how many calories should i have??

Options
njayet
njayet Posts: 23 Member
hi there, im 5'8 and 198lbs. I am exclusivity breastfeeding my 6mo son. Is 1800cals around the right amount to be eating to lose weight?
thanks

Replies

• Hey njayet,
    I want to start off by congratulating you on exclusively breastfeeding, that is great !!
    You sound like you are right on track ! To answer your question, yes 1800 calories is the perfect amount for the healthy breastfeeding mother to be able to produce a good supply. A mother who doesn't exercise at all or enough, has more fat stores and/or eats foods that are higher in nutritional value might need fewer calories than a mom who is more active and has more fat stores and/or eats more processed foods .An exclusively breastfeeding mother, on average, needs to take in 300-500 calories per day above what was needed to maintain pre-pregnancy weight.

Keep in mind that a sudden drop in your caloric intake could cause an issue with maintaining your milk supply.

hi there, im 5'8 and 198lbs. I am exclusivity breastfeeding my 6mo son. Is 1800cals around the right amount to be eating to lose weight?
    thanks
  • I like to quote a lot of things from websites that I enjoy reading articles from and I want to share them !

LLLI.org and kellymom.com and breastfeedingbasics.com are my favorite websites for information on breastfeeding !!

Copy and paste this link in your browser;
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

This link here is one of my favorite articles with important guidelines about how to be safe while losing weight after having a baby and continuing to breastfeed

I'm going to copy and paste this article for anyone who needs to read this and might have the same or a similar question as yours.

Six guidelines for safe dieting during lactation
    Wait until your baby is two months old before dieting
    It’s best not to do anything consciously to lose weight until after the second month. This gives your body enough time to successfully establish a healthy milk supply that is less likely to be adversely affected if your caloric intake is restricted. Breastfeeding your baby, on average, burns 200-500 calories per day (above what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight) — so keep in mind that even without a weight loss program you are burning extra calories.

Breastfeed without restriction
    Research tells us that both more frequent breastfeeding and breastfeeding longer than six months increases maternal weight loss.

Eat at least 1500-1800 calories per day
    While nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk.

Keep weight loss at less than 1.5 pounds per week
    Most moms can safely lose up to 1.5 pounds per week or 6 pounds per month after the second month and not affect milk supply or baby’s well being. One study has suggested that short-term weight loss of 2.2 pounds (1 kg) per week is not a problem (in this study, moms dieted for 11 days).

Decrease the calories gradually
    A sudden drop in calories can reduce milk supply. Some moms notice this during an illness, although dehydration and/or medication use could also be a factor in reduced milk supply when mom is sick. It has been hypothesized that a sudden calorie decrease can cause mom’s body to go into “starvation mode” and cut nonessential resources such as milk production.

Avoid quick-fix solutions
    Liquid diets, low-carb diets, fad diets, weight loss medication, etc. are not recommended while breastfeeding.

What might happen if a nursing mother loses weight too quickly?
    In most instances of too-rapid weight loss, it is not the breastmilk (composition or supply) that would suffer, but mom’s nutrition and/or health.
    Excessive dieting can result in a reduced milk supply.
    According to Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (3rd Edition, Riordan, pp 440), it is noted that fad or rapid weight loss programs should be avoided because fat-soluble environmental contaminants and toxins stored in body fat are released into the milk when caloric intake is severely restricted. I was unable to find a definition of “severely restricted” but I expect that it is significantly under 1500 calories per day (which they called a “modest intake”). I’ve included information on a study on this subject below. See also the info at this website regarding environmental contaminants and breastfeeding.
    Three great tips for weight loss (whether you are nursing or not)
    Make dietary changes — decrease your fat intake to 20-25% or less of total calories; keep your protein intake up to prevent loss of muscle mass (Recommended Intake of protein for nursing mothers is 65 grams/day for the first 6 months and 62 grams/day between 6 and 12 months).

Spread your calorie intake out — instead of 2-3 meals, eat 3 smaller meals with snacks between. Your body will be less likely to go into “starvation mode” if you are eating small amounts throughout the day.

Exercise moderately so that you burn more fat while keeping lean muscle mass. Resistance/weight training is a good way to build muscle mass. A person with more muscle mass burns more calories, even when resting.
  • njayet
    njayet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    great thanks for that :)
  • mrsmschn99
    Options
    This is all great information.... i try to eat between 1600-1800 cals and try and walk regularly with the kiddos.... (excusivly breastfeed 7 months old and a 3 1/2 yearold....) i have lost alot this month with out even really trying that hard... I know the weight loss will slow down but i havent had any milk supply issues since i started. everyone is different! i know that i usually have a ton of milk so even if i did have a little reduction in milk i probably wouldnt even notice :)