Best strength training routine?

Options
SpartyOn33
SpartyOn33 Posts: 11 Member
I have been following a 12-week strength training routine from Simply Shredded - Ultimate Female Training Guide

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Basically it has me doing 3 x 4 week routines based off number of reps and the amount of weight you can lift each time. So for weeks 1-4, I have been following this routine:

Monday - Upper Body A - 3 sets of 10 reps at max weight that I can do for 10 reps without sacrificing form
Bench Press
Bent over row
Military Press
Tricep Extension
Dumbbell Curl
HIIT for 20 minutes on elliptical

Tuesday - Lower Body A - 3 sets of 10 reps at max weight that I can do for 10 reps without sacrificing form
Squat
Deadlift
Leg extension
leg curl
Standing Calf Raise
Abs - Lying leg raise
Abs - Swiss ball crunch

Wednesday - HIIT for 30 on elliptical

Thursday - Upper Body B - 3 sets of 10 reps at max weight that I can do for 10 reps without sacrificing form
Dips
Pull ups
Side Lateral raises
Tricep cable pressdown
cable curl
HIIT- 20 min on elliptical

Friday - Lower Body B - 3 sets of 10 reps at max weight that I can do for 10 reps without sacrificing form
Deadlift
leg press
lunges
seated calf raise
Shrugs with dumbbell
Abs - incline crunch
Back extension

Saturday - HIIT - 30 min on ellpitical

Sunday - Rest

Weeks 5-8 - Same lifting routine, but decrease to 3 x 6-8 reps

Week 9-12 - Same lifting routine, but decrease to 3 x 4-6 reps

With that said, I have had a few people come up to me and say that I'm doing it wrong, that I need to focus on only two opposing muscle groups each day (Monday - Chest and triceps, Tuesday - Lower body, Wednesday - Back and biceps, Friday - Lower body, Saturday - Shoulders and abs.. or something along those lines)

I have seen pretty damn good results from the routine that I've been doing, and find myself upping the weight almost every week... but are those people right? Should I be only focusing on two muscle groups per day?

I'm thinking about finishing the 12 week program, and then starting on the other routine. Or should I just forget about Simply Shredded and go with their lifting routine?

HELP PLEASE!!

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of strength training programs out there, and everyone will tell you what their favorite is; Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting, LiveFit, etc. The best program for you is the one you can actually stick to! If you are seeing results and are happy with this one, stick it out. While you're working on this one you can also start researching others as a next step. It looks like this program has you doing a lot of the big lifts (squat, deadlift, overhead press...) which work your whole body and will help you see results. It's hard when there is so much conflicting information, but try not to overthink it and get discouraged. You've stepped into the weight room, and that can be the hardest part. Good luck! :smile:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with kat on this.

Your work-out looks just fine - upper body day one day followed by lower body the next.

Plus, you've indicated that you are seeing the results you wanted to see (i.e. it seems you are measuring 'success' by going up in weight - and you are doing that). So, sounds like it's a good plan!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Just to throw in an opinion on another program-I'm doing Live Fit right now which is all splits similar to what you list and I'm planning to do simply shredded when I finish. Live Fit for 8 of the 12 weeks is all combos of split weight routines and cardio 6 days a week and it is freaking tedious! 4 of the 6 days have cardio and the workouts take about an hour and half each. Its also missing a lot of the big lifts which I happen to really enjoy. I'm looking forward to getting into simply shredded. I actually considered dropping Live Fit and going right over to Simply Shredded but I'm seeing good results on the weight loss side so I'm sticking it out. So I agree, if its working stick with it and don't worry about what others are advising!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Just to throw in an opinion on another program-I'm doing Live Fit right now which is all splits similar to what you list and I'm planning to do simply shredded when I finish. Live Fit for 8 of the 12 weeks is all combos of split weight routines and cardio 6 days a week and it is freaking tedious! 4 of the 6 days have cardio and the workouts take about an hour and half each. Its also missing a lot of the big lifts which I happen to really enjoy. I'm looking forward to getting into simply shredded. I actually considered dropping Live Fit and going right over to Simply Shredded but I'm seeing good results on the weight loss side so I'm sticking it out. So I agree, if its working stick with it and don't worry about what others are advising!

I went off LiveFit at about week 7 and went to NROL4W for the same reason of the big lifts... And because I really hate cardio :)
  • craftybirdy
    Options
    I'm on my last month of the Simply Shredded program too. I'm pretty happy with the results, even though I haven't been following the cardio portion. Not really sure what I'm doing next but I've considered the last 3 months my start-up for heavy lifting. I've gotten comfortable being in the weight room, feel I'm performing the moves with good form and seeing results (getting smaller and increasing wieghts. I think it's been a great program overall.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have been following a 12-week strength training routine from Simply Shredded - Ultimate Female Training Guide

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Basically it has me doing 3 x 4 week routines based off number of reps and the amount of weight you can lift each time. So for weeks 1-4, I have been following this routine:

Monday - Upper Body A - 3 sets of 10 reps at max weight that I can do for 10 reps without sacrificing form
    Bench Press
    Bent over row
    Military Press
    Tricep Extension
    Dumbbell Curl
    HIIT for 20 minutes on elliptical

Tuesday - Lower Body A - 3 sets of 10 reps at max weight that I can do for 10 reps without sacrificing form
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Leg extension
    leg curl
    Standing Calf Raise
    Abs - Lying leg raise
    Abs - Swiss ball crunch

Wednesday - HIIT for 30 on elliptical

Thursday - Upper Body B - 3 sets of 10 reps at max weight that I can do for 10 reps without sacrificing form
    Dips
    Pull ups
    Side Lateral raises
    Tricep cable pressdown
    cable curl
    HIIT- 20 min on elliptical

Friday - Lower Body B - 3 sets of 10 reps at max weight that I can do for 10 reps without sacrificing form
    Deadlift
    leg press
    lunges
    seated calf raise
    Shrugs with dumbbell
    Abs - incline crunch
    Back extension

Saturday - HIIT - 30 min on ellpitical

Sunday - Rest

Weeks 5-8 - Same lifting routine, but decrease to 3 x 6-8 reps

Week 9-12 - Same lifting routine, but decrease to 3 x 4-6 reps

With that said, I have had a few people come up to me and say that I'm doing it wrong, that I need to focus on only two opposing muscle groups each day (Monday - Chest and triceps, Tuesday - Lower body, Wednesday - Back and biceps, Friday - Lower body, Saturday - Shoulders and abs.. or something along those lines)

I have seen pretty damn good results from the routine that I've been doing, and find myself upping the weight almost every week... but are those people right? Should I be only focusing on two muscle groups per day?

I'm thinking about finishing the 12 week program, and then starting on the other routine. Or should I just forget about Simply Shredded and go with their lifting routine?

HELP PLEASE!!

do not let them sway you. This is the same routine I started with and still follow it to date (with various modifications) by the end of the first 4 wks, i was noticing a difference in my body as well as about a 20% increase in weights. I Super Set most of the lifts as well, b/c i don't have a lot of time in the gym (meaning i'd do the bench go straight to the curls, back to bench...yada yada - thru the 3 sets of ea. & then repeat with the next two sets & continue).

If your form is good, then u are good. Sticking with it is key. There are definately advantages to doing things certain ways but if you're just getting started I'd stick with this & tweak as you go. I'm in the begining of my 3rd 12 wks of lifting.
  • SpartyOn33
    SpartyOn33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! I feel a lot better knowing I'm on the right track! I just finished weeks 1-4 on Saturday, and now on weeks 5-8. I was pretty impressed with that whole article on Simply Shredded, it makes a lot of sense to me. I've lifted a lot of my life, but never in the "heavy" range.. so that portion is new to me. Definitely seeing good results!

The real question is, what do you do when the 12 weeks are over? Do you start from week 1 again doing 3x10 reps, but now at a heavier weight than when you first started? Or simply keep upping the weight doing 3x5 reps like in weeks 9-12?

Thanks for all your responses!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! I feel a lot better knowing I'm on the right track! I just finished weeks 1-4 on Saturday, and now on weeks 5-8. I was pretty impressed with that whole article on Simply Shredded, it makes a lot of sense to me. I've lifted a lot of my life, but never in the "heavy" range.. so that portion is new to me. Definitely seeing good results!

The real question is, what do you do when the 12 weeks are over? Do you start from week 1 again doing 3x10 reps, but now at a heavier weight than when you first started? Or simply keep upping the weight doing 3x5 reps like in weeks 9-12?

Thanks for all your responses!
    That's what i've done thus far. i do like a 15-20% increase in weight. and i've adjusted the actual lifts & schedule. I'm currently doing all the upper & lower twice a wk for intensity's sake.

**i may switch up to a new routine at some point - i know it would challenge my body, but i'm such a weirdo, i know this is working so i don't want to give it up LOL
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've followed various lifting methodologies over time, and it all boils down to this: if you do the work you get the results. So long as you are working hard and your form is good, no one can tell you that you are doing it wrong.