low carb and working out

Options
shaymonieq
shaymonieq Posts: 22 Member
Hello

I just started the low carb lifestyle. I know when you workout you can eat calories back but do you get carbs back?:ohwell:

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that too!
  • rdcphone572
    rdcphone572 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you enter your exercise, I have noticed that the diary adjusts everything up a bit including carbs. I do not know if that is good or bad. I try not to depend on that and try to just focus on the carbs not the calories. My goal is the carbs. Good luck on the journey!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat more carbs on days I exercise.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're really heavy on the cardio, you may see that you get fatigued, but I am no doctor. Anyway, I would say it's your body - if you feel you need the extra carbs before working out and it keeps you in ketosis and you lose weight and it works for you - do it! I used to eat sweet potato once in awhile before working out. It's all about trying new things on your diet and tweaking it to fit your body's needs :)
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    I agree with mstorvik, if your routine is intense, you may need the extra carbs. Just listen to your body.

I do want to add that during the first week or so on low carbs, you may feel fatigued even without exercising, That is normal and will pass. Personally, I did no exercise the first 2 weeks just so my body could adjust (and I did get the "low carb flu") and once it passed, I was able to listen to my body when it came to exercise.

Best wishes!
  • shaymonieq
    shaymonieq Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone this helps a lot did anyone else have headaches at first as well
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The carb flu can definitely include headaches! Your body is probably craving all that nasty carby sugary stuff! Did you also give up/reduce caffeine by chance? That could definitely cause headaches also.

Regarding exercise/increased carbs, when your exercise calories are added back in, all categories increase proportionally (carbs, fat, protein, etc.). I generally ignore the increase in the carbs. I actually feel better without the carbs and don't have problems running out of steam with exercise. I do keep a protein bar handy in case that did happen, but so far it hasn't.

Good luck!
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Your body is going through withdrawal...detoxing...so you may experience many unpleasant side effects as your body resets itself. Hang in there! It will pass and when it does you will feel amazing. Here are two great articles on it http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-flu/#axzz2J5tDQlGQ. http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/getting-through-the-atkins-induction-flu/1186