4 c reduced sodium chicken broth
4 c reduced sodium vegetable broth
1 c water
1 1/2 c egg noodles (I used no yolk, extra broad)
Basil, oregano, parsley, garlic and black pepper to taste (about 1tsp each)

Melt butter, cook onions and celery until just tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer about 15-20 minutes. I portioned made into nine 1-cup servings.

MFP calculated the stats for 9 servings to be:
Calories: 87
Carbs: 9
Fat: 1
Protein: 10
Sodium: 348
Fiber: 1

6 servings (1.5 c each) would be as follows:
Calories: 131
Carbs: 14
Fat: 2
Protein: 15
Sodium: 522 (a little high, but you could probably get it under 480 by subbing some of the chicken broth for water)
Fiber: 2

19112_520371298007364_1444174751_n_zps9858a2b1.jpg

Replies

• sbwdogz3
    Options
    are you only allowed one cup for dinner? I would be starving....I'm waiting to get my book, so I'm not quite sure how the diet works yet...
  • cristieg
    Options
    I'm on Week 3. This is a tough week of mostly liquid meals under 200 calories each. The serving size for this soup is 1-1.5 cups. I just chose to keep mine at 1 cup.

Last night I was allowed to have 1 fruit smoothie (under 200 cal), 1 bowl of soup (under 200 cal) and 1 fruit or veggie. I wasn't hungry enough to eat the apple that I set aside as my fruit. Week 1 & 2 are pretty easy and set you up for week 3.
  • sbwdogz3
    Options
    are you happy with the results you are getting? how much did you lose the first week? my book will hopefully come today...tomorrow at the latest....can't wait!
  • cristieg
    Options
    I'm very pleased! I lost 4 pounds on Week 1. I skipped my Week 2 weigh in because I ate off plan the night before and felt very bloated. I didn't want to get discouraged with the number on the scale. But, I did take my measurements and saw improvement there. You should take your measurements like he recommends, it's very helpful!
  • sbwdogz3
    Options
    wow, that's great!!! your posts seem very encouraging...just hoping I can stick with it!!!
  • michele73
    michele73 Posts: 102
    Options
    That chicken soup got me through week 3. It is so good and I didn't even add the noodles. Can't wait to make it again, but this week I chose to make lentil soup to switch it up.
  • pishicat
    pishicat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That chicken soup got me through week 3. It is so good and I didn't even add the noodles. Can't wait to make it again, but this week I chose to make lentil soup to switch it up.

How did you make the lentil soup?
  • michele73
    Options
    Look up "Lentil soup by marie" on allrecipes.com. There is a recipe in the book but I used the recipe that I have been making for a long time.
  • dld71084
    Options
    I start week 3 on Monday. I hope I don't get to tired of soups. Notice on week 3 day 4 for dinner I get to have real food again. Are the first 3 days the hardest.
  • michele73
    Options
    It depends! for me I was going crazing on day 6. I had had enough by then. Day seven is hopeful because you know it's over by night time. Ha! I tried to make my vegetable that i had with my soup in creative way so that it would be more exciting. One day sauteed brocoli using olive oil spray and lots of garlic and pepper.
    I start week 3 on Monday. I hope I don't get to tired of soups. Notice on week 3 day 4 for dinner I get to have real food again. Are the first 3 days the hardest.