new to group

Options
Hi my name is Tania and I am just starting a weight wise program. This progrqam involves weight loss surgery. I am 40 Years old and wanting to be healthy this program contains 10 workshops i must take and will probably be at least 3 months before i see the surgeon. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Tania, Welcome to the group! I just had my surgery on 12/11/12, but started my process in March of 2012. I had to be supervised for 6 months with monthly weigh-ins, had to lose 10% of my starting body weight, go to 6 weeks of lifestyles classes, see the surgeon, do exercise and meet with the exercise physiologist, plus dietician appts and two support group meetings. So it is a process, and was for many of us on this board. But like you, we all did what we needed to do and for me, it was the best decision!

I lost 32 pounds pre-surgery in six months, and have lost 33 pounds post-op in six weeks! As for tips, during this stage, make those lifestyle changes that you will need post-op. Learn to cut out sweets, and caffiene, and any other surgary beverages. Start exercising now, if you are not doing so already. Even if it is five minutes a day, each day you will get stronger. Pay attention to what you learn in you 10 week class, as they should address portion sizes, eating frequently, and getting in enough liquids each day. Also, make sure you really research! I knew most of what I was told already, but it was great to have reminders post-op.

Oh, and most importantly, remember that for each person the process is different! I was very fortunate and have had no complications or issues thus far, but others on this board have had various issues arise. This is not to scare you, but to realistically tell you that it is not the same for each person. Along with that, try not to compare yourself with others on this board, or in your support network. We lose at different rates as our bodies adjust. I lost 20 pounds post-op in the first 2 weeks, and the next 13 pounds in four weeks after that. There are epople here who had surgery around the same time as me and have steadily lost 2-5 pounds each week. My feeling, your body will do what it nees to do as long as you stay on target and follow the doctors recommendations. Hope this helps!
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!!! This is the best group ever for WLS support!!! Lots of experiences here among all of us. So welcome and feel free to add us to your friends group as well!!!
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • bvjmom
    bvjmom Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • Cheekybookworm
    Options
    Welcome to the group! My surgery date was 10/18/12 (VGS) and I want to second the note of not comparing your loss to other's. I was really dissapointed at first and had a hard time accepting the rate I was losing. I'm much happier now that I've accepted I'm losing at the rate my body know it needs to - I can't control the rate of loss and my body isn't the enemy - it knows best. And part of the reason I undertook this journey was to relearn to hear and trust what it needs vs. what my head says it wants. I figure as long as I follow my Surgeon and NUT's plan I will lose. Not as fast as I wanted but I can live with that (even if I don't always like it...and sometimes I don't :wink: ).

Also, when I started the process in 10/11, I really had to focus on letting go of black and white "diet" mentality - the "I ate xyz, so I might as well give up (start tomorrow, next week, quit 'cuz I'm going to fail anyway). I had to embrace this is truely a time of learning to be perfectly imperfect. Living a little in the gray zone. Not beating myself up because I had a bad meal, day, etc.

And finally, my counselor has played a critical role in my success. We've worked a lot on head hunger and food addiction. I still have lots of room to grow but I feel much more confident that I will be successful than I ever did before!

For me, I've found It's not an easy journey (no magic wand - darn it!) and anyone who says differently probably hasn't walked a mile in our shoes. It is not easy, but it's the best decision I've made.

I wish you well! If you ever need support feel free to reach out!

Jess
  • Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    My advice would be to use the prep time well. Become an educational sponge and absorb all the knowledge your team will give you. Start all the healthy habits NOW that you will be using after surgery. No fluids 30 minutes before and after eating; practice slow eating and chew, chew, chew; stop drinking soda and caffeine, but have a fluid intake of 64 oz. or more. If you start all these now, they will be habits by the time you have your surgery and will help you tremendously.

The folks on the site are great--many different experiences and willingness to share. As others have said, we are all very different. Good luck!
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Do everything the surgeons tell you. Cheating is not wise and after surgery it is not worth it. Feel free to add me. March 30 will be my 1 year surgeverissary
  • 130down
    130down Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really second Mommycline's advice. You really want to take advantage of that first year or the "honeymoon" stage. The other advice I can offer is do NOT introduce carbs other than fruits and veggies. I am 1 1/2 years out and and have reached my goal of a 130 loss. I attend monthly support group meetings for over 1 year post ops, and almost all of the people who have gained weight have lost control of their carb's. It is so easy to become addicted again, it's best to never introduce them back into your diet.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    welcome lady

hope you can find some answers and everyone is pretty truthful in this group and not a lot of BS.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good program. The more information and education you get will definitiely make your surgery more successful. You can not believe how easy it is to let yourself fall into old habits, so the longer you are preparing for WLS can only be to your advantage.
    I also can not stress how important it is to believe that the surgery is only a tool to help in the weight loss process but you still have to put in the effort!
    Good luck to you.