my milk supply seems to have dropped

Options
njayet
njayet Posts: 23 Member
Hi there, i have started working out doing the 30 day shred and going to the gym, i eat around 1800cals per day sometimes more sometimes abit less, i have been doing this for about 1-2 weeks now and i feel my milk supply has dropped.
my breasts seem to be a lot less full, i don't feel the milk let down as much and my baby seems to be getting angry on the breast sometimes.
He still has a lot of wet nappies though, i am not losing lots of weight either, but i may have gained muscle from strength training? what should i do? thanks

Replies

• Doing the 30 day shred might be too hard on your body right now. You need to listen to your body to stay the healthiest that you can. When your body needs something it will tell you like when you have a craving for instance, it's your body telling you that you are lacking that certain something. If I were you I'd continue to exercise but not as hard and try and eat a lot of little meals during the day rather than 3 larger meals. Make sure more than ANYTHING that you drink a lot of water. Whenever my milk supply is feeling a little lower than usual I've noticed it was because I wasn't taking as good care of myself as I normally would. I know you want to lose weight fast right now, but make sure you dont lose your milk supply in the process for your little one !! :) One easy thing you could do right away to help you increase your supply could be eating oatmeal in the morning for your breakfast. The iron in the oatmeal can give you an extra boost from what you are losing from breastfeeding and it will increase your supply.

Here are some other foods believed to help with increasing milk supply
    Red vegetables: Carrots, sweet potatoes and beets for example are high in beta-carotene, which is beneficial for your baby if you are breastfeeding. Beets and sweet potatoes are high in iron and help to maintain the liver. Carrot seeds have been known to improve milk supply. You can include them in salads, soups, porridges, meat dishes or desserts like gajjar ka halwa.

Nuts: Almonds and cashews are said to be the nuts that aid breastfeeding. They make an excellent snack and are best consumed raw. You can also add them to sweet and savoury dishes to boost their flavour.

Garlic: Among its many curative properties, garlic is said to help in increasing breastmilk supply. Though garlic can be eaten on its own, you may find it more appetising when used as a condiment in dals, meats, vegetables, pastas and pickles.

Oils and butter Certain fats from oils and butter are healthy. Oils like olive oil, flaxseed oil and sesame oil are healthier oils believed to aid breastfeeding. Butter, coconut oil and ghee, when consumed in moderation, can boost energy. Use them to cook or just drizzle some over your salads.

Here's some helpful tips from LLLI

By allowing your baby to nurse more frequently for a few days, your body will receive the message that more milk is needed for your growing baby. Once your supply has increased, your baby will usually return to his usual routine.

Here are some ideas that may help you to increase your milk supply. Look them over and consider which might work for you.

Encourage your baby to breastfeed frequently and for as long as he will.
    Offer both breasts at each feeding. Allow baby to stay at the first breast as long as he is actively sucking and swallowing. Offer the second breast when baby slows down or stops. "Finish the first breast first," is a good general rule. (This technique gives baby lots of the fatty "hindmilk.")
    Baby should end the feeding. He may do this by falling asleep and detaching from the breast after about 10 to 30 minutes of active sucking and swallowing.
    Be sure baby is latched on and positioned correctly at the breast, that is, lips should be on the areola (the darker skin area), well behind the nipple. An LLL Leader can help fine-tune positioning as well as suggest ideas to ease soreness. Breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt.
    A sleepy baby may benefit from "switch nursing" that is, switching breasts two or three times during each feeding. Switch breasts when baby's sucking slows down and he swallows less often.
    All of baby's sucking should be at the breast. Limit or stop pacifier use while encouraging baby to nurse more effectively. If you are supplementing, even temporarily, you can give the supplement by spoon, cup, or with a nursing supplementer. Contact an LLL Leader for assistance in using these.
    This may be a stressful time. Take care of yourself. Pay attention to your own need for rest, relaxation, proper diet and enough fluids.

Hi there, i have started working out doing the 30 day shred and going to the gym, i eat around 1800cals per day sometimes more sometimes abit less, i have been doing this for about 1-2 weeks now and i feel my milk supply has dropped.
    my breasts seem to be a lot less full, i don't feel the milk let down as much and my baby seems to be getting angry on the breast sometimes.
    He still has a lot of wet nappies though, i am not losing lots of weight either, but i may have gained muscle from strength training? what should i do? thanks
  • bonniejc4
    bonniejc4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips! I just started an 1800 calorie diet and have noticed my baby's a little more fussy at the breast than usual. I will try your suggestions.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My supply seemed to drop as well the first week. (Based on my 1x day pumping and baby's behavior) I set MFP to calculate a 2# drop a week, but went "over acheiver" and didn't even eat that many kcal's. (alotted about 1650, but I add in 400 more for nursing, so I should be eating around 2000 kcal's a day.) Then I had a slight overage day, and presto, I was back in business. Pumped that night and supply returned to normal levels, and my breasts felt "full" again after several hours of no nursing.

So my goal this week (if my cold doesn't drive down my appetite) is to eat up to my kcal's allotted and not short myself.

I'll post back with how things went.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I ended up lowering my weight loss goal to 1,5# per week, and that seems to be a good balance for me, and baby!