DVDs and other training programmes

Options
I keep seeing DVDs and programmes like the "30 day shred" bouncing around this website with much enthusiasm and while it does look fantastic... its would kill me. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to do such a DVD type motivational strut my wiggly bits and push those flabby folds but it seems a little too overly enthusiastic for someone who has difficulty climbing out of the bath.

Does anyone here have any DVDs / training programmes they've found particularly suitable for the less mobile? I want to find something that will get my heart rate going a little more than the normal exercises you end up being advised to do (i.e. pilates with all the bend, stretch, breathe deeply and try not to pass wind as you bend forward) but I want something that is gentle on the body. The wrapped in cotton wool 30 day shred.

I was thinking about finding some kind of exercise programme for pregnant ladies (which one hopes would avoid the leaping up and down and stomach crunches) but I'd prefer something that's a real human can tell me whether they're any good or not.

Replies

• tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Jane Fonda's DVD's aimed at seniors. Prime Time Fit & Strong has a gentle routine which suits me ok (half of which is seated and has options to hold onto things for balance) but it also has a more physical one - enough to get the blood pumping without bouncing around like a crazy person.

I also have her Trim, Tone & Flex which is too blood pumping for me so is probably just what you're looking for. Don't be too put off by it being aimed at seniors even if a lot of the chat is about that - because issues like balance and getting active are applicable especially if you have some mobility/illness/disability issues etc.

There may be other DVD's aimed at seniors (some of which I could name) which might be suitable but these are the only 2 I have experience of and that's what I think you're after.
  • tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I revisited the Trim, Tone & Flex DVD yesterday being fitter than I was at the start of MFP and I think it may be too gentle for you.

Have you looked at any Rosemary Conley DVD's? They are fairly low impact in terms of bouncing around but may be a bit more challenging.
  • Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on that fitness improvement! :)

I've been having a look around but I'm a little worried that the senior DVDs are going to put me off, because (as much as I hate excuses) if I'm struggling to do something my grandma is expected to do am I going to start feel resentful and then blame the crippled bits when I don't see any results as quickly as I want? (I tend to over think things!) I've found a few that focus on "bad backs" but I want something a little more general (I sound so demanding!)

When I get an evening to myself (next week by the looks of things) I'm going to get on You Tube and see if I can find "taster sessions" of people and work out who is going be most motivating in terms of their character which I am hoping will compensate my not being able to do some of the exercises. If I find someone I like I'll be back on here to get advice on how to adapt some of them!
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Although a while since using fitness DVDs, I am afraid I am rather sceptical of these. They just seem to be money making extras for 'famous names'. When I can I go on the Wii. I bought it second hand for about £60 and have found there is something for virtually every stage of how I am. If I am particularly bad I can still try the yoga breathing and/or stretching exercises for example. I also do qi quong tai chi which is very very gentle.