DASH DIET

Options
Greg3705
Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
I have read the action plan and gotten a couple of the cooks books. So far I have adopted some of the strategies but still have not dove fully in.

Is anyone following the DASH guidelines

I would love to add friends who are

Replies

• Adrian211
    Adrian211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm in the same boat as you. I've adopted a lot of the strategies and I'm struggling to use less salt, but eventually I will break the habit. I aim for around 2300mg per day. I recognize potassium is an important electrolyte, and set my daily goal for 4700mg. That number is currently a struggle. I live at home and my family doesn't share the same eagerness for eating healthy that I do.

I was going to add pics of my meals, but I cant open an image hosting website at work. My diary is public if you care to look. Look at November 22nd and November 28th for two of my near perfect days of DASH eating. It's still a work in progress though
  • penguinattackstudios
    Options
    Make sure you look at all of the info. My husband and I found 500mg of sodium in some of their meals. I thought it was pretty steep since it's supposed to be low sodium.
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tried the Energy Oatmeal from my DASH cookbook this morning. Egg whites in oatmeal sure changed the texture and flavor. I'm glad the recipe called for blueberries, cinnamon and ginger. I added it to My Meals as I plan on eating it on occasion.

Sodium = 250 mg
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    Make sure you look at all of the info. My husband and I found 500mg of sodium in some of their meals. I thought it was pretty steep since it's supposed to be low sodium.

500mg per meal isn't bad.... if all 3 meals were 500mg, you would be at daily goal.
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm making a whole wheat low sodium pizza crust today. The premade crusts available in the grocery stores are loaded with too much sodium. A popular 12" 100% whole wheat crust has 230 mg of sodium per serving. The homemade crust I'm making should have less than 3 mg of sodium for the same size serving. I hope it tastes good and the sodium is as low as the recipe indicates.
  • penguinattackstudios
    Options

500mg per meal isn't bad.... if all 3 meals were 500mg, you would be at daily goal.

Fair enough. But since we both snack a lot and spread our meals out (eat 3 'meals' and 2~3 'snacks') it's hard to follow.