Creaky Knees

Options
3foldchord
3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
I developed a creaky knee over the last year. It doesn't creak with walking, but stairs or lunges.
It doesn't hurt. Just creaks. Sounds like nasty gristle being ripped apart.
I am going under the assumption that as long as it doesn't hurt, things are fine.

Anyone else have advice or commiserations ?

Replies

• yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My friend had the same thing start happening, after she did a 90 day challenge. It started with the creaking/grinding sound and developed into a knee problem. Glucosamine and working the supporting muscles (quads and hamstrings) helped her. I have had an ACL tear on both knees over the last 15 years. I went to physical therapy for the first one and it recovered, but I started over compensating with the other and tore it a few years later. I am now very aware of them, when I exercise. I also take glucosamine that helps cushion the joints, I also try to take a yoga or stretching class once a week. I have been able to stay active, without surgery!
  • SuziScott
    Options
    Mine crack sometimes when I get up! Never had mine do the creaky sound though! I agree on maybe the glucosamine for joints or even adding more healthy fats to your diet.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Thanks. I'll get some glucosamine and do my yoga more often. I don't run or workout super hard, but I do bike a lot when the weather is nice,
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    As long as ther is no pain with the snap crackle and pop... you should be just fine. Glucosamine, when in the system for about a month and a half really makes a difference!!
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    As long as ther is no pain with the snap crackle and pop... you should be just fine. Glucosamine, when in the system for about a month and a half really makes a difference!!

Thanks!
  • thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I developed a creaky knee over the last year. It doesn't creak with walking, but stairs or lunges.
    It doesn't hurt. Just creaks. Sounds like nasty gristle being ripped apart.
    I am going under the assumption that as long as it doesn't hurt, things are fine.

Anyone else have advice or commiserations ?

Crouch down against a wall back straight and knees out as if your sitting against it and force all your energy to your toes through your legs, try and do a few sets of 30 seconds and add it to your exercise a few times a week :)
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I've had creaky knees since my late twenties. I blame it partially on tennis that I played pretty avidly when I was younger and on climbing up and down hundreds of spiral stairs at once at this extremely tall church in Germany that I visited. Walking up, I thought I was fine; coming back down, I soon was in agony, but what can you do? No elevators in hundred year old buildings! Anyway, the creaking actually seems to have reduced and is mostly gone now. I don't know whether to attribute it to my weight loss, exercise, or a the combination of the two, but I'm glad. The sound and feel of it has always freaked me out.
  • Luckydrd
    Luckydrd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do squats 3 times a week. My knees crack every time..lol
    I do take fish oil, don't think it helps.

I've learned to live with it.