Face Pulls, Posture, and You

Options
chris1816
chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
Face Pull Exercise for Posture w/ Adrian Crowe

http://youtu.be/bUrOLJtp-FA

Posture is something I go on about often; it's a little thing that people don't always understand nor realize the benefit of building and establishing good posture. Sometimes poor posture is just a matter of habit, but other times it can be indicative of strength deficiencies in the musculature of the back. This is a lift that is one of the first things that should be considered as accessory to be added into an existing lifting routine, or adapted into one you may devise (for those of you more experienced that actually know wtf you should be doing).

I've spoken about Face Pulls and their benefits before. They are something that can be performed with both resistance bands and using a rope and cable assembly at any gym with the right equipment. Posture aside they address a few issues that people don't often consider when beginning lifting; and even experience lifters ignore. Many pull based lifts work the same musculature (the posterior deltoid, lower and middle trapezius, rhomboids etc), they don't quite put the emphasis that a properly executed Face Pull does. In addition, these can truly be considered a shoulder health exercise, building stability that will prevent common rotator cuff injuries and shoulder impingement which can occur from other exercises that put strain on the shoulder.

If you're at the gym, look around at some of the regulars there and their shoulders (especially when they are wearing singlets, which are extremely f*cking gay). Those that focus on curls, chest exercises, and less on full body tend to have severely overdeveloped anterior deltoids (front part of the shoulder) versus the posterior (rear) part of the deltoid muscle.

I highly advise watching this video often and adding a few light weight sets of Face Lifts into your routine if you have been lifting for a bit. For those of you doing Stronglifts in which you do a very strict form barbell row; be mindful of not necessarily doing them on the same day and also just watch your fatigue levels. You involve many of the same muscles here but should not impact your endurance levels. Once again this does not need to be a heavy lift by any means, focus on form, safety, and understanding the muscle contractions involved.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Good info again Chris. I have this vid saved. I think I'll incorporate into my rest day "fun in the gym" time. Thanks!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Have bookmarked it for 'playing' later......I love pulling faces :tongue:
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Love this...and the up, back and down is an easy thing to remember during the day!

Thanks for posting, Chris