New member looking for friends/support

Options
Susiq2222
Susiq2222 Posts: 38 Member
Hello, my name is Susi, and I'm just new to MFP and so glad to find a horsey group. I'm 55 years old and live in northern Onario, Canada. I have a 16 year old overo paint mare, Miss Jazzi. Due to an injury and then a family emergency I have only ridden a handful of times since mid August. I board at my sister's hobby farm which thankfully has an indoor (our winters are brutal its -25 today). I mostly ride english, but we are all big followers of Buck Branaman and do a lot of natural horsemanship exercises.

So, I have gained 50 lbs in the last 3 years - it's affecting my riding and now my son is getting married in August. I really need to get on track and could use some support and encouragement.

Replies

• kritloveshorses
    Options
    You can do it ! :) I am trying to lose weight to improve my riding as well. It's just extra motivation. When all else fails, do it for the horses! You can friend me if you want and we can motivate eachother :)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Welcome Susie and Jazzi!

hope things have settld down for you.,I have stuck with MFP primarily because all my Friends here are Horse Woman. It's great. PLS start any topic of conversation and tell us all about your horse in YOUR HORSE. Weall love to hear about Miss J!

Dawn
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    welcome KLH,
    Glad you found the horse section! we have a couple discussions going but jump,right in if you have some ideas.

Dawn, the eternal horse fly
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Horse fly! That's funny! :bigsmile:

Hi new horsey members!
  • kritloveshorses
    Options
    Hey :)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    OOps I meant Barn Fly! LOL that's what my H calls me and friends, unless they are Barn Flies in Training! LOL
  • Capone007
    Capone007 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My number one tip I give riders is to get and wear a HRM when at the barn, and also when riding, of course. I about fainted when I saw how many calories I was burning!
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    Options
    Capone,
    How does the Heart rate monitor help,you figure calories.

I am on a drug that keeps my rate down, so I guess that would screw things up?

Dawn
  • Capone007
    Capone007 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure with your medication how it would mess up things. You enter your height/weight/age/and other info into the watch part of it. You wear a chest strap that is synced up to the watch. I have a Polar HRM, which is one of the better brands, but of course a bit more expensive (everyone recommended this one, including personal trainers).

Maybe you can ask your doctor? As long as it's not a pace maker, I would think your heart rate would increase some?