Can we talk about carbs again?

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
So, I have noticed over my time logging what I eat, that I don't get a whole lot of satiety from just protein/fat. And I DO get a lot of satiety (lasting too) from starchy carbs. This does not seem to align with other people's experiences. It is also seemingly NOT volume related. It is slightly calorie related, sort of, in the sense that I get bored of eating any particular food in large quantities so adding a carb in at the end of a meal does tend to add another 150+ calories but caloric intake doesn't otherwise seem to correlate with fullness for me. Longevity of fullness yes but the immediate sensation, not really - a 650 cal veggie pasta and chicken dish leaves me feeling stuffed, an 850 calorie steak and eggs with fruit doesn't do much for me til I add toast or hash browns. Or like - today at lunch I replaced my usual side of fruit with a muffin and I was like "OH GOD SO FULL I MIGHT DIIEEE" afterwards. The fruit is a little less voluminous, I suppose, but I mean not ...THAT much less.

I am not ULTRA concerned about this, as its not a huge deal to have some of both (well, as long as I can cut slowly at 2100, if I have to drop my cals its going to be a bigger issue), but I am curious as to whether this is as abnormal as it seems to be? Is everyone on MFP just lying to themselves when they say "oh my eggs and bacon and cheese are so much more filling and satisfying that french toast and last me so much longer!" -- because I don't get that at ALL. I doubt I'd feel good spooning pure sugar into my mouth or anything, but a meal that's more carb and less protein will make me feel fuller both immediately and longer, and overall happier as well. Also I have started liking carbs a little more than I used to but I am willing to attribute that to being active (when I was fat and inactive I had very little interest in bread or muffins, now I see a muffin and I am like "OH GOD A MUFFIN GET INSIDE MY MOUTH IMMEDIATELY")

Am I defective?

Replies

• crash1967
    Options
    I eat less.than 50gm of carbs a day and never get hungry. I am on a strict keto diet; 65% fat, 30% pro, and 5 carbs. Most of mat comes from coconut oil and love it. I dont have an issue eating the same thing over and over as food does not equal entertainment for me so i think that makes a big difference. Also, my body is verh adjusted to this diet and that took a few weeks to get to.

By keto i mean no pasta, no grains, no sugar, no root crops....when i ate that stuff i was way hungrier and had less sustained energy. My energy levels are constant. I do take suppliments including potassium as its hard to get on this diet and i do keep sodium intake up as well.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I eat less.than 50gm of carbs a day and never get hungry. I am on a strict keto diet; 65% fat, 30% pro, and 5 carbs. Most of mat comes from coconut oil and love it. I dont have an issue eating the same thing over and over as food does not equal entertainment for me so i think that makes a big difference. Also, my body is verh adjusted to this diet and that took a few weeks to get to.

By keto i mean no pasta, no grains, no sugar, no root crops....when i ate that stuff i was way hungrier and had less sustained energy. My energy levels are constant. I do take suppliments including potassium as its hard to get on this diet and i do keep sodium intake up as well.

I'm glad this approach works for you but I don't recommend it for the OP. I know you're just sharing your experience here and I don't have an issue with that.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tameko: satiety is an individual thing.

White potatoes are typically VERY high in satiety, but again that's individual. I wouldn't be too concerned about starchy vs non starchy carbs assuming your macros are set properly and micronutrient needs are net.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me. As Sidesteel says satiation is a very individual thing and is not always about volume or even macros.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I feel more satisfied if I include carbs.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't think what you're experiencing is uncommon at all.

For one, people that start low carb diets are often moving from a diet that contained inadequate protein. So they're comparing the satiety level of their old protein-deficient diet to their new protein-adequate diet.

Also, I think people that do low carb diets tend to be more vocal about how much their meals fill them up. I have personally always found that a meal with a balance to macros fills me up more than anything. I feel the same way you do, carbless meals suck.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It's all about preference.

Just want to ad that I am one of those people who don't need starchy carbs to be full.
    For example for lunch I have 4 times a week baked chicken breast with side of veggies (3-4 portions) and some rice/potato.
    If I am on a cut I will skip the rice/potato and i do not feel more hungry.
    I think that is because my lunch volume wise is hugee
    (10oz chicken breast, 4 portions of vegs and often big (like 3 portions big) apple).
    I get most of my carbs in snacks, drinks and candy.
    (Note: now I have carbs with every meal as I'm not cutting and I wouldn't hit my TDEE without them).

On the other hand I never feel full after protein shake, I don't care how much protein it has, it's not food, it does not make me any less hungry :)
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    I'm also another vote carb satiety over just protein. Not only do they leave feeling fuller but they damn near knock me out. I get very tired and sleepy after a high carb meal.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm only a couple of days in on a higher protein plan. The first day was awful. I felt overly stuffed and totally lethargic. I wanted to go home and sleep, not workout. The next day my energy level was better, and I felt hungry rather than stuffed. Today feels back to normal :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is it stomach grumbling like you are really hungry and it feels empty, or possibly low blood sugar which makes you feel hungry too?

Always an interesting test if you over-react to carbs eaten, or spikes of insulin - if you eat a bagel first thing in the morning for breakfast by itself, do you get tired in 30-40 min, or faster? And then possibly very hungry?

While a healthy person likely wouldn't have problems, the fact weight needs to be lost many times means it's not a healthy body being dealt with, besides the weight.

Several have noticed eating the protein and fat before the carbs in any snack or meal makes a difference.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Starch carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta, corn) make me fill full longer. Simple carbs like veggies and sweets don't make me feel full. For me fats are also filling while protein seems neutral, it fills me up but not as much as a starch. I think this is why I like the IIFYM type of nutrition plan. I can have my potato and eat it too. :happy:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Is it stomach grumbling like you are really hungry and it feels empty, or possibly low blood sugar which makes you feel hungry too?

Always an interesting test if you over-react to carbs eaten, or spikes of insulin - if you eat a bagel first thing in the morning for breakfast by itself, do you get tired in 30-40 min, or faster? And then possibly very hungry?

While a healthy person likely wouldn't have problems, the fact weight needs to be lost many times means it's not a healthy body being dealt with, besides the weight.

Several have noticed eating the protein and fat before the carbs in any snack or meal makes a difference.

O_o was this...directed to me?
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Starchy carbs are a must. I get too HANGRY without them, and that's not worth it to me. I'd rather have my 50% of carbs in my diet, feel happy and fuller longer and lose weight slower. But then again my whole life I've been the kind of person that can't go more than like 6 hrs during the day without eating because I feel my blood sugar drop and I get all sleepy and grumpy...so... Yeah.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I find I need some kind of carb or I feel a bit funny if I'm having a busy morning. If I know I'm going to be lugging stuff about I will always have a slice of toast and or a nana with my usual variation of eggsandsummat for breakfast. On the days when I have had a eggs/bacon tomato brekkie and no toast I'm damn hungry by the time I have something at 11ish.

Weirdly - If I have a 'high carb' brekkie (porridge or similar) I fell empty even sooner, so its about balance and what works for you, I guess.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I personally feel better with protein and fats than carbs but I still eat 200-300g of carbs a day, so maybe I don't notice, lol. In all reality, if you want to be carb heavy, you can be. As long as you still get adequate protein and fit within your calorie goals, you will lose weight. The carbs will just add a few lbs of water weight.