Biggest Challenges

Options
For me, my biggest challenges are two-fold. The first is working second shift. It's so hard to structure meal times at completely different times of the day than the average person. The second is working on my graduate degree because I'm stuck sitting on the computer and reading (which I love to do, but such a sedentary activity!) for hours every day.

Replies

• CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm a bored eater. During the day, I tend to stay busy but in the evenings when the husband is home, dinner has been eaten, dogs are sleeping, and I'm spending an hour looking up Pinterest recipes, I just want to graze on anything!
  • clhous03
    Options
    I'm a bored eater. During the day, I tend to stay busy but in the evenings when the husband is home, dinner has been eaten, dogs are sleeping, and I'm spending an hour looking up Pinterest recipes, I just want to graze on anything!

That's the problem with homework/reading for me. While I'm sitting at the computer or at my desk reading 250-300 pages of homework a week, it kills me not to munch on SOMETHING, anything!
  • brides24
    brides24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My biggest challenge is myself....I have no motivation or ambition even though I want to and need to loose weight. I too am in college two nights a week and studying most other times but I try and stay active so just walking on the treadmill at home while reading (which you're not suppose to do) seems to be somewhat helpful. I also consider myself a "car eater" instead of "closet eater" because a lot of times at lunch I'll go to the store and grab something that I know isn't nutritious but I crave and I will hide in my car and eat it, thank goodness Hostess went out of business because Suzy Q's and Funny Bones were my indulgence and I can't find anything even remotely close to taste like those LOL
  • nicole3110
    Options
    I am a boredom eater too. Same thing, I do well during the day, but at night after kids are in bed I tend to graze. Hell even if there is nothing good in the pantry I end up making it a challenge for myself to create something good to eat lol.

I am also a CA girl now living in VA and that has been hard. Before in Cali I would go take a walk along the coast with the dogs if I was bored...here it is too dang cold to go for a walk lately.
  • Joanneea
    Options
    If you are at the computer for extended times, have you tried you-tube for a five minute dance break, I mean if you are home ha not at the library. For example try Justin Timberlake Sexy Back

And if you are a boredom eater have you thought of making up some snacks and leaving them in the fridge even if its a small tub of fruit salad n greek-yoghurt, or a small serving of salad with a sqeeze of lemon juice and greek-yoghurt with nuts and seeds, small tin of tuna or salmon etc try for whole food snacks Think ahead
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is always behave at dinner time. Lunch is not a problem because I eat at my desk and usually bring snacks and co. from home, so I stick to whatever I brought without going to the cafeteria and buy extra (no temptations within the office, usually)... saving calories AND money! But at night, I love relaxing in front of a movie and eat... I think I suffer for ADD because I cannot just watch a movie and stay still... I need to eat! Truth is, usually I behave... but if it wasn't for MFP (and for my evening running that allows me some extra calories), I would empty the refrigerator in the evening and gain so much weight!

But the biggest challenge of all is going out at night...how can you go out with friends and stick to your diet at the restaurant? I usually don't- I eat what I want (with some limits) and I eat less the day after to balance the calories...but IT'S SO HARD!!!
  • Kristi336
    Kristi336 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is after dinner cravings. My family moved in with my mom for a few months while we were renovating our house and she has a major sweet tooth/chocolate addiction so I got in the habit of having dessert and chocolate treats every night after dinner. Grrr.... we moved back into our house on Jan 1 but I can't even describe the cravings I'm getting at night for chocolate! I've never experienced anything like it - even when I was pregnant. I try to fight it off with sugar free swiss miss cocoa (yum!!), hot tea, 100 cal popcorn bags, but sometimes I break down and give in. I did have a bag of Godiva chocolates and just eat 1 or 2. Or have a couple of mini Reese's cups but now I'm trying to go cold turkey and keep chocolate candy out of the house. Unfortunately, last night my husband made brownies...it was not pretty! Haha. He's super skinny and needs to gain about 30 lbs so I hate to ask him not to have treats in the house because he actually needs the calories. Luckily I am able to easily stick with it for breakfast and lunch and we eat healthy homemade dinners every night. I'm going to have to cut out this late night unhealthy snacking though. I can't afford to waste that many calories on 3 bites of something with no nutritional value!
  • MartinaNYC
    Options
    My biggest challenge is after dinner cravings. My family moved in with my mom for a few months while we were renovating our house and she has a major sweet tooth/chocolate addiction so I got in the habit of having dessert and chocolate treats every night after dinner. Grrr.... we moved back into our house on Jan 1 but I can't even describe the cravings I'm getting at night for chocolate! I've never experienced anything like it - even when I was pregnant. I try to fight it off with sugar free swiss miss cocoa (yum!!), hot tea, 100 cal popcorn bags, but sometimes I break down and give in. I did have a bag of Godiva chocolates and just eat 1 or 2. Or have a couple of mini Reese's cups but now I'm trying to go cold turkey and keep chocolate candy out of the house. Unfortunately, last night my husband made brownies...it was not pretty! Haha. He's super skinny and needs to gain about 30 lbs so I hate to ask him not to have treats in the house because he actually needs the calories. Luckily I am able to easily stick with it for breakfast and lunch and we eat healthy homemade dinners every night. I'm going to have to cut out this late night unhealthy snacking though. I can't afford to waste that many calories on 3 bites of something with no nutritional value!

...isn't it so frustrating when you have a husband/boyfriend (in my case) who can eat whateve he wants because he is so skinny??? Lol! I feel you ;) Keep up with the good work!
  • clhous03
    Options

...isn't it so frustrating when you have a husband/boyfriend (in my case) who can eat whateve he wants because he is so skinny??? Lol! I feel you ;) Keep up with the good work!

Same here! My husband is really thin, also. He keeps a Rubbermaid tote with things he likes (chips, cookies, etc.) under the bed so I at least don't have to see them.
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Working out. I HATE it, plus I have patellofemoral syndrome in both knees so it limits the types of exercises I can do. I can't walk on a treadmill or up/down hills, no lunges, squats, leg lifts, stair climbers. Doc says I can either swim or do the elliptical. Both of which I don't enjoy (swimming i like but outdoors where I don't have to worry about the chlorine).

If I could find an exercise that doesn't hurt my knees and allows for maximum calorie burn per hour, I'd do it. :)
  • Heltel123
    Heltel123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating out is the biggest challenge for me - nowhere does a meal that isn't boring for under 600 cals.
  • kwentz1960
    Options
    Smartest idea ever to the person who said her husband keeps a rubber maid tote of things he eats and hides it.!!!!! If I have it in the house and see it, I .eat it. Last night I ate three (maybe four) pieces of cake because it was there. I wasn't hungry. It wasn't that FABULOUS, but it was there. My biggest struggle is doing things like that.....I don't understand why I have to eat so much, but I do know if it is not in the house, I do okay. I am an addict with food and have little self control. I find myself thinking about the cake in the fridge or the cookies in the pantry. If I take one bite, I will likely overeat and binge on a huge amount.....
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating at my desk at work and buying treats to and from work.

Even having my usual lunch, if I eat while working or surfing the net I don't seem to notice the food therefore feel hungry - like eating never happened. I am more tempted to eat later on.

I find alternating between different tea flavours (right now I have Jasmine green tea, Ceylon black tea with milk, and rose with French vanilla black tea with milk).

For other times I chew sugar-free gum.

Both of these give me a flavour hit for few calories, that way I don't feel like I am missing out.
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    the challenge for me is portion control, I can not help myself, even though I am under my calorie intake, I would love to be able to not have so much of the nice recipes I make, love to bake but don't do much at the moment. love casseroles, roasts but just can't do portion control. we do eat very healthy with loads of vegies. But guess what??? I am going to beat this!!!!!
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is not eating regularly enough and then binging!
    A big thing I have to keep control of.
  • alaskanaomi
    Options
    Portion control is also one of my biggest challenges. I'm working on it, though.

Also, I work nights and have a crazy schedule. I work 2 weeks up at the top of Alaska and eat from a cafeteria. The good part of this is: there is no alcohol (one of my biggest vices) and they generally have very healthy food up here (in addition to junk). they also have a very nice gym up here, so I work out every day.

and then I have 2 weeks free at home. When I get home, I tend to splurge. I really need to work on that.
  • MartinaNYC
    Options
    Smartest idea ever to the person who said her husband keeps a rubber maid tote of things he eats and hides it.!!!!! If I have it in the house and see it, I .eat it. Last night I ate three (maybe four) pieces of cake because it was there. I wasn't hungry. It wasn't that FABULOUS, but it was there. My biggest struggle is doing things like that.....I don't understand why I have to eat so much, but I do know if it is not in the house, I do okay. I am an addict with food and have little self control. I find myself thinking about the cake in the fridge or the cookies in the pantry. If I take one bite, I will likely overeat and binge on a huge amount.....

I feel you... I rarely eat because Im hungry... I usually eat just because I LOVE FOOD!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    But the biggest challenge of all is going out at night...how can you go out with friends and stick to your diet at the restaurant? I usually don't- I eat what I want (with some limits) and I eat less the day after to balance the calories...but IT'S SO HARD!!!

Aah I totally feel your pain! But I think you definitely CAN eat well, it depends on your tastes. I am lucky to live in Tokyo - Japanese food is generally very wholesome and good, but there are still many curries etc packing 1000+ calories!

What I have been learning (still not there) is:
    1. It's ok to leave some if the serving is too big. I am assuming you're in the US - servings there are RIDICULOUS!
    2. Why do you have to eat at bad quality places? Go somewhere that serves good, healthy food!!

Depending on location this differs - I can find 350calorie takeaway in many places here (they have it written down) which is good for me on weekends when I'm out and about with my bf, but I have found that carrying carrot sticks and things to nibble on very helpful :) and by all means don't go near Italian restaurants hah!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I find myself thinking about the cake in the fridge or the cookies in the pantry. If I take one bite, I will likely overeat and binge on a huge amount.....

I hear you! Ah, I always buy a 20pack, separate packaged box of cookies thinking 'I will have only one in a day as a little reward'. Next day they are all gone :( my partner has many travellers come by his place and is always receiving gifts - of chocolate - and no one in his household eats chocolate, so it sits there SCREAMING at me every weekend! I just tell him to throw it out.

And being the Aussie I am, if I see a pack of TimTams (chocolate biscuits) I just have to have them. Then I down them in one sitting and just want to cry myself to sleep :( waaa