Just me and the Marines

Options
KathleenKP
KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
As I was walking to the track for my w4d2 run today, rain pelting my face and icy wind blowing through my clothes, I pulled a muscle in my ankle. I couldn't even step on it right, but I kept walking, thinking maybe it would work itself out by the time I needed to run. I considered that maybe I should just go home. But I kept going.

I get to the track, and what do I see there...too late to turn around...but a group of 35 or 40 Marines on the field in the middle of the track. It's not like the track is close to a military base or anything. I would never have expected them. I think they were newish recruits, with ten or twelve leaders.

My heart sank and I knew this was REALLY not my day.

I don't get stage fright too horribly when working out, and I hang out at the gym a lot, but still, I didn't want to be "running" with MARINES!!!! There they were, all matchy in their gym uniforms or camo pants. And then there was me. In my BRIGHT, sure not to miss it, boy do I stand out in this crowd, top.

And I remembered the "Hey, Fat Girl" post, and kept my head high. I ran when I was supposed to. Well, until my timer went on pause and kept repausing itself and I had to wing it.

So I stayed with them for almost an hour, ran extra sessions, and extra long. At the end, I was clutching my sides, trying not to be obvious about it. But I felt better when two of THEM were throwing up.

And I'm pretty darn proud of myself for persevering through all of that.

Oh, and all the cute group leaders looked me in the eyes and smiled every time they passed me. Sweet guys.

Replies

• LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well done for having the confidence to do your workout anyway, proud of you! :)
  • wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Great job!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an experience of a lifetime! Good on you for sticking with it!
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You're so brave. I would most definitely have kept on walking :embarassed:

Seeing all those Marines obviously made you forget about the pain in your ankle :tongue:
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! And as an added bonus your side hurt but you didn't throw up. Definately tougher than those 2 Marines :tongue:
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    omg, I would be so intimidated!!! I would have seen them and walked the other way. Congrats on your determination.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have never and will never make fun of someone who is working out, no matter how big or awkward you might be.

Heck, isn't that the behavior we want to encourage? Don't we want people to be healthier? That just never made sense to me.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of this:

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

So good. It always gets me faclempt.