Quick suggestions help with meals

atynk
atynk Posts: 400 Member
Hey all,

life can get busy, and sometimes trying to be primal/paleo can be difficult! I'm not trying to make excuses, but some days you have work, kids, workouts, and nothing defrosted, and I am looking for a quick meal where I am not cooking!

If you have ideas let me know.. I realize that cracking a can good is not considered paleo/primal.... but sometimes you have to just be happy with "good enough" lol... i feel like if I didn't order a pizza, then its a success :)

Replies

• Stop at the store and get a rotisserie chicken and salad or veggie platter?
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Grab a rotisserie chicken, a couple of sweet potatoes and a bag of frozen veggies when in a pinch. The sweet potato can be baked in the microwave for a couple of minutes as well as the veggies and you can have a meal in less than 5 minutes.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Or make eggs for dinner. We keep bacon, peppers, mushrooms and red onions chopped up to toss in with our eggs in the morning for a quick breakfast.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    We all have those days! I'll grab a rotisserie chicken on crazy nights, or leftovers are good too! Also, if I make a soup or spaghetti (w/ spaghetti squash of course lol) I'll make at least 2 meals worth and freeze them (they only take a little bit to thaw, and you can do it in the microwave or directly in the pot too. I do try to plan for crockpot meals on days I know I'll be getting home late or have dance class and have to have dinner done early.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    In addition to the rotisserie chicken idea, I also keep cans of tuna in the house for when I can't cook. I add it on top of salad greens with olive oil and vinegar.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Grab a rotisserie chicken, a couple of sweet potatoes and a bag of frozen veggies when in a pinch. The sweet potato can be baked in the microwave for a couple of minutes as well as the veggies and you can have a meal in less than 5 minutes.

^ I'm all for this.

Sweet potatoes, or normal potatoes (cheaper) are ridiculously easy to cook. And SO much can be done with them - mashed, boiled, baked, as chips, wedges, fries, nacho crisps, etc. Just about five minutes in the microwave while you fry yourself some eggs and bacon and bam, meal time. Or grate the potato into the pan with bacon grease for a homemade hash brown. Nom.

Best quick and budget meals are eggs, potatoes and offal. Add milk and white rice to that if you tolerate it. All are pretty easy to cook and serve. Veggies can easily be steamed and served alongside.
  • mrsnicole1
    mrsnicole1 Posts: 6 Member
    Costco has great Aidells(sp?) chicken meatballs in all flavors and are easy to heat up whether they are frozen or just refrigerated. I put the meatballs over a purple cabbage slaw tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette with whatever fruit and veggies I have on hand. Cucumbers and avocado and cilantro are my favorite.
  • jodester13
    jodester13 Posts: 25 Member
    My favorite (relatively) quick meal is chicken and artichoke. Cut up boneless chicken - thighs or breast - into bite-size pieces, spread on cookie sheet - add quartered artichokes (I use canned). Melt 3 tbsp pasture butter and 1/4 cup organic EVOO - saute a little garlic in it. Pour the butter mixture over the chicken/artichoke and broil 20 minutes. Stir around and broil another 5 to 15 minutes. Add sea salt, pepper & oregano to taste. Prep time is minimal - and you can work on other tasks while it's cooking. One of my favs!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    My advice would be to make something ahead for emergencies and freeze it. For example, if you are cooking one night, go ahead and make extras. Then freeze it. Do this a couple of times so you have options. When you notice you are running low on quick options, start making more again.

*just a thought* I know that doesn't help for the initial emergency, but if you do this, you won't have emergency situations. All you need to do is microwave your leftovers. :drinker:
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Salads are my favorites, especially taco salad. You could cook up some ground beef which is fairly quick, and make a salad. You can bake frozen chicken (no effort) with some spices sprinkled on top, or kerry gold grass fed cheese (my favorite).

If you are ok with eating Mung Beans, they have a pasta made from Mung Beans only by Explore Asia. Or soak some kelp noodles overnight (with a little lemon) and make a quick stir-fry or marina sauce, with pre-made frozen meatballs...
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 191 Member
    Last night's dinner took me less than a half an hour and was super easy:

Frozen Broccoli
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Coconut Oil
    salt
    powdered garlic

Put the frozen broccoli in the microwave for a minute, cut up the bacon into bits. Mixed the uncooked bacon bits, broccoli, a little oil, salt, and garlic together in a plastic bag). Popped the bacon and broccoli mixture in the oven on a cookie sheet with some aluminum foil (although next time I think I will try parchment paper) to roast at a about 400.

While that cooked I made some scrambled eggs with the coconut oil.

Altogether super easy and yummy. You could do the broccoli and bacon thing ahead of time I bet and have in the fridge ready to go, although it really didn't take any time.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    My advice would be to make something ahead for emergencies and freeze it. For example, if you are cooking one night, go ahead and make extras. Then freeze it. Do this a couple of times so you have options. When you notice you are running low on quick options, start making more again.

*just a thought* I know that doesn't help for the initial emergency, but if you do this, you won't have emergency situations. All you need to do is microwave your leftovers. :drinker:

This makes life so much easier, and is great for lunches on the go. I do a weekend of prepping and freezing once in awhile, but have just been making a few extra portions to freeze a few nights this past couple weeks and now have curry chicken, taco meat, chili, and terriyaki chicken all ready to go in ziplocs.

Last night's dinner was a bust, (moose hind roast should be ground or turned into jerky rather than trying to slow roast it), so the dogs got the leftovers which meant none for hubby's lunch. Being able to just grab one of the portions from the freezer saved me from having to make something.