Renewed at the back side of fourty

Options
Hi. I'm Ward. I'm new to the group forum here I'm 49 and have been a truck driver for about 26 years. I have health issues that got me to the Gym. I have worked out doing cardio for 18 days straight and feel much more energetic and lost about 13-15 lbs. I still have a lot to lose. I am Diabetic and have watched my blood sugars drop after I started working out, and my pants are fitting looser too.
I am up to an hour a day on the elliptical trainer and my stamina has gotten better and better, but I have hit a plateau and the weights not dropping as quickly any ideas to help promote more weight loss.

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. This seems to be very common for many when they start exercizing and eating to lose weight.
    My advice would be:
    Be OK with the fact that weight will come off more slowly now.
    Add weight lifting. This will keep you from losing muscle as you lose weight and more muscle means your body burns calories more efficiently

And make sure you are not eating below your Body's Basic Caloric Needs (BMR)

And KUDOS on all your work and progress!
  • SuziScott
    Options
    That is awesome Ward! I am glad that you decided to start exercising! My best advice is to stay consistent! I used to be a runner and I hit a plateau with that. Ever since I started doing p90x and other programs like that I have made great progress on getting to the body I have always wanted to have. It has to be something fun and something that will challenge you every day! Sounds like the elliptical may be not enough of a challenge at this point.
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    *This posted twice. Strange
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well done Ward! :drinker: Plateaus happen, just stick with your plan and you will get past it.
    Looks to me like your on the right track!
  • Wardcmason
    Wardcmason Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I challenged my self by doing a zoomba class and although I was a little lost I managed to make the whole hour, so after every challenge I see new achievements. And my friends are taking notice ,some are even starting to exercise now.
  • ginamarina0622
    ginamarina0622 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good for you Ward, keep up the good work! I'm new on here too, and I think it's great how many people over 40 are working out and trying to be fit. It's really inspiring. I agree with the others that consistency is key to losing weight and statying fit. If you do miss a workout or two, don't give up, just get right back to it again :)