Measuring Big

Options
Today at my prenatal I wasn't expecting to measure 7 weeks to big. I'm 24 weeks pregnant and measured in at 31 weeks. I have only had a 5 pound gain total. My last ultrasound was at 20 weeks and I measured dead on. So basically in the last 4 weeks, my uterus grew as much as it should in 11 weeks. I go for another ultrasound in a week. I haven't been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

Anybody else having an issue like this?

Replies

• mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I also measured 7 weeks ahead according to the tape measure test at my last appt. According to two different U/S our baby is measuring about 1.5 weeks ahead. My OB said that it was probably just the position of baby and that I shouldn't stress or worry about it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Both of my boys measured big. I had extra ultrasounds with both of them. The were long (23'' and 24'') but they were only 7pounds 12 oz and 8 pounds 5 oz - hardly massive babies. I am short and my upper body is very short. My boys were both long with skews the measurements even more.
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was told that the baby is big at 34 weeks. Will get extra ultrasounds, but doc isn't worried, so neither am I. And I was assured that it has nothing to do with my weight gain, although diabetes would be a factor, but that was ruled out. Babies grow at different rates - as long as you're being monitored, I wouldn't stress about it.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    If your u/s said that you were right on target, go with that. The outer measurement can be off for many, many reasons.

While I was in labor, another OB from my OB's practice came in and made some rude comment about how I looked like I was going to have a huge baby. My OB had never said that to me, and the way that this lady said it made me want to smack her (it didn't help that I was in a lot of pain at the time).

My son was 7lbs 3 oz and something like 21.5" when he was born. So he was long, but not big by any measure. He wasn't a small baby, either, but definitely not what most people consider big.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I measured normal my whole pregnancy, didn't have GD, and had my son the day after his due date. 2 weeks before he was born one of the OB's who's been practicing for 30+ years told me to expect about an 8 pounder. He weighed in at a whopping 9lbs 12oz. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think Dr's have much more than guesses in the size dept.