Recipes

Options
I made a chicken bean chili last week that had less than 400 calories a serving and both hubby and I were stuffed after eating it. It kept me full enough that I didn't graze after dinner (which is huge for me).

I don't have an exact recipe because I winged it with what I had in the house, but the basic idea was:

1 package chicken thighs cut into 1" cubes
2 medium zucchini diced
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can white beans mashed up
1 large onion diced
1 bell pepper diced
5 gloves garlic
1 jalapeno diced
1 -2 tbls chili powder
1-2 tbls paprika
cumin (1/2-1tbls depending on your liking)
ground coriander
cinnamon
salt
pepper
beer
chicken broth

Saute diced onions and peppers in oil until soft, add garlic and spices. Toast spices for a minute or two. Add canned tomatoes and their juices along with beer. Add chicken and simmer (adding broth as needed to keep chicken covered). Add beans and zucchini and simmer until chili reaches the thickness you like.

You can also add chili's in adobo for more heat and flavor and you can add fine corn meal to thick up the chili more if you like.

Replies

• clhous03
    Options
    That sounds soooo good. I wonder if I could make it without the chicken and with vegetarian broth?
  • owllison
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely make it without the chicken. I make a similar recipe, but vegetarian. I don't usually add any broth, beer, or other liquid, because I find that the diced tomatoes add enough liquid. I just toss in whatever veggies and beans I have on hand. Make sure you rinse the beans if you are using canned because I find that the liquid is a bit "tinny" and can be somewhat gross looking (especially if you are using black beans, which are my favourite). I love to add mushrooms, corn, fresh cilantro, and a little bit of chipotle puree (which I make by just blending up a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce). It's a very versatile recipe, and beans are nutritious!
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Here's my new favorite recipe.

Zucchini noodle lasagna! (serves 4)

Ingredients:
    2 large zucchinis, thinly sliced to be used as noodle substitute
    1/2 an onion (chopped)
    1 portabello mushroom (chopped)
    2 cup of spinach
    2 cups of mozzarella cheese
    1/2 can corn
    1/2 jar pasta sauce
    2 tbsp evoo

Instructions:
    Sautee your veggies (except your zucchini noodles), add your pasta sauce and let it simmer for a few mins. I like to add a little bit of salt and garlic powder, too. Layer your zucchini noodles, sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 for about 30 mins and enjoy! Super easy, vegetarian friendly and only about 250 calories per serving!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I made this Asian Style Slaw the other day, it was SO good and easy! I cut the oil down to 2 tbsp, this made is 164 calories per serving (1/4 of the recipe). This is going to be a staple for me! I think I am going to cut the oil even more next time - maybe to 1TBSP, I don't think its really necessary.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/asian-style-slaw-recipe/index.html
  • crops2dawn
    crops2dawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ohhh, that slaw dish looks yummyyy! I would omit the sugar in it though...I personally don't like my salad sweet...more tangy.... I love vinegar! I make a slaw salad....using the bag of slaw mix with carrots, 1 green peppers diced finely 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1T olive oil salt pepper and paprika, let it soak over night and enjoy for lunch the next day. It's 63 calories per serving.
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    The flavor was perfect for me, not very sweet at all, and the serving is *huge* (I essentially eat it as most of my dinner - its half the bag of coleslaw mix) - the actual serving size (1/12 of the recipe) is only 55 calories. Brown sugar is necessary to balance out the lemon and vinegar, common in many asian recipes.
  • crops2dawn
    crops2dawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The flavor was perfect for me, not very sweet at all, and the serving is *huge* (I essentially eat it as most of my dinner - its half the bag of coleslaw mix) - the actual serving size (1/12 of the recipe) is only 55 calories. Brown sugar is necessary to balance out the lemon and vinegar, common in many asian recipes.

It does sound good...gonna try it out next week....thanks!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I made some delicious turkey burgers tonight. My husband said they have been his favorite so far.

16oz ground turkey breast
    1 egg white
    2 green onions
    2 tbsp Worcestershire
    1 tsp minced garlic

MFP came up with 141 calories per burger. Recipe makes four. I was at 305 with a Sara Lee Smooth and Healthy wheat bun (120 calories), tomatoes, pickles, and mustard and a mixed green side salad with balsamic dressing.
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Oh the green onions are a great idea in turkey burgers, I'll have to try that!

I made this amazing Vietnamese Lemongrass chicken tonight, its phenomenal!

http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-vietnamese-lemongrass-chicken/2/

I used 10oz of chicken breast, and used 1 tbsp of vegetable oil. 4 servings = 150 calories each.
  • sspayde
    sspayde Posts: 11
    Options
    One of my favorite new lunches is a veggie filled chicken wrap.
    1 whole wheat medium size tortilla (about 130cal)
    1/2 cup diced chicken breast (about 100cal)
    a handful of fresh baby spinach (about 25cal i think)
    4 cherry tomatoes sliced (about 20cal)
    Spicy Wholly Guacamole - you can find the packets at the store (about 45 cal in the amount I use)
    The whole thing makes for a nutritious and delicious low-cal lunch for around 300cal. Sometimes I add spicy mustard too and that only adds 5 calories. So this way I can eat a flavorful healthy lunch and still have plenty of calories for dinner. It's great fuel for my workouts too!
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: bump
  • nicole3110
    Options
    We did turkey burgers again tonight. I just did a package of ground turkey, 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese, worcestershire sauce and salt/pepper. Cooked with less than a tablespoon of olive oil. When burgers were brown on both sides, I added s bit of water to the pan, covered and let steam for a few minutes (great way to cook turkey burgers w/o adding fat but keeping moist). When burgers were done, I took them out to rest and added a sliced onion and 2 sliced portabello mushrooms to the pan and let cook down. No bun and served with veggie of your choice (we did beets)...total dinner was just over 300 calories :)
  • kimmmariee
    Options
    One of my friends shared the BEST pancake recipe ever with me:

Ingredients:
    4 egg whites
    1/2 banana
    1/3 cup old fashioned oats
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp baking powder

Directions:
    -put in blender and blend until fully mixed
    -pour batter into pan and flip when one side fully cooked
    -serve with honey and sliced 1/2 banana
    -makes 3 pancakes

Nutrition:
    Calories: 230 (76 per pancake!)
    Fat: 3 g
    Protein: 24g
    Sugar: 8g

They were so filling I only ate two. Plus it's a delicious and pancake-like consistency that's also sweet without too much sugar. You can put anything on them but I prefer honey :)
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    The pancakes sound so good, I'm going to try them tomorrow!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Skinny chicken parmesan casserole for dinner tonight.

http://skinnymom.com/2013/01/21/skinny-chicken-parmesan-casserole/?_szp=128266
  • magpiej
    magpiej Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not - Paula Deen's Taco soup is delicious, nutritious and full of protein and fiber. Under 400 cal for a 1.5 cup serving.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I love my fresh salmon steaks, eat a fish steak every day. I cook for one, and can't get enough of super fresh veggies so this is what my menu looks like. Feel free to add me if you need more fish advice or support in general- best protein and good fatty acid source! Omega 3!

RECIPE 1:
    Poached tomato and herb salmon

1 serving, 250cal

100g tinned tomatoes
    1/2 onion
    1 garlic clove
    1tsp olive oil
    1tsp soy sauce
    1tsp vinegar
    pepper to taste
    basil to taste
    parsley to taste

1 cup spinach
    1/2 cup broccoli

Add oil to hot pan and add mashed garlic and sliced onion. Once it starts to brown, add the tinned tomato, soy, vinegar, pepper, basil and parsley (and any other herbs you love of course). Once it is simmering away, push it to the side and place down the salmon fillet. Cover with a lid and let cook for 5 mins, then flip the salmon and cook for another 5 mins or so.

Meanwhile, the spinach and broccoli (or whatever veggies you have on hand) can be steamed :) I just put mine in a bowl of boiling water twice for broccoli, once for spinach (I have only one hotplate in my tiny dorm room here).

Serve the veggies on the side and the salmon/tomato on a separate dish and there you go!! The salmon melted in my mouth, it's the best I have ever cooked it to be honest.

I know this seems like a low calorie meal, but I tend to space out and have 4 meals a day so this is why! I would have added mushrooms if I had any on hand, so I would suggest this for next time ^^

RECIPE 2:
    Baked ginger salmon

1 serving, approx 250cal (depends on what veggies you choose)

1 salmon fillet
    2 cloves garlic
    1tbs soy sauce
    plenty of ginger
    lemon to squeeze
    pepper to taste

for the steamed veggie side, as much or your favourite greens! Maybe a potato if you can fit that too.

Simply get some foil and put all the ingredients (be sure to chop the garlic and ginger) together, making sure the salmon is covered well. I found chopping it into smaller pieces was better (flavour got in better). Make a little parcel, let it sit for about 15 mins then transfer to an oven at medium temperature for about 15 mins (I use a toaster oven, so this is up to you checking on it).