How Do I Keep Going When Life Hits Hard?

Options
I'm a mom of five children ages 2-14. I lost 15 lbs last year, and by the summer made it to my goal weight and felt great. I took up running, turned my whole kitchen 'clean' and even secretly helped my hubby lose a few too.

Then Christmas came: 7 lbs people! 7! What took me a year to lose I gained in a month. I threw all caution to the Christmas Tree as I baked, and partied, and served, and ate!

After Christmas I got back on the wagon, and lost 4lbs the first week just eating right again.

Then we got sick. We got sick for a very long time. I had pneumonia, so I couldn't run, couldn't get out of bed for weeks. But I could eat just fine!

I managed to get back on board and lost 2 lbs starting with low impact pilates. I started noticing my body shifting back.

Then my 60 year old young mother had a stroke last week.

I ate at the hospital, people brought us meals for a week, I ate takeout 4 times that week running from home to hospital. I gained 4 back.

So here I am in my ugly sweats, grasping for a new angle to get my butt in gear and my 1st question is. When life hits, how do I keep going?

Replies

• IrellStarling
    Options
    I'm sorry for all the stress that's been going on. My life has also been a bit of a whirlwind although admittedly not as rough as yours. I've only been dieting for less than a month although I've never dieted in my entire life. In the first few days, through the hunger pains and binge sweets (which I was gifted from Christmas and thankfully most have disappeared thanks to my husband taking several for the team) I discovered two very important facts about dieting:

1) It will always be something. Birthday party, baked goods from a coworker, the smell of fries on my drive back home, a staying at work for 11 hours, or simple 'forgetting' to make a grocery list. That doesn't mean you can't give in a little. Did you know that the more often you say no', the harder it keeps getting. But just a little. Small fries with a salad. A smoothie if I have calories to spare. Also, I'll allow myself to go over on my calories only if I'm willing to work them off again that day.

2) You have to want it. Is it just that you want to loose weight or do you want learn to be healthy? Are you wanting to teach your children how to make healthy eating decisions? Hold on to whatever motivation ignites you and hold tight. You can do this and you don't have to do it alone.

-Irell
  • virtuouswomanx
    Options
    Irell: Thank you for the advice. Its true, there is always something isn't there. I've never been a big fan of deprivation, so I sneak a lot of treats guilt free and I can usually get away with it. USUALLY ;>
    You are right I really need to get in line with what my motivation is. My biggest is energy, when I eat right and exercise I have energy to spare, when I fall off the wagon like I have, I can barely motivate myself to parent.
  • teamya
    teamya Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Sorry to hear that your life is hitting hard on you. It is normal for people to find food for comfort when there is a lot of stress. I understand. But for your health and whatever your goal you have for losing weight, you shouldn't find comfort from food. It is an easy way out. Try to find something that's not food related like pampering yourself with a nice bath, watch a movie with hubby, whatever else that's not related to food!

Also, I love listening to Jillian Michael's popcast, she's funny and very motivate people, No BS. In her popcast, sometime will get into deeper discussion about life and makes you think. It helped me to stay focus in keeping myself healthy.

I am sure you know how to lose weight (I read your intro). So please stay focus and do this for yourself! You deserve being healthy and the most happy you can be!!

Best of luck losing the last 10 lbs. I joined your group today, so let's get healthy together!

- YT (excuse my English, it is not my native language)
  • virtuouswomanx
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Let's do this!

22173345.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hparisi
    Options
    I am proud of you for your will to keep trying. Life is hard and sometimes we fall off but we always get back up and keep going. You are teaching your family to stay strong and reach goals and in the end you know you will do it. I am proud of you for being here and not giving up. If you didn't want this you wouldn't log on and talk to us. Let's get this done and be proud for what we can achieve.
  • virtuouswomanx
    Options
    Thank-you <3