Magnesium supplements

Options
BigGuy47
BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
I'm going to test out taking magnesium supplements for a couple of weeks.

From what I've read it can help with sleep, improves protein synthesis to help with muscle recovery and can help control blood sugar. Supposedly diabetics may be deficient in magnesium. My blood sugar is currently under control (diet/exercise), but I often don't sleep well and have routinely muscle soreness from training. Melatonin helps but doesn't keep me asleep all night.

Curious if anyone else has tried Magnesium supplements.

Replies

• Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Watch the melatonin. It increases blood sugar.

I just started on Magnesium a bit ago.. I'm not sure I've been taking it long enough to see the effects, yet. Also, there has been a lot of change in the last 2 weeks, so I'm not sure if I'd notice anyway. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about magnesium and diabetes, too.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I’ll be watching also. I’m reading Diabetic’s Handbook by Thomas Nelson, and he recommends magnesium. He states that magnesium has in interdependence on Vitamins C and D, phosphorous, calcium, potassium and Vitamin B6m meaning they are needed in order to be absorbed, stored or function.

Why is it never simple?
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Just a comment on Melatonin; Gentyl is absolutely correct... Watch the Melatonin. It has been shown to raise blood sugar. My experiance has been my fasting numbers are uusally between 94 -104. I was having trouble sleeping few weeks ago so I took Melatonin, which helped me sleep, but next morning I tested fasting numberand it was 118!!! Yikes, I have never seen that high before. The highest I have had ever was twice a reading of 108 from the lab over 5 years. My reading today was 99. So again, be careful with Melatonin. Taken to often will most assurdely increase fasting numbers.

Good luck
  • reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There in a stream on the lower carb forum under diabete that I recall reading. It quoted a study which showed a clear link between magnesium and lower blood sugars. I will see if I can find it. What dosage of supplements are people taking or planning to take? I am also very interested in this.
  • BigGuy47
    Options
    I'm taking 400mg a day, before bed time. There are many different types of Magnesium; Chelate, Oxide, Taurate, Orotate, Citrate and others. The supplement I'm using contains a combination of aspartate and citrate, it's supposed to be absorbed well.

Regarding melotonin, I read a post here a while ago that mentioned the link between melatonin and elevated blood glucose. That's what lead me to look for alternatives. It's only day 2 of the magnesium experiment and so far I'm not sold on the sleep aid benefits . It's 2AM, I should be sleeping.
  • CRody44
    Options
    BG,
    How is your sleep pattern going? . I started taking 400 mg yesterday and, although I still woke at 2 am to hit the head, I fell back to sleep for a few more hours.
  • BigGuy47
    Options
    I slept pretty well. I only did this for 2 days and then had some intestinal discomfort. Don't know if it was related to the magnesium or I got a hold of the bug that's been going around. Took a break from the magnesium for a week. I'll try again this week and see what happens.
  • CRody44
    Options
    I have been taking 400 mgs for five days now. Three days I slept until 4 or 5 (good for me) but two mornings I woke at 1 or 2 and couldn’t get back to sleep. One thing that I have noticed is that I don’t wake up to go to the bathroom. Even if I get up at 5, I don’t feel the need to “go.”
  • musicmuse58
    Options
    thanks for the tip! I am going to try this. I know magnesium has been proven helpful in preventing diabetes, but I was not aware of the benefits of taking it when you have diabetes. I will keep you posted.
  • seakittyfish
    seakittyfish Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been taking 500mg of Magnesium a day for several years. If I forget to take it for more than 3 days or so in a row, my nerve pain starts up and I quickly head for the magnesium bottle and start taking it again to make the nerves calm down. I have read there are more benefits like helping sleeping problems and lowering BG but I don't notice the help in those areas as clearly as the help in the pain area. I have had problems sleeping for many years and a lot if it was due to the nerve pains keeping me awake. In that sense the magnesium has helped me sleep better.