Chik-fil-A Hate

Options

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Huh. I suppose *technically* it's off-topic? I wonder if the people who posted bigoted comments later in the thread received similar letters.
  • Blogmarkblog
    Blogmarkblog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here is my reply back to Olivia:

To: Olivia
    Sent: Wed 01/23/13 09:19 PM
    Subject: Re: Please make sure to follow the forum rules
    I'm afraid I'm new here and do not understand my violation. My intent was to inform people about a topic that is very important to me. I find the actions of that restaurant chain, Chik fil A, to be very offensive. The posting i commented on was basically a commercial supporting it. I felt My posting was respectful, polite, on topic, and I did not intend to invite any drama. I find your message to me odd and disturbing. I feel I am being censored because I spoke out on behalf of my civil rights.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I got a message from Olivia -- a MFP Community Manager-- alerting me that my original message on the Food board responding to the people raving over how wonderful Chik-fil-A is, was a violation of the policy. I love how she signs it, "Peace." See below:

Received: Wed 01/23/13 08:03 PM
    Subject: Please make sure to follow the forum rules
    Hello,

Thank you for participating in the MFP Community! I am writing to let you know that you recently made the following forum post which violates MyFitnessPal community guidelines:

QUOTE:

Chick-fil-A profits fund documented hate groups that aggressively work against gay people, advocating for their criminalization, psychological abuse, or death. Chick-fil-A profits come from you. When you choose Chick-fil-A, you help fund hate groups. I'm not a fan. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shane-l-windmeyer/5-simple-facts-about-chick-fil-a_b_1751404.html

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you had posted this as a new topic in the chit chat section, I would not have had the same response.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MFP a supportive, friendly community.

Peace,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager

Ok this makes no sense. She says "If you had posted this as a new topic in the chit chat section, I would not have had the same response". Why would she not have responded to it in the chit chat section but she would in the actual LGBT SECTION????? It is totally related!!!! I gained weight because of the stresses that come along with being who I am. A group of people (chik fil a) is contributing to this by taking away my civil rights! This is totally related to my weight loss journey!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    The post (if I recall) was in the "food and nutrition" section; bluespongerun is just showing us what he posted there...I can't imagine any admins would have the gall to say "you can't post that" here????
  • mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Olivia's comments and action are shameful and transparently homophobic. Her cited reason for deleting your post would seem to be a thin veil for her personal feelings, as you were clearly not "Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting." I note that the post introducing the completely out-of-left-field "anti-christian bigotry" claim is still there, despite Olivia's careful eye.

Even if the KKK baked the best cookies in the word, I wouldn't eat them, much less buy them. Likewise for Chik-fil-A. No matter how good it's supposed to be (for megacorp fast food), I could never get that foul taste of bigotry out of my mouth. And I certainly don't want my money to fund the very things I have worked to overcome.
  • rabbitrage
    rabbitrage Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Uh, hang on. That's really, really not okay of the mod or whoever. A post about your thoughts on Chick-Fill-A in a thread about Chick-Fill-A isn't derailing or trolling. That's totally relevant. You're allowed to disagree, you're allowed your opinion.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I got a message from Olivia -- a MFP Community Manager-- alerting me that my original message on the Food board responding to the people raving over how wonderful Chik-fil-A is, was a violation of the policy. I love how she signs it, "Peace." See below:

Received: Wed 01/23/13 08:03 PM
    Subject: Please make sure to follow the forum rules
    Hello,

Thank you for participating in the MFP Community! I am writing to let you know that you recently made the following forum post which violates MyFitnessPal community guidelines:

QUOTE:

Chick-fil-A profits fund documented hate groups that aggressively work against gay people, advocating for their criminalization, psychological abuse, or death. Chick-fil-A profits come from you. When you choose Chick-fil-A, you help fund hate groups. I'm not a fan. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shane-l-windmeyer/5-simple-facts-about-chick-fil-a_b_1751404.html

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you had posted this as a new topic in the chit chat section, I would not have had the same response.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MFP a supportive, friendly community.

Peace,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager

are you KIDDING?? i turned a body-shaming thread into a cat gif thread yesterday AND copped to that fact when i reported the OP and they didn't say jack squat to me! you were totally respectful and totally on topic. i might fwd that to Steven, in all honesty, b/c he's proven to be an ally in the past and i think Olivia was totally off base.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    The most generous interpretation I can make is that Olivia was just trying to get you to avoid turning a post about food into a post about politics, regardless of how linked they are.

Her attempt is ham-fisted and her justifications are poorly worded, no doubt. Accusing someone, who is already being made a victim of civil rights issues in a larger sense, of hijacking a thread is moronic.

She might as well have said, "Shut up, queer, and only speak when spoken to" but I doubt any of the mods would see it that way.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine got a pretty unfounded warning from olivia yesterday and had a talk with her about it - Olivia admitted that she's new and isn't quite sure of how to enforce what right now, and unfortunately that means she seems to be comign down on the side of being overly aggressive instead of risking being permissive.

Its ok if you want to message her and explain what you felt was wrong about it. She reversed my friends warning and apologized so I think she's just not very good at modding.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    WOW
    Olivia is completely wrong on this topic!!!

When people say that chik fil a has a right to think what they want. sure that's true.

When they DONATE MONEY that goes to kill the gays in Uganda---- and people give them money. Those people are, in essence saying

"I don't care if my money goes to kill gay people." even if it's just one dollar.

You have a right to educate people about this. If they are that stupid to eat that food and not to care about gay people being murdered, then they are sick people... period end of story.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The post about "antiChristian bigotry" has disappeared.
  • TheTrym
    TheTrym Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Aah, Chik-fil-A. I had vaguely heard of them before but Oh boy did I learn a lot about them last year. Obviously we don't have them in my neck of the woods, and if we did, I'd steer clear, that's for sure.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Not only do I not eat at Chik-Fil-A. I glare at them when I drive by, just for good measure!

They offended me with their willful ruination of french long before their much worse bigotry came to light so my boycott isn't really that effective. The glaring might be though.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    The most generous interpretation I can make is that Olivia was just trying to get you to avoid turning a post about food into a post about politics, regardless of how linked they are.

Her attempt is ham-fisted and her justifications are poorly worded, no doubt. Accusing someone, who is already being made a victim of civil rights issues in a larger sense, of hijacking a thread is moronic.

She might as well have said, "Shut up, queer, and only speak when spoken to" but I doubt any of the mods would see it that way.

/\
    ll
    this
  • cmeiron
    Options
    The post about "antiChristian bigotry" has disappeared.

Glad to hear that. It was pretty gross.
  • treetop57
    Options
    And the thread is locked after two and a half days, citing the guideline against political topics on the main boards.
  • Blogmarkblog
    Blogmarkblog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm glad they locked it. Too much of it was a commercial for the company anyway. Are people allowed to promote commercial products so blatantly on here? Why buy ad space?
  • treetop57
    Options
    From the "community guidelines" link at the bottom of this page: "14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising." Like political discussions, that's in the section of guidelines for the main forums. I guess it's okay to advertise, self-promote, or fund raise in groups.

Anyone want to give to the People Fund I've started? Message me for details.
  • Trev50
    Trev50 Posts: 14
    Options
    Getting back to the original post, no I don't eat at Chick-fil-Hate. I don't want to financially contribute to my own oppression any more than I have to.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I refuse to go to Chik-fil-A...although I rarely eat out. I won't even buy water there when I'm at the mall. They are entitled to their opinion and I'm entitled to not go there as a result of my differing opinions. Hopefully in MY lifetime, we will be able to look back on gay marriage issues the same way we look back in shame at the way our country treated African Americans.

My daughter is lesbian, engaged to her girlfriend and planning a commitment ceremony in late October. It infuriates me every day that they are not planning the true wedding they deserve. I find it ironic that her marriage to a manipulative, emotionally abusive sloth (who just happened to be male) was perfectly legal and condoned by "all", but she is not free to marry the wonderful woman who has helped her become a confident, happy and well-adjusted person. It makes NO sense!