Good Low-to-no-Calorie Snacks

Options
One of my favorite is herbal tea with imitation sugar-free honey. Only 50 calories in the honey, no calories if you just have the tea. The heat from the tea is nice and soothing and the liquid is filling in a snack attack!

Replies

• JavaSparrow
    JavaSparrow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    -any type of tea or coffee (black or with a bit of 30 cal coffee mate)

-stawberries/blueberries

-strawberry frozen fruit bars/frozen yogurt bars (bluebell 70 cal, yoplait frozen yogurt bars, 55 cal -tastes just like strawberry icecream)

-PB2 powdered peanut butter (45 cal. i make it into a sandwich with low-cal bread and honey for around 165)

-hard boiled egg white w/ salt (its around 17-20 cals)

-truvia artificial sweetner (0 cals, tastes better than splenda i think. some say its bad for you though)

-diet soda (only once in awhile, because i've heard so much bad stuff)

-8th continent soy milk (loaded with protein and calcium, 50 cals for a cup of light vanilla. 90 for a cup of light chocolate)

idk there are probably others, like cottage cheese and whatever else i can't think of right now. i love snacks @_@ i really could use all 1200 on just snacks xD
  • sspayde
    sspayde Posts: 11
    Options
    Regular Honey has 60 calories and actually helps with your digestion :) just a thought...I personally don't care for sugar-free or artificial sweeteners

I consider low cal snacks to be anything around 100cal or less. Some of my favorites include cocoa roasted almonds, bananas, any fresh berries, and greek yogurt.
    I also love tea! I like to buy various flavored green and black teas, that way you don't need sugar to flavor the tea. One of my personal favorites is chai (not the concentrate kind) but the kind that comes in a loose leaf tea form. All time favorite is from Teavana. It has a strong cinnamon flavor and is sweetened naturally by dried fruits in the tea mixture. Perfect for a cold morning.
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I second you on the at least 100 calorie snacks and no artificial sweeteners. I use raw stevia and honey. As for snacks, about 30 pistachios, hummus with carrots, a little PB with carrots/apple/celery etc... cottage cheese with diced pear, a piece of fruit, cucumber with lime, jicama with lime.
    Regular Honey has 60 calories and actually helps with your digestion :) just a thought...I personally don't care for sugar-free or artificial sweeteners

I consider low cal snacks to be anything around 100cal or less. Some of my favorites include cocoa roasted almonds, bananas, any fresh berries, and greek yogurt.
    I also love tea! I like to buy various flavored green and black teas, that way you don't need sugar to flavor the tea. One of my personal favorites is chai (not the concentrate kind) but the kind that comes in a loose leaf tea form. All time favorite is from Teavana. It has a strong cinnamon flavor and is sweetened naturally by dried fruits in the tea mixture. Perfect for a cold morning.
  • burntsianna
    Options
    I gave up coffee but really enjoy heated unsweetened almond milk with a teaspoon of honey, pumpkin pie seasoning or cinnamon, and a tablespoon of raw cocoa powder (this is about 80 calories per one cup). This has some calcium, fiber, protein, and is a great source of anti-oxidants. I also like to have an asian pear, which is very high in fiber. TJ's seaweed snack (not really filling, but healthy and gives you something crunchy and salty to snack on). A smoothie with almond milk, frozen banana, and cinnamon.

Not really a snack, but a super low calorie dinner is a salad of shredded cabbage, carrots, sesame seeds, with light dressing of grapeseed oil and lemon (this provides >100% of your daily Vitamin C, and is a good source of other vitamins).
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Swiss miss diet hot chocolate (25 calories)
    Cucumbers or celery with laughing cow cheese (50 calories-I think)
    Low carb yogurts (60 calories)
    Berries
    Single serve popcorn (100 calories)
    Hummus with almonds or carrots
  • lnjoyw
    lnjoyw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Low-fat cottage cheese! I am a cottage cheese-aholic!
  • clhous03
    Options

Being diabetic means that artificial sweetners are my only option. :grumble: I do try to limit them as much as possible, though.
  • clhous03
    Options
    Swiss miss diet hot chocolate (25 calories)

*scribbles down on grocery list*
  • nicole3110
    Options
    My weakness are sweets and desserts. I keep a box of the Kashi oatmeal dark chocolate chip cookies in the house (outta kid reach). They are 130 calories each, but one is more than enough for me to feed my chocolate fix and feel like I am cheating even though I am not.
  • sspayde
    sspayde Posts: 11
    Options

Being diabetic means that artificial sweetners are my only option. :grumble: I do try to limit them as much as possible, though.

I did not realize that you were diabetic. My apologies if I made you feel uncomfortable. Have you ever tried stevia? I've been told that diabetics can use that and it doesn't effect blood sugar as much...
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers with Laughing Cow and turkey pepperoni, cucumbers with tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, cucumbers wrapped with Hormel all natural chicken breast lunch meat. I love cucumbers!
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All of these are great! BUMP (At first I thought BUMP meant "fist-bump" for good topics). I just had some fresh pineapple. When I looked up the calories I was surprised at how low in calories it is.
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here is a snack mix I found on cooking light that I am going to make for Super-Bowl Sunday: Salty-Sweet Mix:

1 1/2 cups Post Honey Nut shredded wheat, 1 cup dried mangoes, 3 cups Triscuit whole-wheat thin crisps, 1/2 cup roasted almonds

1/2 cup mix = 125 calories, 2.2g fiber
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    fruit (usually a banana, apricot, plum or some grapes)
    fun size chocolate (under 100 cals)
    diet soda
    low cal yoghurt
    cottage cheese and tomato
    vegetables (whatever i have)
    tea
    whipped peanut butter (carefully measured)
    low cal mousse
    boiled egg
    scrambled egg whites mixed with a dash of curry powder
    There's alot more!
  • clhous03
    Options

I did not realize that you were diabetic. My apologies if I made you feel uncomfortable. Have you ever tried stevia? I've been told that diabetics can use that and it doesn't effect blood sugar as much...

Aww, no worries, t didn't make me uncomfortable. The little smiley is my grumble because I worry about the health risks of artificial sweetners. I have tried stevia, a friend of mine makes me an awesome pumpkin cheesecake with stevia. It's a rare treat because it's pretty high-cal with all the cream cheese. Mostly, I just eat a lot of very unsweetened things. Fruit, though, that's a definite favorite. :happy:
  • benanamama
    Options
    I also love desserts. I like the fiber one 90 calorie chocolate carmel and pretzel. I do my best to eat it slowly. it normally does the trick for my chocolate cravings.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    FRUIT! I tend to eat one fruit (apple/ orange...) as my mid-morning snack and another one as my mid-afternoon snack (a banana-110 kcl- if my lunch was small). Also, plain non-fat yougurt (TJ organic one has 110kcal per cup- you can have 3/4 of a cup- which is still a lot- to lower the amount of calories).

I don't like eating snacks that are sponsored as low- to- no calories because although they are very low in calories, they usually have 0 nutrients and the sugar is replaced with artificial sweetners, which in the long run are bad for you. I try to stick to fresh food as much as I can...
  • monikadanielak
    monikadanielak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    air popped popcorn - one scoop makes a bowlful for around 180 calories, very carb heavy so it fills you up when you have that yawning gap in your stomach, while still warm from the popping machine, toss in a bit of black pepper, or paprika or curry spices for added flavour with no calories. I try to avoid adding salt because that has other health related issues.

grated raw carrots and apple make a sweet side dish for relatively few calories, add a bit of balsamic vinegar and onions for a more savoury type salad side

Or, one of my favourites, rice cakes (about 39 calories each), add a thick slice of beef tomato, a sprinkle of dried oregano or parsley, a couple of drops of balsamic and some ground black pepper

For sweet snacks, I stew some peeled and cored apples in a bit of fruit tea and add a tablespoon of raisins to give me something to chew on!
  • kwentz1960
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I am jotting some down on my grocery list today. I used to munch on almonds thinking they were a healthy snack. I bought a large container at Sam's club. When I starting logging in the calories a few weeks ago, I was astounded how many calories I was "enjoying" with my almonds. Now I count out 12 and stop. I also love hummus and carrots. To stop the sugar cravings, Greek yogurt helps (about 160 calories). A small apple (I stopped buying the large ones) helps with belly fat (pectin). If I make popcorn, I usually overeat so for now, I can't even make it. If I keep crackers of any kind, I will likely eat the entire box, so I buy the 100 calorie packaged snacks even though they are more expensive. Thanks for the idea of a boiled egg with S&P.
  • kwentz1960
    Options
    Also, have you tried Agave nectar for sweetener? I put it on oatmeal with a half of banana. Perfect breakfast!